Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Going to a tournament? Taking 22? Who will be the players not rostered for each game? Mystery? What if college colleges are there to watch players?
    Coaches are there to look at the players that have contacted them. Unless you are Mia Hamm, the coaches don't look at every kid.

Comment

Sounds like your dd traveled, sat on the bench, but didn't get any minutes.
      Welcome to club soccer. Newbie parent, I assume.
      Gets worse as you get older. If your dd isn't a starter, then this is how it is.

There are some clubs, especially GDA, that forces everyone to travel, but the
      roster isn't announced until a few hours before the game. So, you can't even
      sit with your team. Some coaches and club have this idea that brutality is the key
      to making great soccer players and killing off the weak. Great. Tell that to a 14 year
      old girl.

So couple things to watch for parents:
      1. Rosters larger than 18.
      2. Ask the club/team if that is their policy.
      3. Understand where your kid fits on the team. Starter, off the bench, or practice cone.

Good luck.
      It is a club or coach thing so please don't spin this poor experience into a GDA thing. I have seen this happen in FSPL, NL too. It is typical in tournaments when games and standing are still in question. Blowouts, not so much and everyone should get some minutes during blowout games in either direction or when the team knows they are out of trophy contention in a tournament, showcase or playoff.

I know our GDA teams do not require kids to travel if they know they are not playing that weekend for regular games. Home games, everyone needs come and support the team. All that being said, the OP has every right to be pissed for their kidd traveling, no playing and being forced to sit away from the team. That is wrong on many levels not to mention a confidence killer.

This is especially true if a plane travel is required. A coach will know the likelihood of player getting time in advance. No reason to force parents to pay airfare and hotel for their player to simply be spectator.

Comment

That is true for DA - they only care about a few kids and the rest are all paying practice cones.

Then you are also at the wrong club or team. Instead of making broad statements, be specific and name the club or team as that practice certainly does not happen our club. We have starters and we have subs. Every player must start a specific amount of games.

If you have been this forum long enough, you know this is happens in some form or fashion across many clubs and teams and is typical with coach who care more about winning than anything.

Comment

Then you are also at the wrong club or team. Instead of making broad statements, be specific and name the club or team as that practice certainly does not happen our club. We have starters and we have subs. Every player must start a specific amount of games.

If you have been this forum long enough, you know this is happens in some form or fashion across many clubs and teams and is typical with coach who care more about winning than anything.
          Like you said, not all DA clubs are equal, not even close. Some actually stink. Having the DA badge is no guarantee of coaching quality. Guaranteed starts are just that, starts. It's not guaranteed PT. Yes some crap clubs will pull weaker players quickly just to get wins. Plenty of rosters are 22+. That's just a money grab that parents need to watch out for. 20 should be the maximum as you'll probably have at least two kids out injured at various time.

All that said, overall, USSF doesn't care about most players. They care about a small subset. the rest are needed to make the league work geographically and financially.
          that's the reality families need to agree to if they want DA

Comment

Like you said, not all DA clubs are equal, not even close. Some actually stink. Having the DA badge is no guarantee of coaching quality. Guaranteed starts are just that, starts. It's not guaranteed PT. Yes some crap clubs will pull weaker players quickly just to get wins. Plenty of rosters are 22+. That's just a money grab that parents need to watch out for. 20 should be the maximum as you'll probably have at least two kids out injured at various time.

All that said, overall, USSF doesn't care about most players. They care about a small subset. the rest are needed to make the league work geographically and financially.
            that's the reality families need to agree to if they want DA
            I see all these comments about the perfect roster of 18 and that 20 or 22 is just a money grab. I agree that 18 is fine at younger ages and lower levels of competition. But when the kids hit 16 years old and older and if the kids are playing on a league with a higher level of competition (ECNL, DA, etc.) then you really need the 22 player roster. At that level of play injuries are much more common and the level of play is hard to sustain over 3 games in a weekend with only 18 players. And at the older ages, players are going to miss some games because of mandatory high school events, standardized testing dates, going to their last Homecoming, going on college recruiting campus visits, etc.

We've done it both ways and starting the season with only 18 players rostered is setting yourself up for trouble.

Comment

the fact that so many people elected a president who apparently is known for his mistruths and lies, and continue to support him, suggests a significant portion of the population do not perhaps have the maturity and capability to have a reasonable discussion as recommended. sadly, the response above is an example of what we find in society, someone incapable of a mature thought. i encourage discussion with DOCs, those in charge, i'm just saying it does not always go very well, because not all people involved in youth soccer actually care about the youths.
              Your argument fails when you cannot write above a 1st grade level.

Comment

Kind of like the president.

Comment

You don't have to be a statistician, or political pollster, or to interview thousands of Trump supporters to understand who they are. Just look at them. Take a look at the type of people who congregate along Southern Boulevard to cheer Trump on when he comes to Mar-a-Lago. These people are universally disgusting. The leave trash and signs all over the neighborhood and people's lawns. They park their busted up pickup trucks wherever they want. The constantly use profanity and racial slurs - loudly. Many of them are covered with cheap tatoos. The are universally white and they are almost universally fat people. I hate 'em, and I hate when Trump comes to town because they swarm my neighborhood like flies on ****. I've never seen a group which is so universally disgusting and boorish.
                  You are a racist. Stop voting for losers. Get a job. Make your wife happy. Earn some money. Make your kids happy.

Comment

Kind of like the president.
                    Even he knows you should capitalize the letter I. If you want to sound intelligent than learn how to write intelligently. Throwing insults doesn’t make you smart.

Comment

Even he knows you should capitalize the letter I. If you want to sound intelligent than learn how to write intelligently. Throwing insults doesn’t make you smart.
                      https://www.sciencealert.com/people-...cientists-find

Comment

Your response is another example of what's wrong with some people in this country. Why respond to the basis of the comment when you can just make some random belittling comment. Congratulations then, as your emotional and cognitive level seem just above a 5 year old. Much like our president, why respond to an actual thought or concern when you can just start calling someone names, avoiding any real dialogue.

Comment

If you would like to sound more intelligent yourself, maybe try using a dictionary so that you can build a vocabulary and use a synonym for intelligent. Trying to correct someone for failing to capitalize "I" also does not make you smart, as it more likely means the person was in a hurry typing a post.

"If you want to sound intelligent than learn how to write intelligently."

Comment

If you would like to sound more intelligent yourself, maybe try using a dictionary so that you can build a vocabulary and use a synonym for intelligent. Trying to correct someone for failing to capitalize "I" also does not make you smart, as it more likely means the person was in a hurry typing a post.

"If you want to sound intelligent than learn how to write intelligently."
                            What's this the Spelling Nazi page grow up fairys

Comment

in my experience,primarily the only things that will help improve your child's situation at a youth soccer club (talent not being one of them, as clubs don't always look at that) are if you are a team manager, if you flirt heavily with the coach, or if you pay several times weekly for private training with said coach. i've been part of some big clubs in florida, and those 3 things have really helped quite a few kids get more than their fair share of PT
                              It also helps to take them out drinking..get them to say a few things they shouldn't tell you and then hold it over their head.. I heard that helps too !!!

Comment

$$

It also helps to take them out drinking..get them to say a few things they shouldn't tell you and then hold it over their head.. I heard that helps too !!!
                                Theres always $$, most coaches here can be paid. It is the pay to play league you know!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X