Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#Delusuional Racist Trump Supporters stop posting on TS.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Keep up. It's not a ranking, it's a statement to GTFOOTW while you're white-knuckling through traffic as the rest of us have places to be...

"When slow drivers are in both the right and left lanes of a highway, faster drivers have to weave back and forth to maintain their speed. And as it turns out, the biggest predictor of an accident is actually a driver’s variance from the average speed of traffic around it, not speeding. That means all that slowing down, weaving between lanes, and speeding up by fast drivers to get around slow drivers is what causes the most car accidents.

In fact, a car in the left lane going 5 mph slower than the flow of traffic is far more likely to cause an accident than a car going 5 mph faster—even if the slower car is already going the speed limit. That’s why so many states have laws regarding left lanes as passing only. And many state highway patrol agencies, including Washington, Texas, and Ohio, are starting to crack down on drivers who don’t move over. So if you get a ticket for driving in the left lane, now you know why."
    Your first paragraph describes an impatient driver.
    I have driven many, many miles. For some years I drove as an occupation. My observations have been that the impatient driver , the ones that weave in and out of traffic are the biggest problem.

Comment

You see, the point is that cars going below 55 should be in the right lane and those choosing to pass them, should make a legal lane change into the passing lane and do that, NEVER EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT IN DOING SO.
      Oh, stuff your passive-aggressive driving up your arse. You are not the police. If you are doing 55 in the left lane and the car behind you is doing 70, just get out of the way. On the WilburMerrit Parkway, you are never going to pass anything except a tractor trailer truck at 55, anyway, so stay right and stay inline with slower traffic and don't pretend like you might pass something by hogging the left lane.

And, before you say anything, yes, I have attended a horrific accident on the WilburMerrit Parkway, it's a dangerous road for lots of reasons, but self-righteously hogging the fast lane at 55 because "sometime in the next 10 miles you are going to pass that guy doing 54" only makes the parkway more dangerous.

Oh, and get all the commercial traffic off it, like NY does, all of it.

Comment

And none of those states have laws that allow you to exceed the posted speed limit when passing another vehicle or traveling in the passing lane.

Actually, I know two state troopers (one in your state, one in another NE state) and they cannot concern themselves with cars going less than 15-20 miles over the speed limit. They want traffic flowing, and as long as you sit there in the left lane white-knuckling your way along with your head on a swivel terrified to be out and about, they are more likely to pull you over than someone trying to do 65 in a 55. That's just the reality.

Comment

Actually, I know two state troopers (one in your state, one in another NE state) and they cannot concern themselves with cars going less than 15-20 miles over the speed limit. They want traffic flowing, and as long as you sit there in the left lane white-knuckling your way along with your head on a swivel terrified to be out and about, they are more likely to pull you over than someone trying to do 65 in a 55. That's just the reality.
          That's not always true. I was in a pack of cars headed south on 91 through Rocky Hill at about 70 and I got pulled over even though I was in the middle of the pack. The cop just profiled my car (it stands out) and couldn't care less that everyone else was doing the same speed as me.

So, I would say, mostly, it is true that cops want traffic moving and only pull that one guy flying past the pack ... sometimes they jump into the herd and just pick a car out.

As an aside, I once asked a state police officer why I see state police speeding all the time. Essentially, he said so that "citizens" don't line up behind him in a "V" formation and, truth be told, because he can.

Comment

Sadly, we aren't even able to pull off driverless trains yet, so mainstream, nationwide driverless cars are more than an entire century away.
            Don't take that bet in Vegas.

Technology ramps faster, not slower as it moves forward.

In 2010, it was predicted that smart phones would essentially replace all other portable phones within a decade. They were also predicted to take at least 50% of land line phone traffic and create a vacuum there as well. Skeptics laughed at this.

I read yesterday that FEDEX or UPS, can't remember which, just reserved something like 150 of Tesla's driverless semi trucks.

It may not even take 50 years before driverless vehicles dominate the roads in America.

Comment

That's not always true. I was in a pack of cars headed south on 91 through Rocky Hill at about 70 and I got pulled over even though I was in the middle of the pack. The cop just profiled my car (it stands out) and couldn't care less that everyone else was doing the same speed as me.

So, I would say, mostly, it is true that cops want traffic moving and only pull that one guy flying past the pack ... sometimes they jump into the herd and just pick a car out.

As an aside, I once asked a state police officer why I see state police speeding all the time. Essentially, he said so that "citizens" don't line up behind him in a "V" formation and, truth be told, because he can.
              They will profile cars and plates. NH targets Mass plates because...well...it's Mass.

So, there will always be outliers but as long as you are driving safe and within a reasonable speed (open to interpretation) you'll be fine.

Comment

Oh, stuff your passive-aggressive driving up your arse. You are not the police. If you are doing 55 in the left lane and the car behind you is doing 70, just get out of the way. On the WilburMerrit Parkway, you are never going to pass anything except a tractor trailer truck at 55, anyway, so stay right and stay inline with slower traffic and don't pretend like you might pass something by hogging the left lane.

And, before you say anything, yes, I have attended a horrific accident on the WilburMerrit Parkway, it's a dangerous road for lots of reasons, but self-righteously hogging the fast lane at 55 because "sometime in the next 10 miles you are going to pass that guy doing 54" only makes the parkway more dangerous.

Oh, and get all the commercial traffic off it, like NY does, all of it.
                No, I'm not the police. But it's my job to teach these new drivers to respect and drive within the law and that's what we will do, on the Merritt or off, left lane or right, never exceeding the speed limit.

Comment

No, I'm not the police. But it's my job to teach these new drivers to respect and drive within the law and that's what we will do, on the Merritt or off, left lane or right, never exceeding the speed limit.
                  Whatya' gonna' do...make a citizen's arrest? Even though your actions cause more accidents than just moving over instead of pontificating? Do you pull over and pick up litter? Call 911 on someone dialing their phone? California Roll through a stop sign? Where do you and your hall-monitor mentality stop?

Comment

Your anecdotal contribution is just that. A casual observation from a couple of cops who decided when and how they want to enforce the letter of the law. That's what cops do, interpret the law. In fact, that's what every driver does.

Traffic flows well at the speed limit, when everyone chooses to obey it.

It's always a choice. A choice to follow the law or a choice to break the law. It's equally a choice for the police to decide at what level they decide to enforce the law.

And go ask your cop pals why with certain types or looks of drivers the law is enforced much more strictly than with other types or looks of drivers.

Lastly, last time I looked when driving, my knuckles were the healthy color they always are.

Comment

Don't take that bet in Vegas.

Technology ramps faster, not slower as it moves forward.

In 2010, it was predicted that smart phones would essentially replace all other portable phones within a decade. They were also predicted to take at least 50% of land line phone traffic and create a vacuum there as well. Skeptics laughed at this.

I read yesterday that FEDEX or UPS, can't remember which, just reserved something like 150 of Tesla's driverless semi trucks.

It may not even take 50 years before driverless vehicles dominate the roads in America.
                      Have you seen how poorly marked our roads are, how inconsistent our kerbs are, how poorly lit most of our roadways are? There's no frame of reference for driverless cars outside of a controlled area within a large city, where people can use light rail, buses, and bikes, and don't need cars. And, since we haven't achieved safe, driverless trains -- really, trains are on a closed system, on a track, their path is entirely predictable, what could possibly be the excuse for trains in America crashing in 2017?? -- don't hold your breath for driverless cars.

Besides, do we really want driverless cars? I mean, you must own a real shtbox not to enjoy driving it yourself. What is it, a Toyota Blandmobile? Get a taxi, Lyft, or Uber if you want to be a passenger.

Comment

Folks like you, with their passive-aggressive self righteousness, cause half the accidents. Stay home. Take the bus. Save a life.

Comment

Your anecdotal contribution is just that. A casual observation from a couple of cops who decided when and how they want to enforce the letter of the law. That's what cops do, interpret the law. In fact, that's what every driver does.

Traffic flows well at the speed limit, when everyone chooses to obey it.

It's always a choice. A choice to follow the law or a choice to break the law. It's equally a choice for the police to decide at what level they decide to enforce the law.

And go ask your cop pals why with certain types or looks of drivers the law is enforced much more strictly than with other types or looks of drivers.

Lastly, last time I looked when driving, my knuckles were the healthy color they always are.
                          OK, we agree then. So, those of us not out for a Sunday drive as you to follow the law:

Driving in right-hand lane. (a) Upon all highways, each vehicle, other than a vehicle described in subsection (c) of this section, shall be driven upon the right, except (1) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (2) when overtaking and passing pedestrians, parked vehicles, animals or obstructions on the right side of the highway, (3) when the right side of a highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, (4) on a highway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic, or (5) on a highway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(c) Any vehicle which exceeds the maximum width limitations specified in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of section 14-262 and operates on an interstate highway with a special permit issued by the Commissioner of Transportation under the provisions of section 14-270, shall be driven in the extreme right lane of such highway, except (1) when such special permit authorizes operation in a traffic lane other than the extreme right lane, (2) when overtaking and passing parked vehicles, animals or obstructions on the right side of such highway, (3) when the right side of such highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, or (4) at such locations where access to or egress from such highway is provided on the left.

Comment

Whatya' gonna' do...make a citizen's arrest? Even though your actions cause more accidents than just moving over instead of pontificating? Do you pull over and pick up litter? Call 911 on someone dialing their phone? California Roll through a stop sign? Where do you and your hall-monitor mentality stop?

No, but I've been known to report overly aggressive drivers to the police and have even seen a few of them pulled over just a few miles further up the road. Maybe it was my call, maybe it wasn't.

I've been involved in four accidents in my life. None of them have found me to be at fault. I've never been in an accident on a highway and in fact, I've also been rear ended four times in a driving school car and in each case, the driver behind me was ticketed. You call it pontificating. I call it driving safely. To each his own.

No, I don't pull over and pick up litter. But I have been known to give some community service and participate in great civic activities that helped clean up parks, riverways, and even some scenic roadways. Have you?

I've never reported anyone on a cell phone while driving, except for the time that I witnessed a driver hit a pedestrian and stuck around for the cops. When the cops asked me what I saw, I had to tell them that the driver was clearly on her phone. She denied it. The cop demanded her phone and looked at the log on it. She was arrested. Rightfully so, don't you think?

Never do a California roll. Legal stops, safety stops as law and situations demand.

My hall monitor mentality stops at the point where your actions do not interfere with my legal rights and personal safety. Where does your baseless criticism stop?

Comment

No, but I've been known to report overly aggressive drivers to the police and have even seen a few of them pulled over just a few miles further up the road. Maybe it was my call, maybe it wasn't.

I've been involved in four accidents in my life. None of them have found me to be at fault. I've never been in an accident on a highway and in fact, I've also been rear ended four times in a driving school car and in each case, the driver behind me was ticketed. You call it pontificating. I call it driving safely. To each his own.

No, I don't pull over and pick up litter. But I have been known to give some community service and participate in great civic activities that helped clean up parks, riverways, and even some scenic roadways. Have you?

I've never reported anyone on a cell phone while driving, except for the time that I witnessed a driver hit a pedestrian and stuck around for the cops. When the cops asked me what I saw, I had to tell them that the driver was clearly on her phone. She denied it. The cop demanded her phone and looked at the log on it. She was arrested. Rightfully so, don't you think?

Never do a California roll. Legal stops, safety stops as law and situations demand.

My hall monitor mentality stops at the point where your actions do not interfere with my legal rights and personal safety. Where does your baseless criticism stop?
                              I think if the cop demands your phone, you make sure your phone is locked and you politely decline to hand it over.

Comment

I think if the cop demands your phone, you make sure your phone is locked and you politely decline to hand it over.
                                Just do a factory reset before the cop asks for it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X