Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Parents do know the deal- they know the deal from other parents ,clubs ,seminars, Guidance counselors, life etc...
    do you think the other stuff isnt happening at the same time?

if you said some over appreciate their kids athletic ability ,i would agree- but they know exactly what the deal is and choose it willingly
    Many go through it with blinders on and ear plugs. Then their kids end up at Endicott because they " decided d1 wasn't for them." You can lead a horse to water...

And no, clubs are not forthcoming on the realities of college soccer or scholarships $. It goes against their better interests.

Comment

Many go through it with blinders on and ear plugs. Then their kids end up at Endicott because they " decided d1 wasn't for them." You can lead a horse to water...

And no, clubs are not forthcoming on the realities of college soccer or scholarships $. It goes against their better interests.
      then change clubs if they arent honest with you
      my kids have been with 3 different clubs and all have given us honest input as far as college goes
      if endicott is where the kid fits then whats wrong with that?

Comment

Listen bro.....In my case, my kid was shooting for Ivy. I didn't realize Rudy was on the take or I might have made him an offer. When Ivy league didn't work out, we looked at the next best group academically. MIT Uchicago, carnegie mellon and a good number of NESCAC schools. She wanted to stay in the north east within a 4-5 hour drive of CT. She could have taken 10K to go play at some crap D1 program that had no shot at making the NCAA tournament and been miserable, but she was smart enough to realize that was a suckers short term game. Im proud of where she ended up. Yes, she pursued the Ivys, just didnt get the ticket. Never really thought about U of New Hampshire, URI and overpriced local schools like Fairfield.

Comment

Listen bro.....In my case, my kid was shooting for Ivy. I didn't realize Rudy was on the take or I might have made him an offer. When Ivy league didn't work out, we looked at the next best group academically. MIT Uchicago, carnegie mellon and a good number of NESCAC schools. She wanted to stay in the north east within a 4-5 hour drive of CT. She could have taken 10K to go play at some crap D1 program that had no shot at making the NCAA tournament and been miserable, but she was smart enough to realize that was a suckers short term game. Im proud of where she ended up. Yes, she pursued the Ivys, just didnt get the ticket. Never really thought about U of New Hampshire, URI and overpriced local schools like Fairfield.
          We were the exact same .... and ended up at a school that is great academics, decent soccer and my daughter loves it. She has quickly realized that there is so much more to life than just soccer and I think she made the right choice for the right reasons. Oh yeah, and she got a boatload of money as well that made her education much cheaper than the state schools. Not a penny of it was athletic.

Comment

We were the exact same .... and ended up at a school that is great academics, decent soccer and my daughter loves it. She has quickly realized that there is so much more to life than just soccer and I think she made the right choice for the right reasons. Oh yeah, and she got a boatload of money as well that made her education much cheaper than the state schools. Not a penny of it was athletic.
            She tried to jump on the BLM wagon and make wealthy white parenting look absurd. Problem is, wealthy white parenting works better then the alternative. Let your kids wild out and pursue the big three sports and the dream of being pro to cash in at the expense of academics. Wealthy white parents encourage sports to help get into the better academic schools. Prioritize education. That is why there is a wealth gap my friend, regardless of how many free educations are given to a kid who can dunk to duke or to Alabama to the kid who can run the fastest and evade tacklers. The one and done dreams. You would have a better chance of your kid being struck by lightning then making it to be a pro, getting a multimillion dollar contract and then investing and saving it so it actually supports him and lasts his lifetime. Regardless of how much the country spends on welfare. Wasted money! Doesn’t close the wealth gap.

Comment

Where is all this merit money at top academic schools?

Comment

Where is all this merit money at top academic schools?
                There isn't any, it just means the poster is poor. It's called financial aid.

Schools in the NESCAC or Chicago etc that were mentioned above don't have a dime of academic merit money. They do have generous FA for families with household incomes under 150K or so.

Need to drop down a level to get academic money. Plenty of solid schools have a decent merit money scheme if your kid hits their metrics.

Comment

There isn't any, it just means the poster is poor. It's called financial aid.

Schools in the NESCAC or Chicago etc that were mentioned above don't have a dime of academic merit money. They do have generous FA for families with household incomes under 150K or so.

Need to drop down a level to get academic money. Plenty of solid schools have a decent merit money scheme if your kid hits their metrics.
                  Like with athletic $ it's all about where you are relative to the bulk of the applicant pool. Be well above their admitted norms then the school wants you more and will offer more. Be within the bulk of the acceptance pools you get some token thousands for meaningless "scholarships." Be at the bottom, barely getting in, you're going to be pretty close to full boat unless you qualify for federal financial aid or the school has financial aid (plenty do not, especially now, just the schools with massive endowments)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X