Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I completely agree with you. Problem is no one in the USA has any real interest in low cost soccer for girls for the reasons I outlined above. Not in enough areas of the country to make any dent in the current model. So no one has any real incentive to offer it.

NYCFC are owned by one of the richest familes/countries in the world. Man City spend money on players like its nothing. Is the GDA free there ? No. Would it make a hge statement in the NY area if it was? Of course. Would they attract more talent to the Club. Probably. And yes it it would be at the expennse of other Clubs unless they too cut prices. Problem is, making it free would totally break the model for many Clubs and make it more elite and more select. fewer people could justify playing GDA at lesser clubs becasue they would be jsut that.

And yet NYCFC have not done it. It keeps the cozy status quo that currently exists and everyone makes money.

One idea I had was that if player in the GDA makes say 4 NT camps or gets 2 caps - her tuition and travel is free (paid for by the USSF) AND the Club gets to offer a scholarship credit to another low income player. That would at least incent Clubs to develop players.

Im sure there are holes in my idea, but something like this has to happen to attempt to align behavior with economics.or nothing will change no matter the league
    Yes the giant hole in your plan is that USSF doesn't want to spend any money on GDA or even BDA. They're pushing the costs off onto the GDA clubs. USSF is doling out a tiny bit of money across all the clubs for scholarships, about one player per team. Anything above and beyond that is up to the clubs to fund, along with clubs being pressured to keep costs low. Same with BDA. MLS and non MLS clubs alike bear the burden of reducing fees and covering expenses. In a survey of MLS clubs last year they reported spending between a low of $1M to a high of $4M on their DA programs. Their incentive is to develop home grown players but with restrictions on youth "labor" and "selling" players, even when they make that happen they don't see the same financial benefits they do internationally.

Comment

Rough opening weekend for Long Island clubs. Both with three loses.

Comment

Rough opening weekend for Long Island clubs. Both with three loses.
        Look for player and team improvement not winning games. LI girl's soccer is not really set up to be able to produce super teams. It is very difficult.

And probably not that worthwhile to achieve or someone would have figured out how to accomplish it.

Comment

Look for player and team improvement not winning games. LI girl's soccer is not really set up to be able to produce super teams. It is very difficult.

And probably not that worthwhile to achieve or someone would have figured out how to accomplish it.
          True. However, LI do not seem to be producing that many quality player recently. Is it a function of the dysfunction?

Comment

Not LI per se but scuttlebutt on BOTN is an NYCFC player is doing GDA AND high school simultaneously. If true that will go over like a fart in church with USSF and college coaches.

Comment

Not LI per se but scuttlebutt on BOTN is an NYCFC player is doing GDA AND high school simultaneously. If true that will go over like a fart in church with USSF and college coaches.
              The rules should certainly be followed and the issue with things like this is that many people based decisions on adhering to the rules. As soon as you start allowing exceptions, then it flies in the face of those that are following them (and chose accordingly).

But besides the rules, that's crazy in terms of the amount of time and overuse...2 hours of HS x 5 days and then 1.5 hours x 4 days + multiple games seems like a sure way to get injured.

Comment

The rules should certainly be followed and the issue with things like this is that many people based decisions on adhering to the rules. As soon as you start allowing exceptions, then it flies in the face of those that are following them (and chose accordingly).

But besides the rules, that's crazy in terms of the amount of time and overuse...2 hours of HS x 5 days and then 1.5 hours x 4 days + multiple games seems like a sure way to get injured.
                Agreed. Having waivers is controversial enough but a flagrant disregard for the rules sets a very bad tone. Player and parents are fools

Comment

Agreed. Having waivers is controversial enough but a flagrant disregard for the rules sets a very bad tone. Player and parents are fools
                  Half of LISC U14 & U15 is simultaneously playing GDA and school ball, mostly JV though. JV=no public recaps or write ups. Club gave their "blessing".

Comment

Half of LISC U14 & U15 is simultaneously playing GDA and school ball, mostly JV though. JV=no public recaps or write ups. Club gave their "blessing".
                    The club can only grant waivers which would allow them to play school ball and then return to GDA after the season ends. It is quite clear they are not allowed to do both simultaneously.

I guess the other half of LISC is also playing for other club teams simultaneously. Seems like quite a mess and is a slap in the face to what the GDA is supposed to be.

Comment

The club can only grant waivers which would allow them to play school ball and then return to GDA after the season ends. It is quite clear they are not allowed to do both simultaneously.

I guess the other half of LISC is also playing for other club teams simultaneously. Seems like quite a mess and is a slap in the face to what the GDA is supposed to be.
                      It's only a rule until you get caught

Comment

It really is an insult to the program and the kids willing to give it up. The club should be tossed immediately, I have no sympathy for the families knowingly breaking the rules either

Comment

It's only a rule until you get caught
                          Easy enough to email the powers that be. If any player gets their name mentioned in the paper for HS play there's the proof

Comment

It really is an insult to the program and the kids willing to give it up. The club should be tossed immediately, I have no sympathy for the families knowingly breaking the rules either
                            what a stupid comment. Why should a Club and 20 60 other kids be penalized for one player lying?

Comment

You completely miss the point of this. You want to penalize kids who have made sacrifices in good faith for the actions one misguided kid and family? Beyond dumb and no way that will happen.

I have total sympathy for the Club. No way they sanctioned it or were aware of it.

Your punishment just does not fit the crime

Comment

You completely miss the point of this. You want to penalize kids who have made sacrifices in good faith for the actions one misguided kid and family? Beyond dumb and no way that will happen.

I have total sympathy for the Club. No way they sanctioned it or were aware of it.

Your punishment just does not fit the crime
                                The responses may be directed at different clubs - NYCFC & LISC. I believe some responses were directed at LISC if they willingly gave their "blessing" for kids to play HS and GDA. In that case, the club is breaking the rules so they can get enough kids to survive.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X