X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very low numbers for PTFC Academy

Yikes!
    I heard numbers were very low in the '05/'04 agegroups.

PCU was well represented. Outside of Westside, it does not look like even the alliance is a fan of Thorns Academy.

Comment

Nobody is really happy with the timbers in youth sports. Having a for profit company in youth sports isn't ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        PCU was well represented. Outside of Westside, it does not look like even the alliance is a fan of Thorns Academy.
        Girls Academy is being run just like any regular club with only 2-3 practices/week but with fewer games & much more travel. Also much less total playing time per player due to strict substitution rules & fewer games and no other soccer allowed to pick up minutes. No HS soccer to look forward to like your older sisters. Not enough time for other sports, studying & a social life if you're traveling across Pdx or the state to practice & then traveling to other states for league games. Pros for staying at your local Alliance club are much higher. Cool to have Tobin at tryouts but 6th & 7th grade girls from other Alliance clubs besides Westside can probably see too many pros for staying put. Alliance directors and coaches are also pointing these pros out to their members. Westside girls are pretty close to Thorns training so it's like switching to a similar club but one with more bling and bragging rights. If you don't mind the game travel or playing HS ball when that time comes, why not?

Comment

Yikes!
          90 kids

Comment

Yikes!
            That's sad to me. I hate to see them end the program.

Comment

Nobody is really happy with the timbers in youth sports. Having a for profit company in youth sports isn't ideal.
              Nothing wrong with taking profit. That's how we get ahead in life.

Comment

Yikes!
                You have bad sources for information. There were between 80 & 90 2004 & 2005 age group players who attended both nights of the Thorns Academy tryouts.

Not like it was hard to confirm. You just walk into Providence Park and count the numbers. You are not well informed.

Comment

Boys Tryouts 04/05

Yikes!
                  I would estimate low 30's for each of the o4/05 boys age groups, but a large amount of spots were already offered and accepted prior to tryouts. The "tryouts" were really just a final look at the second choice players who didn't make the initial short list. It seemed obvious to me based on the format that the players had been pre-selected and just had to perform satisfactory during the scrimmages. There probably were a few bubble players that the tryout could have helped/hurt but anyone not on the watch list already wasn't really going to be given any serious consideration.

Comment

Yikes!
                    That's too bad. Clubs are not recommending working with the organization so its probably going to get worse and worse over time.

Comment

So it just PCU kids? Ugh.

Comment

80-90 '04 boys from the little DA's had a separate tryout 2 weeks ago. This week's open tryout was mainly for the boys are playing at clubs outside of the DA program.

Comment

How many of the older boys tried out? My son decided not to try out this year so I'm just curious. I must admit it was a relief, those try outs are hard to watch. Although it is a bummer because right when slower maturing boys hit their stride they give up the dream realizing that the teams are already picked before they get there.

Comment

That's too bad. Clubs are not recommending working with the organization so its probably going to get worse and worse over time.
                            Why is it too bad?

Comment

How many of the older boys tried out? My son decided not to try out this year so I'm just curious. I must admit it was a relief, those try outs are hard to watch. Although it is a bummer because right when slower maturing boys hit their stride they give up the dream realizing that the teams are already picked before they get there.
                              There's a life lesson in there somewhere...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X