Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle school soccer

My club player is determined to play MS soccer this fall. I have heard all about how bad it is. Yet I feel strongly that my children decide for themselves what they do and I know it will be good for social reasons. Do many club players play MS soccer or mostly skip it?

It's mixed. Some teams I've seen had mostly or all club players, so there was enough inherent talent in there.

My caution is, depending on the school, they demand to take precedence over other activities. So, you could be in a situation where you are missing club for school. Up to you to decide if that's what you want to do.

We did it once and it was actually stressful for her. We didn't do it the next year because of it. She liked playing with her schoolmates, but not enough to impact her training otherwise.

Comment

My kid will play MS soccer again this year. She shows up for the games only. She enjoys playing them even though 70% of the players are terrible. She gets to use 1v1 moves on kids that never played and then score on goalies that have never played. It's quite comical and meaningless. It doesn't conflict much with Club as there are only like 6 games. As long as you don't take it too seriously it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        My kid will play MS soccer again this year. She shows up for the games only. She enjoys playing them even though 70% of the players are terrible. She gets to use 1v1 moves on kids that never played and then score on goalies that have never played. It's quite comical and meaningless. It doesn't conflict much with Club as there are only like 6 games. As long as you don't take it too seriously it's fine.
        Ok I agree with most of this but for a coach to allow a player to only show for games is ridiculous. Our son played club and middle school but the school commitment, despite being a much lower level, was their primary. Every coach and parent is different with their rules but we felt it wasn’t fair to the MS team, players and coach to not be committed. Different strokes.

Comment

Mine all played - certainly the quality wasn't great but they all had a blast doing it. We tried to balance school and club -obviously not miss any school games and try to go to some but not all school practices - there was a good deal of juggling, but both coaches were understanding.

Comment

Ok I agree with most of this but for a coach to allow a player to only show for games is ridiculous. Our son played club and middle school but the school commitment, despite being a much lower level, was their primary. Every coach and parent is different with their rules but we felt it wasn’t fair to the MS team, players and coach to not be committed. Different strokes.
            I get what you are saying and can see your point of view, and even think that it would be a tiny bit helpful to the coach and to the team for my D to be at training's, but really the whole program is a joke and nobody cares. We let the coach choose between having her some of the time vs. not having her at all. We didn't place demands, we just asked if it was ok for her to participate part time due to club commitments.

Comment

To me, if you are juggling and missing practices, no matter the team, you are doing yourself and that team a disservice. Depends on what level team you are on, too.

If you are playing on a high-level team, there should be an expectation that the team is your highest priority. If I am on a team, and making sacrifices to be there as close to 100% as possible, I expect others to do the same.

At the MS age, tactics are starting to be taught so you can't do a tactical review if not everyone is there.

Just my two cents.

Comment

We didn't have too many conflicts since school events were mostly right after school and club was later afternoon. Often we had to pick up the kids at their games - home or away - and go straight to practice to expedite. Our kids kept the coaches informed if they were going to miss or be late which was good for them to start being more independent in coach communications.

Comment

To me, if you are juggling and missing practices, no matter the team, you are doing yourself and that team a disservice. Depends on what level team you are on, too.

If you are playing on a high-level team, there should be an expectation that the team is your highest priority. If I am on a team, and making sacrifices to be there as close to 100% as possible, I expect others to do the same.

At the MS age, tactics are starting to be taught so you can't do a tactical review if not everyone is there.

Just my two cents.
                  Maybe because my youngest is now in HS, I say YOLO. If the kid wants it and can manage physically and manage their time and homework, let them. In the blink of an eye they've left for college. Playing for your school - middle or HS - can be great fun and you can't get it back.

Comment

Mine does both and we travel to MA for club. She lives middle school to play with friends and stretch her legs and be a home town hero. We try to make everything and only miss 2-3 middle school practices a season and maybe 2 club practices because of a far away game. All coaches have been accommodating (even high up club coach). It’s disrespectful to me for someone to show up to games only. That’s a bad example and poor sportsmanship. Who cares if your the best player on the team if your not leading by example and showing the rest of the team they matter and deserve your presence at practice like everyone else. School soccer is social but it’s more touches and really develops character. My daughter has leaned how to win and how to lose gracefully and she helps lead and coach those that are just there for fun and most importantly that there’s no me, only we.

Comment

Just my two cents.
                      There are no “high level” middle school or high school teams. But I agree that missing all the practice is not a good idea.

Comment

There are no “high level” middle school or high school teams. But I agree that missing all the practice is not a good idea.
                        Was referring to the Club team.

We were put in a position where we had to put MS over her Club. We made it work somehow, and she only missed one Club practice. I had to break the land-speed record a few other times to make sure she was there. We won't be doing that again.

All for what? Social activity? To show off? Not worth it.

Comment

Was referring to the Club team.

We were put in a position where we had to put MS over her Club. We made it work somehow, and she only missed one Club practice. I had to break the land-speed record a few other times to make sure she was there. We won't be doing that again.

All for what? Social activity? To show off? Not worth it.
                          Good opportunity to become a leader and be an example on how to work hard. Supporting your team and community. Yes the social aspect is important in development of middle schoolers.

You sound like an entitle jack****. You kid is not going D1 and playing on the national team. The sooner you realize this the better off she will be.

Comment

Good opportunity to become a leader and be an example on how to work hard. Supporting your team and community. Yes the social aspect is important in development of middle schoolers.

You sound like an entitle jack****. You kid is not going D1 and playing on the national team. The sooner you realize this the better off she will be.
                            Actually, it's an opportunity to show that if you are good, you can try to bend the rules if they don't work for you.

Entitled? Because I feel if you make a commitment, you should follow through with it?

OK, call me entitled.

You actually just proved your theory is the entitled one.....

Comment

Good to see "coach" back to posting again. Likes to tell everyone how ****ty their kids are because he sees and knows all.

Isn't there a MA thread you can turn your attention to?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X