Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They were a small club that catered to prep school athletes. Had a little niche and was very effective. Unfortunately they have sold out and will join GPS. It is always like GPS to go ahead and ruin a good thing by taking it over.

Sold out is more like it...MOODEY needed a paying job...with an affiliation..no more backing as he is not with Berkshire....wonder why?

Comment

Not too sure about the whole history, this is our first year. Wouldn't even go as far as the poster above and call it a 'club' since its just a few teams in the boy's recruiting age group, no u-littles, girls, etc. It is drawn by invite from about 7 prep schools - Berkshire, Taft, Avon, So Kent, Salisbury, Hotchkiss, Loomis with enough to field maybe three teams. They took two team's worth down to IMG in Fla in December.

They are practicing Wed and Sunday in NW CT for now indoors, and will have gym sessions on another night. They will be doing showcase tournaments, some private showcases, and playing friendlies with academy clubs or colleges depending on the age groups. I think they will play a league in the spring as well as tournaments. (NPL?)

The head coach was the former coach of Berkshire. They are seemingly affiliated with GPS this year, but the involvement was basically using their online registration system for the sign ups. Besides their patch on the shirt, I've seen little evidence of a "takeover".

I guess it would be convenient if your son was at one of those schools, as the kids can work together to get to practices and games. They are understanding that school comes first. I like that it is all pretty high level kids. Without having as much as a gotsoccer profile, they get into high brackets in showcase tournaments. Also, there is quite a healthy mix of international students on the teams. My son knew various kids on other prep school teams from former clubs, etc. this will allow him to meet and play with even more (helping back in the regular season! )
      The above promotion is from Moodey himself, save your MONEY ($3,500) for sub-par coaching. Moodey did not coach Blackrock previously, Manhattan soccer did. Go else where for quality coaching..

Comment

The above promotion is from Moodey himself, save your MONEY ($3,500) for sub-par coaching. Moodey did not coach Blackrock previously, Manhattan soccer did. Go else where for quality coaching..
        NEWS FLASH: somebody on here doesn't like Moodey!

Comment

I don't think you can compare Black Rock to other clubs, as the earlier poster said, it's a different animal.

However 2 prep school coaches highly recommended it to us this fall, and I value their opinion much more highly than any anonymous TS poster.

Comment

Moodey is not your typical U.S. coach. Although he grew up in the system, he has traveled enough, and coached enough talented players, to give more than lip service to the oft quoted "it's a players game." cliche that so many coaches say but so few truly believe.

My son played for Moodey at Berkshire and he was positive, allowing players to take chances and improve in highly successful, and not so, years.

I can't speak to the recent Blackrock endeavor, other than to say if parents are solely judging success by wins and losses at top ranked national tournaments they shouldn't bother to participate.

Comment

NEWS FLASH: somebody on here doesn't like Moodey!

Post the wins and losses....for Blackrock...exposed!

Comment

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer

I don't think you can compare Black Rock to other clubs, as the earlier poster said, it's a different animal.

However 2 prep school coaches highly recommended it to us this fall, and I value their opinion much more highly than any anonymous TS poster.
                One would have to wonder who would believe prep school coaches?! Not on your life! "I value their opinion", the prep school coaches are all affiliated with JM Management, lie at any cost to fund their bank account and ego. Stay with quality club if you want to soccer, but prep school for academics are the way to go for sure!

Comment

Actually, it wasn't fuknozzle. I wrote that in response to someone's question in January.
                  The base amount was less than $3000, but tournament costs beyond what was included adds to that, as it would for a similar traveling type club.

I would say that the real takeaway from joining this club is not the "coaching" as such, at the age the kids are at, this is much more a "play and train with some of the best available" (including some excellent internationals) and "Get into high brackets for recruiting type showcase tournaments". And that they do. Maybe that will fade, but they seem to be able to get into these high brackets without even any documented record (if you consider GotSoccer to be worth any more than the pixels that display it).

They have had very good results against several academy teams in the Atlantic and NE conference, the younger team went 2-0-1 at IMG (playing in U19), beat Continental FC Delco, tied Philly Union at an Academy showcase. Beat MatchFit 99/00, lost to LMSC at Mainline Friendlies in PA. Beat the Oakwood 16's team. The older group played in the SuperGroup @IMG (only tying IMG's U18 team), had similar results against the FC Delco and Philly teams in the Academy showcase, and beating HMMS Titans and FC Montco 99's at Mainline Friendlies. Lost 2-3 to Oakwood U18.

And I see 11 Berkshire players on the rosters, so if 11 of their players are "Not Good", as poster below contends, cant imagine how they keep winning the NEPSAC tournament every year...

Comment

One would have to wonder who would believe prep school coaches?! Not on your life! "I value their opinion", the prep school coaches are all affiliated with JM Management, lie at any cost to fund their bank account and ego. Stay with quality club if you want to soccer, but prep school for academics are the way to go for sure!
                    You, sir, are an idiot. Playing for Black Rock is by invitation only, and all the Right To Dream kids at area prep schools are players (i.e. kids who are better than just about every US player). I'm the one who made the statement, and it was not made in the context of trying to sign up my son or persuade me that the coaching at Black Rock was better. It was in the context of my son applying to prep schools and meeting with the soccer coaches because he's a very good player. And given that Club soccer needs to continue through prep school, they recommended Black Rock as a club that understands prep schools and their schedules and requirements.

Comment

You, sir, are an idiot. Playing for Black Rock is by invitation only, and all the Right To Dream kids at area prep schools are players (i.e. kids who are better than just about every US player). I'm the one who made the statement, and it was not made in the context of trying to sign up my son or persuade me that the coaching at Black Rock was better. It was in the context of my son applying to prep schools and meeting with the soccer coaches because he's a very good player. And given that Club soccer needs to continue through prep school, they recommended Black Rock as a club that understands prep schools and their schedules and requirements.
                      Extremely difficult playing standard club soccer while at prep school. Need to play spring sport, academic demands and typically no parents close by. Players are reliant on day students or coaches to get them to practice and games

Black Rock makes it easier for Black Rock players to play high level club. It's a win win

Comment

Actually, it wasn't fuknozzle. I wrote that in response to someone's question in January.
                        The base amount was less than $3000, but tournament costs beyond what was included adds to that, as it would for a similar traveling type club.

I would say that the real takeaway from joining this club is not the "coaching" as such, at the age the kids are at, this is much more a "play and train with some of the best available" (including some excellent internationals) and "Get into high brackets for recruiting type showcase tournaments". And that they do. Maybe that will fade, but they seem to be able to get into these high brackets without even any documented record (if you consider GotSoccer to be worth any more than the pixels that display it).

They have had very good results against several academy teams in the Atlantic and NE conference, the younger team went 2-0-1 at IMG (playing in U19), beat Continental FC Delco, tied Philly Union at an Academy showcase. Beat MatchFit 99/00, lost to LMSC at Mainline Friendlies in PA. Beat the Oakwood 16's team. The older group played in the SuperGroup @IMG (only tying IMG's U18 team), had similar results against the FC Delco and Philly teams in the Academy showcase, and beating HMMS Titans and FC Montco 99's at Mainline Friendlies. Lost 2-3 to Oakwood U18.

And I see 11 Berkshire players on the rosters, so if 11 of their players are "Not Good", as poster below contends, cant imagine how they keep winning the NEPSAC tournament every year...

"They won NEPSAC" - OK JM - we see through the smoke screen, how many players truly got better as the year progressed? Stagnation - so if you are looking for a politically venue go prep school but other wise save your money. Extortion is how Jon Moodey operates!

Comment

Extremely difficult playing standard club soccer while at prep school. Need to play spring sport, academic demands and typically no parents close by. Players are reliant on day students or coaches to get them to practice and games

Black Rock makes it easier for Black Rock players to play high level club. It's a win win
                          It is not a win-win if there is a lack of quality coaching.

Comment

ELEVEN STARTERS...no I think not and prior to the NEW Blackrock management the squad WON at IMG...can't compete against international teams...it is starting to unravel!

Comment

It is not a win-win if there is a lack of quality coaching.
                              Oh please ... these are showcase teams for high level prep school players trying to play and stay fit. They don't need Conte coaching them four days a week

Comment

Why hate on black Rock?

It really just sounds like one disgruntled parent, I'm guessing because their son wasn't selected.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X