Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOU should read this

There was a day here (maybe 20 years ago and before) where the youth soccer landscape*was much easier to understand. There were only*two main types of programs - Recreational and*Select.

Recreational: The numbers in the recreational programs were huge, and of course it was all volunteer run with mostly parent coaches. Without commenting too much on the quality of the teams, coaches and players, the program worked, and a ton of kids played soccer. Some of those Rec teams were pretty darned good, and you saw some very talented players because as Goal says the "higher-level" programs were not siphoning players off of Rec teams like they are now. Recreational teams would play in either an "in-house" association league, or a district league.

Select/Travel: The select program were also huge. The format was that Clubs/Associations administered all teams in their area, both Rec and Select. Each club/association had the option to hold tryouts and form select teams. The best kids in the area would go try out, they'd bring in good coaches (sometimes paid) and they would compete in high-level leagues.

District leagues:*These were run by area districts, each running their own leagues. Within the*district leagues would be multiple different divisions or sub-levels, sometimes up to 8 or 9 different levels. Each team would enter the level they thought to be most appropriate for that individual team. In our area there was no mandatory promotion/relegation system, each team/club was just expected to place their teams appropriately. Finish first place in the fourth division, move up to third; etc.

Not any more...

About 10-15 years ago, a movement was started by the stronger clubs that had most of the premier teams. Long story, but they weren't happy with the way the State was running the premier league, an impasse was reached, they said "fine, we're outta here" and basically withdrew from affiliation. They got together and started their own "premier" league.*And the floodgates opened.

The qualifying tournament was done away with. Instead of each team qualifying, a whole different system was started where it was based on the CLUB meeting certain criteria (paid DOC, etc.). Once they did, they were let in, and now the whole club and ALL of their teams were "premier", without having to qualify for anything.

From there, soccer lost containment. The concept of earning the right to call yourself premier was gone, and now not only are the "premier clubs" calling all of their teams premier, anyone else who wants to can just call themselves "premier" and there's nothing to stop them. Back in the day if a team did that without actually being in the premier league, they were exposed as liars and phonies. No one even cares now. Everybody and their little brother calls their program "Premier". Why? $$$$$. Teams that wouldn't have even been middle of the pack select teams before are calling themselves "Premier". It just sounds SO much higher and better. And the parents, who don't know the difference, line up by the tens of thousands to pay for their kid to be on a "premier" team.*Some of the premier clubs*will*create as many teams as they can at each age (C team, D team, etc. ), and call them all "premier". Some of those kids aren't even very good, and back in the day might not have even made a select team.*But the club takes everyone who shows just to form that fourth team, that kid*makes the D team and their parents post on social media "My daughter made a premier team! So proud of her!!!"

So not only do the individual teams not have to qualify anymore, there are some cases where the kids don't even have to, because at tryouts the club took everyone who showed up. Parents want the status of having their kid play on a so-called "Premier" team SO bad that*they will go along with this and pay whatever they ask. These programs have exploded in this area. The bottom line - where there used to be only 24 teams per age/gender that were actually Premier, now there are hundreds of them; where there were only 400-500 kids in the state per age/gender who are actually on a true premier team, now there are*tens of thousands of them, per age/gender.

The result of all of this?*The cost of soccer, on average, has skyrocketed. There are hundreds of "premier" teams per age, and hundreds of "select" teams per age. Parents are paying a lot of money even for select, and gladly do so for the bragging rights. The unfortunate result is the Recreational programs in our area have dwindled down accordingly. Any of the kids who are any good at all (and even some who aren't) get taken by their parents to select tryouts, "make" the team, and most of the Rec teams end up folding by U14.*

The money in youth soccer is flowing like a river; premier and select programs have exploded in numbers, and tons of coaches and administrators are getting paid handsomely, some even making a living from it all. And many of the recreational U11+ programs*are almost gone. Of course, since so many more kids are playing premier/select and getting professional coaching, this has all steadily improved the level of play across the board. Right?

Actually, all of this "improvement" in youth soccer has resulted in a Women's national team that is still very good but no longer dominant, and a Men's national team that couldn't even qualify for the world cup.

You can't fight progress...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There was a day here (maybe 20 years ago and before) where the youth soccer landscape*was much easier to understand. There were only*two main types of programs - Recreational and*Select.

Recreational: The numbers in the recreational programs were huge, and of course it was all volunteer run with mostly parent coaches. Without commenting too much on the quality of the teams, coaches and players, the program worked, and a ton of kids played soccer. Some of those Rec teams were pretty darned good, and you saw some very talented players because as Goal says the "higher-level" programs were not siphoning players off of Rec teams like they are now. Recreational teams would play in either an "in-house" association league, or a district league.

Select/Travel: The select program were also huge. The format was that Clubs/Associations administered all teams in their area, both Rec and Select. Each club/association had the option to hold tryouts and form select teams. The best kids in the area would go try out, they'd bring in good coaches (sometimes paid) and they would compete in high-level leagues.

District leagues:*These were run by area districts, each running their own leagues. Within the*district leagues would be multiple different divisions or sub-levels, sometimes up to 8 or 9 different levels. Each team would enter the level they thought to be most appropriate for that individual team. In our area there was no mandatory promotion/relegation system, each team/club was just expected to place their teams appropriately. Finish first place in the fourth division, move up to third; etc.

Not any more...

About 10-15 years ago, a movement was started by the stronger clubs that had most of the premier teams. Long story, but they weren't happy with the way the State was running the premier league, an impasse was reached, they said "fine, we're outta here" and basically withdrew from affiliation. They got together and started their own "premier" league.*And the floodgates opened.

The qualifying tournament was done away with. Instead of each team qualifying, a whole different system was started where it was based on the CLUB meeting certain criteria (paid DOC, etc.). Once they did, they were let in, and now the whole club and ALL of their teams were "premier", without having to qualify for anything.

From there, soccer lost containment. The concept of earning the right to call yourself premier was gone, and now not only are the "premier clubs" calling all of their teams premier, anyone else who wants to can just call themselves "premier" and there's nothing to stop them. Back in the day if a team did that without actually being in the premier league, they were exposed as liars and phonies. No one even cares now. Everybody and their little brother calls their program "Premier". Why? $$$$$. Teams that wouldn't have even been middle of the pack select teams before are calling themselves "Premier". It just sounds SO much higher and better. And the parents, who don't know the difference, line up by the tens of thousands to pay for their kid to be on a "premier" team.*Some of the premier clubs*will*create as many teams as they can at each age (C team, D team, etc. ), and call them all "premier". Some of those kids aren't even very good, and back in the day might not have even made a select team.*But the club takes everyone who shows just to form that fourth team, that kid*makes the D team and their parents post on social media "My daughter made a premier team! So proud of her!!!"

So not only do the individual teams not have to qualify anymore, there are some cases where the kids don't even have to, because at tryouts the club took everyone who showed up. Parents want the status of having their kid play on a so-called "Premier" team SO bad that*they will go along with this and pay whatever they ask. These programs have exploded in this area. The bottom line - where there used to be only 24 teams per age/gender that were actually Premier, now there are hundreds of them; where there were only 400-500 kids in the state per age/gender who are actually on a true premier team, now there are*tens of thousands of them, per age/gender.

The result of all of this?*The cost of soccer, on average, has skyrocketed. There are hundreds of "premier" teams per age, and hundreds of "select" teams per age. Parents are paying a lot of money even for select, and gladly do so for the bragging rights. The unfortunate result is the Recreational programs in our area have dwindled down accordingly. Any of the kids who are any good at all (and even some who aren't) get taken by their parents to select tryouts, "make" the team, and most of the Rec teams end up folding by U14.*

The money in youth soccer is flowing like a river; premier and select programs have exploded in numbers, and tons of coaches and administrators are getting paid handsomely, some even making a living from it all. And many of the recreational U11+ programs*are almost gone. Of course, since so many more kids are playing premier/select and getting professional coaching, this has all steadily improved the level of play across the board. Right?

Actually, all of this "improvement" in youth soccer has resulted in a Women's national team that is still very good but no longer dominant, and a Men's national team that couldn't even qualify for the world cup.

What’s your point ? It’s all a business and pyramid designed to take your money. It’s what Americans do better than anyone in the world they market

Comment

back then it was all rec since there was no DA!

Your summary was spot on just a money grab to enrich the clubs...

Has done ****e for soccer in America

Comment

back then it was all rec since there was no DA!

Your summary was spot on just a money grab to enrich the clubs...

Has done ****e for soccer in America
        We didn't fail to quality for WC because of players, we failed because of coaching. Poor player ID, poor player management and poor game coaching. As someone that has seen the sport grow we are light years beyond where we were years ago. We have a pro league and our better young players playing in Europe. The standard of youth soccer in the US is way better than it ever has been. I do think the DA and ECNL are problems. But those leagues came into play because of how poorly US Youth Soccer was doing at the time. US Soccer Youth Soccer were stealing and skimming money. They didn't care about progress in the sport, the directors only cared about money.

Things are better now and can continue to improve.

Comment

We didn't fail to quality for WC because of players, we failed because of coaching. Poor player ID, poor player management and poor game coaching. As someone that has seen the sport grow we are light years beyond where we were years ago. We have a pro league and our better young players playing in Europe. The standard of youth soccer in the US is way better than it ever has been. I do think the DA and ECNL are problems. But those leagues came into play because of how poorly US Youth Soccer was doing at the time. US Soccer Youth Soccer were stealing and skimming money. They didn't care about progress in the sport, the directors only cared about money.

Things are better now and can continue to improve.
          The DA is a mess, it’s just another structure of Bs. But there trying, however the selection process is decided by some F liscence coach who hides under the directors A liscense listed as head coach but he’s at home counting money

Comment

I have been involved in the sport as both a youth player in the 80’s and now as a parent. The sport and training have been elevated ten-fold since my time, with the unfortunate cost that come with it. I am not a fan of the increased costs but please don’t come in here and try to argue that the game and training have not improved in the US. There is no comparison to when I was growing up. If anything we just have not improved fast enough while the rest of the world is getting better at development at a faster rate. If the article was about cost then maybe a point could have been made, but all credibility is lost when the author argues that our system is not better than it was.

Comment

I have been involved in the sport as both a youth player in the 80’s and now as a parent. The sport and training have been elevated ten-fold since my time, with the unfortunate cost that come with it. I am not a fan of the increased costs but please don’t come in here and try to argue that the game and training have not improved in the US. There is no comparison to when I was growing up. If anything we just have not improved fast enough while the rest of the world is getting better at development at a faster rate. If the article was about cost then maybe a point could have been made, but all credibility is lost when the author argues that our system is not better than it was.
              In Florida it’s garbage!! If you head out west there doing it right! More consistently other than maybe Atlanta who are doing the right things w there youth. S Florida soccer is kickball and it’s disgusting because the kids are getting ripped off. The talent is here ten fold but there is no training so I disagree with you

Comment

The DA is a mess, it’s just another structure of Bs. But there trying, however the selection process is decided by some F liscence coach who hides under the directors A liscense listed as head coach but he’s at home counting money
                That's exactly how it is.

Comment

Sounds like it was non-existent when you were a youth player in the 80's , and since then it has improved, then digressed again. I would concur with your assessment.

THEN money and greed took over and in many areas has caused it to backslide (last 10 years).

Florida is a great example of a very large area where lousy coaches, poorly run clubs, greed, politics, crazy parents and an overall lackluster approach to development is the norm.

You're better off finding a mediocre team with a great coach, great bunch of kids and good environment that your kid will enjoy and supplement it with an awesome personal trainer/mentor/technical coach and avoid all the nonsense at all these supposed "elite" clubs.

MOST of the players WILL NOT get a scholarship and the ones that do have a HUGE drop off with returning in subsequent years.

It's a big game and your kids are now the pawns. Don't fall for it!!!!!

Comment

The history is interesting but pretty irrelevant now. Travel "sports" are ruining a lot of things. As you point out, parents can buy their kid into select programs and be sooo proud of them. Along with the money comes the sick politics. I guess one positive you could argue is that with all the money flying around, you do have some better paid coaching for what that is worth.

P.S. I grew up in Jacksonville and was kid in the 70s. I joined one of the first soccer clubs here when it was new. It cost nearly nothing. I remember getting a T shirt uniform with iron on patch and numbers. I was so proud.

Comment

It is not better...the difference I noticed is that many of the teams competing are "Elite" teams. For some reason I have been thinking about this,what gives you the right? or the Honor? is there a measuring block for this?or is this the old let me give my team that Title so that I can charge insane amounts of money to pay for my vacation in Atlantis.
                      What happened to old team names like "United", "Juniors","Blue","Red", etc....

What's more frustrating for me than this "Elite" self-title, is the Youth Academy thing going on here. Every club is offering a Youth Academy, and most suck. It's really just a way to form U9 teams by offering free "training".

Parents think it's something special because the name Academy.

Comment

It is not better...the difference I noticed is that many of the teams competing are "Elite" teams. For some reason I have been thinking about this,what gives you the right? or the Honor? is there a measuring block for this?or is this the old let me give my team that Title so that I can charge insane amounts of money to pay for my vacation in Atlantis.

What's more frustrating for me than this "Elite" self-title, is the Youth Academy thing going on here. Every club is offering a Youth Academy, and most suck. It's really just a way to form U9 teams by offering free "training".

The game is better. The level of instruction is better in the US. Training sessions are more organized, and for the most part teams playing at the travel soccer level, and higher-levels are trying to play a more possession based soccer. Teams try to play through the thirds and are trying to play out of the back. A greater emphasis has been put on technical development, although more dribbling and individual technique is important and often not taught. Boys DA soccer in terms of organization is very good. Players and teams are better, but at times robotic.
                        I recently move to Florida from the Northeast. I have 3 elementary age school children. Prior to moving to Florida, I would pick my one of my kids from school each day at 12:30 because we didn’t have full-day kindergarten. I would sit in the pick-up line and watch kids playing soccer at recess. 3 small sided fields used for 6v6 would be filled with kids (without coaches). The level of play at recess was impressive for what it was. Nearby there was a CVS next to another elementary school where I would pick up prescriptions and I witnessed the same thing. I didn’t always pick-up from CVS at the same time or day, but those fields were always being used and the soccer was decent. At my children’s new school here in Florida we are experiencing the same. My kids are playing soccer a recess and both my kids have told me how good their school mates play the game. My kids are young, but recognize what it’s like to play the game the right way. The game is fun on the school yard. This would not have been the case for me when I was playing the game in the 80’s and 90’s. I think the improvement of soccer at a grass roots level helps to lift the game.
                        I think the competitive aspects of the DA hurt soccer. For most of the clubs they aren’t playing for anything. Maybe kids have a goal of playing college or pro soccer, but they aren’t playing for a trophy, a championship, and to me it’s important to be playing not only for individual goals but for team goals. I also worry about the DA shrinking player pools for a number of reasons.

Comment

The game is better. The level of instruction is better in the US. Training sessions are more organized, and for the most part teams playing at the travel soccer level, and higher-levels are trying to play a more possession based soccer. Teams try to play through the thirds and are trying to play out of the back. A greater emphasis has been put on technical development, although more dribbling and individual technique is important and often not taught. Boys DA soccer in terms of organization is very good. Players and teams are better, but at times robotic.
                          I recently move to Florida from the Northeast. I have 3 elementary age school children. Prior to moving to Florida, I would pick my one of my kids from school each day at 12:30 because we didn’t have full-day kindergarten. I would sit in the pick-up line and watch kids playing soccer at recess. 3 small sided fields used for 6v6 would be filled with kids (without coaches). The level of play at recess was impressive for what it was. Nearby there was a CVS next to another elementary school where I would pick up prescriptions and I witnessed the same thing. I didn’t always pick-up from CVS at the same time or day, but those fields were always being used and the soccer was decent. At my children’s new school here in Florida we are experiencing the same. My kids are playing soccer a recess and both my kids have told me how good their school mates play the game. My kids are young, but recognize what it’s like to play the game the right way. The game is fun on the school yard. This would not have been the case for me when I was playing the game in the 80’s and 90’s. I think the improvement of soccer at a grass roots level helps to lift the game.
                          I think the competitive aspects of the DA hurt soccer. For most of the clubs they aren’t playing for anything. Maybe kids have a goal of playing college or pro soccer, but they aren’t playing for a trophy, a championship, and to me it’s important to be playing not only for individual goals but for team goals. I also worry about the DA shrinking player pools for a number of reasons.
                          The 2002 US World Cup team was/is better than any US World Cup team since...

Comment

Training is Better

Soccer has come a long way in the US since I was a kid. Still even at club level the quality of coaching is very much hit or miss. If you are lucky and you have a good coach who is invested in the team it is great. If you have a coach that is just baby sitting or worse has a kid on the team or something like that then I feel for you.

There is no question it is getting better. Just wish we didn't have to travel on weekends to get in games. If soccer were popular enough all teams could just play each other within the county and there would be more time for family and for training.

I see other sports like baseball, football, volleyball doing travel now as well. Now that is just stupid. Sports are about development and in those sports quite frankly you don't need to travel to develop. Maybe volleyball but certainly not baseball, football, or basketball.

Comment

I couldnt agree more, once you place the word Academy, parents automatically think NATIONAL TEAM will be calling soon.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X