Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Teams are not fractured now when the best players in DA and GDA are off in the fall playing prep school soccer on waivers? What am I missing here? They are the best players on their teams and their games are not affected by playing HS soccer and missing club for 2 months but the paying kids are somehow affected? Got it.
    Yes, they are. To a lesser degree, but it is a factor. If there wasn't a requirement by some schools for a kid to play, they'd outlaw that too if they could.

Not every "best player on a team" is a private school player. Not sure where they correlation comes from.

Comment

Yes, they are. To a lesser degree, but it is a factor. If there wasn't a requirement by some schools for a kid to play, they'd outlaw that too if they could.

Not every "best player on a team" is a private school player. Not sure where they correlation comes from.
      But the private school studs will be the only ones to get waivers. Players #8-22 need not apply

Comment

I see your point, but what happens is for those two months is your team is fractured. Those playing HS are doing their thing with their teams and playing their styles under their supervision. Those not are left with "training the club can provide" or some other filler activity. No continuity, no fitness measuring or monitoring. No set playing style.

The entire point of it is to control the players development 100%. Play the way we want, eat what we want, exercise how we want you to. We will measure your progress and we will make recommendations to you, and our own program, based on that feedback. They won't know if they have the right ingredients if they don't have a consistent menu.

It's not just a "we don't want the kids to play HS just because".

Is it overkill? Yeah, probably. But, you asked for a reason, and that's what my explanation would be.
        So in other words its all about control. They don't really care about 98% of the players, only the top 2%.

Not the op

Comment

So in other words its all about control. They don't really care about 98% of the players, only the top 2%.

Not the op
          Yes. Think of them like science experiments. Hoping their methods today pay off tomorrow

The deliver good college exposure and good training for your troubles. Still outweighs your HS time to me.

Comment

Yes. Think of them like science experiments. Hoping their methods today pay off tomorrow

The deliver good college exposure and good training for your troubles. Still outweighs your HS time to me.
            HS "time" maybe. HS experience? Not for many. You can't get that back.

Comment

HS "time" maybe. HS experience? Not for many. You can't get that back.
              Why do you think HS is so great? I see what my son gets in DA. It is far superior to HS soccer.
              I have seen it from both perspectives. Top HS team and DA.

Comment

Why do you think HS is so great? I see what my son gets in DA. It is far superior to HS soccer.
                I have seen it from both perspectives. Top HS team and DA.
                You're seeing the soccer differences. DA can't deliver on on playing with lifelong friends for your school, being supported by classmates and the community (no one goes to DA games), getting awards and your name in the paper. Some players don't care about that and that's fine. Some would like to experience it even if the soccer isn't that great.

Comment

You're seeing the soccer differences. DA can't deliver on on playing with lifelong friends for your school, being supported by classmates and the community (no one goes to DA games), getting awards and your name in the paper. Some players don't care about that and that's fine. Some would like to experience it even if the soccer isn't that great.
                  And some don’t

Comment

So, for example, while my kid has played soccer we have gone on trips and extended it out for family vacations; we've gone to Colorado, California, Florida, NYC, D.C., San Diego, Kansas, Indiana, and Ohio. We used the time to travel as a family, see the country and had a great time in the process. Lots of families take vacations every year. I'm not a beach guy, so I forego the summer house on the cape and instead spent a few extra days in the Rockies. You consider this a bad thing?

As for skiing, my boards and rest of the setup costs about $1500. I used to exclusively forego lifts, but with a family now I've scaled it back. Spent about $1000 on my kids gear. Lift tickets when we go run about $300 for us three, and when you add in meals and gas it's a $400 day. Times 4-5 times a winter, that's $2k. We have (depending on soccer schedule) gone for a few days over winter break. Add in another $2k for hotel and meals. So, that's anywhere from $3-6k per year on skiing. No Olympic dreams, no scholarship plans, just some time enjoying the fresh air and exercise with the family. And, here's the thing: Most people who ski spend a lot more than that. They go every weekend. Many have better equipment, and some do trips out West. We have a small family, so it would be even more. So, it's a much larger impact on the wallet than soccer ever will be.

So, you can say "it's not useful" but you must be a cold-hearted accountant. Our week in Colorado this summer was a trip that we will never forget. Family had a great time, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

What will come out of it in the end? Not much. Love of the game which hopefully will be passed to their kids; love of the outdoors and other pursuits which will hopefully passed to their kids. A weekend away from work and stress just with the family: priceless.
                    #WhitePrivilege

Comment

To answer your questions:

-Close to it, but I also don't spend that much on DA either unless you add it extending the trip and bringing the family (so it goes into a vacation budget)

-No, but we don't race nor do recitals. I expect those who do, do.

-No racing, so no gates to miss

-You have no idea what skill-level my kid is so I don't know why they were referred to as a "role player". But, even if they are...so what?

-You are the one who brings up payoff. I have my suspicions why. If you look at a dollar spent has to have a dollar rewarded on the back end, then there will be no enjoyment in life. You are the one who has made an assumption that the only reason to play high-level soccer is for an ROI. Therefore, it's a waste for most. If that were the only factor, you would be correct. But, it's not. Is it a consideration? Yes. Like many, we are planning for college. If there is help along the way, great. Is it the plan? No.

My kid likes to be tested. Overcome obstacles. I think it's a gift and will help them down the road. Sure, I suppose they could just let the flaps down and coast and just play in the playground. But, that's not how they work.

You say "If your kid is happy, have fun and stop worrying about what anyone else thinks" but the same goes for you. If your kid is having fun, then stop worrying about everyone else and just enjoy it yourself. Stop projecting.
                      #WhitePrivilege

Comment

Do you live in some redneck town in flyover country? My kid has friends in HS who love soccer, but are rec players at best. His lifelong friends will be from HS and his DA team. Hard for you to understand?

Comment

I have a son on the Revs. He has no interest in playing for the HS. It’s typically one of the best HS teams in the state but still poor soccer compared to DA. As far as thinking he is missing something I don’t quite get that comment. He travels all over the world to play and has lots of friends at school. Everyone at school knows what he does and are totally jealous he says.
                          I played on a state championship HS team and at a fairly high level in college and don’t see the comparison to what he does compared to HS soccer. Yes, it’s fun to win a big game in front of a couple thousand people but Playing at the top level is where he wants and enjoys the game. We expect zero payoff in the end. If it happens great if not I have prepared like the other poster said.
                          DA players can always play senior year if they so choose after they have committed to a college.
                          The Revs are a low level DA organization.

Comment

I see your point, but what happens is for those two months is your team is fractured. Those playing HS are doing their thing with their teams and playing their styles under their supervision. Those not are left with "training the club can provide" or some other filler activity. No continuity, no fitness measuring or monitoring. No set playing style.

The entire point of it is to control the players development 100%. Play the way we want, eat what we want, exercise how we want you to. We will measure your progress and we will make recommendations to you, and our own program, based on that feedback. They won't know if they have the right ingredients if they don't have a consistent menu.

It's not just a "we don't want the kids to play HS just because".

Is it overkill? Yeah, probably. But, you asked for a reason, and that's what my explanation would be.
                            My son has played DA soccer for 4 years. There has been no fitness benchmarking. This is fantasy land.

Comment

I have a son on the Revs. He has no interest in playing for the HS. It’s typically one of the best HS teams in the state but still poor soccer compared to DA. As far as thinking he is missing something I don’t quite get that comment. He travels all over the world to play and has lots of friends at school. Everyone at school knows what he does and are totally jealous he says.
                              I played on a state championship HS team and at a fairly high level in college and don’t see the comparison to what he does compared to HS soccer. Yes, it’s fun to win a big game in front of a couple thousand people but Playing at the top level is where he wants and enjoys the game. We expect zero payoff in the end. If it happens great if not I have prepared like the other poster said.
                              DA players can always play senior year if they so choose after they have committed to a college.
                              My wife and I are from a soccer country. Both our kids play DA and all 4 of us view US high school soccer as an alien and slightly comical concept. Ok if your kid wants to do it, but don’t pretend it is high level soccer..

Comment

My wife and I are from a soccer country. Both our kids play DA and all 4 of us view US high school soccer as an alien and slightly comical concept. Ok if your kid wants to do it, but don’t pretend it is high level soccer..
                                Many folks view Revs soccer that way as well, so good for you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X