Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are clueless if you think it’s all pace in those two players case. Yes they are fast but there are plenty of fast players out there that can miss a wide open shot never mind one under pressure. It’s the ability to put the ball in the net that sets players apart.
    Mace has 2 goal in her last 11 g i think - just when the schedule tightens. Dorsey has very little success other than pushing you by you and running.

It is as much WHO you score against as just scoring IF you are talking about playing at the next level and top players. Im not sold on either one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Just looked. (I know. Too much time on my hands.)

Averaging starting height excluding goalies.

UCLA 5 feet 5.4 inches.
      Duke 5 feet 7.6 inches

Average subs
      UCLA 5 feet 6 inches
      Duke 5 feet 7 inches

UCLA was giving up an average of 2 inches. Duke had no players shorter than 5 feet 5 inches. UCLA played 7 players 5'5" or shorter.

My daughter played D1 and at 5 feet 6.5 inches only ever shared the field with 1 other shorter player her entire 4 year career. Many coaches will favor size or speed over technique, skill and comfort on the ball.

I agree there was likely not a future NT player in the bunch. That alone doesn't worry me. US soccer has gotta stop thinking the answer is individuals, because you can't develop them sufficiently in the current system. We have to rise the level of play of a critical mass of teams, and UCLA's play is a huge step in the right direction.

Mace, who I expected to like, for UCLA was disappointing. Her game consisted of speed and 1 touch shots, crosses or passes. Often even when she received the ball in the final 1/3, with only 1 defender to beat for a better shot, or to draw and dump to a teammate. The announcers even commented on this aspect of her play.
      Not to waste your Saturday, but how tall were the center midfielders for UCLA. The one who controlled the play seemed taller. Am I wrong?

Comment

Were we watching the same game?

Duke sat back. And when they tried to pass out of pressure UCLA covered their strong feet and directed them into the double team. Breaking thru this intelligent defensive scheme at midfield required a bit more skill than many Duke players possessed. It wasn't a matter of tenacity, speed or even speed of play. Duke couldn't build thru the middle third.

And UCLA wasn't immune. When they subbed off a wide right midfielder- forward the substitute wasn't as technical and Duke quickly took advantage, trapping, stealing the ball and knocking it forward dangerously.

Julie Foudy kept commenting on how deep Racioppi was playing, wanting her to push forward because there were still 4 defenders behind her. I can't disagree more. If Racioppi had pushed forward UCLA would have easily combined passes thru the Duke backline. Duke was smart to park the bus and not allow UCLA to utilize their superior skills. Had UCLA had more space in the final 3rd it could have gotten ugly.

Skilled players, capable of playing with both feet, and of passing and combining to solve pressure make the game look easy. And they aren't relying on tenacity and speed.

I agree UCLA looked like they were hustling more because their scheme was to pressure further up the field, with the entire team involved. This required a lot of effort and energy which took a toll. Duke countered a bit when they tired and almost stole the game.
        ^^100 pct this. Bottom line Duke were not good enough to pass out of pressure and UCLA were not good enough in the final 3rd

Comment

Stanford looks better and will be more rested. They should win comfortably tomorrow.

Comment

At the half

Stanford 2 UCLA 0

What a surprise!😉

Comment

Final

Stanford 3 UCLA 2

Comment

Been kinda hoping whoever gave the game report post #255 would chime in again....

Comment

Been kinda hoping whoever gave the game report post #255 would chime in again....
                  Not that poster but here's my take. First half is business as usual as Stanford gets two early goals and is dominating possession. Second half starts with Stanford hitting the post and continuing to dominate. Suddenly UCLA finds some extra energy, trying everything they can to get the ball downfield, drawing a PK. Keeper almost blocks it but it goes in. Seemed like suddenly it was possible to do the impossible; score on Stanford! Another quick goal and we're tied. That looked like the signal for Stanford to awaken, score the go ahead goal, then run out the clock.
                  For most of the game Stanford looked a step above UCLA in terms of possession and overall play. UCLA had some players who could hang with their counterparts, but overall they could not. When it was over, I was wishing Stanford had played a more worthy opponent. There have been more competitive finals than this in recent years.

Comment

Hermann Trophy

McCaskill - South Carolina
                    Sullivan - Stanford
                    Fleming - UCLA

Likely the best three seniors.
                    A few underclass possibly better.

Comment

Sullivan - Stanford
                      Fleming - UCLA

Fleming is not a senior.

Comment

Sullivan - Stanford
                        Fleming - UCLA

Macario better than all of the above.

Comment

Yep, ESPNW's POY.

Comment

Marta Jr.

Comment

Marta Jr.
                              Learned her skills in Brazil. Figures. Maybe she will try out for their NT.

Comment

Learned her skills in Brazil. Figures. Maybe she will try out for their NT.
                                Worth the read.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...hot-ncaa-title

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X