Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Tournament -

Since the NJ Soccer Facebook Group admins cut and censored the comments, let's open the discussion here.

The tournament did not award the "win" to a u11 team because as per tournament rules (confirm) a is a team wins by more than 6 (cornfirm?) goals that team will be disqualified and the trophy awarded to the other team.

The discussion was:
    Team parent complaining that they still deserve the finals trophy.
    Counter: The coach/team parent should know the rules of the tournament.
    Counter: The other team said they did not deserve the finals trophy/would not accept it (confirm)

The ref should have issued a warning to the team when they were up 5-0 in the final.
    Is that the ref's job?
    The coach/team manager should know the rules and manage accordingly.
    Should a club like AS Junior Elite play in a town travel tournament and blow teams out?
    Should a mercy rule exist at all? the EDP tournament has no mercy rule
    (BTW kudos to the EDP team that flighted the 2011 groups, there was no need for such a rule)

Should we be concerned with hurt feelings at a soccer tournament? This grows into the European model discussion that doesn't really care about feelings- if the team does not act dissrepectfully and plays through the game and finishes chances, then the final score is the final score.

Sure some ppl's opinions are based in commons sense and facts and other ppl just want to stir the pot-but cutting out comments always prevents discussions and ideas from being exchanged.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Since the NJ Soccer Facebook Group admins cut and censored the comments, let's open the discussion here.

The tournament did not award the "win" to a u11 team because as per tournament rules (confirm) a is a team wins by more than 6 (cornfirm?) goals that team will be disqualified and the trophy awarded to the other team.

The discussion was:
    Team parent complaining that they still deserve the finals trophy.
    Counter: The coach/team parent should know the rules of the tournament.
    Counter: The other team said they did not deserve the finals trophy/would not accept it (confirm)

The ref should have issued a warning to the team when they were up 5-0 in the final.
    Is that the ref's job?
    The coach/team manager should know the rules and manage accordingly.
    Should a club like AS Junior Elite play in a town travel tournament and blow teams out?
    Should a mercy rule exist at all? the EDP tournament has no mercy rule
    (BTW kudos to the EDP team that flighted the 2011 groups, there was no need for such a rule)

Should we be concerned with hurt feelings at a soccer tournament? This grows into the European model discussion that doesn't really care about feelings- if the team does not act dissrepectfully and plays through the game and finishes chances, then the final score is the final score.

Sure some ppl's opinions are based in commons sense and facts and other ppl just want to stir the pot-but cutting out comments always prevents discussions and ideas from being exchanged.
    Some of these statements are resonable and I can agree with some. PLEASE include pertinent information here. Which clubs, teams, age groups, tournaments are you talking about? - boys / girls?

more details

Comment

Deptford Fall Festival
      U11 Boys
      Listed Final: AS Junior Elite: 0 vs Fishtown AC Blue: 1
      Fishtown listed as winners ad AS Junior Elite violted the tournament mercey rule.

Comment

My feeling is that while a team doesn’t need to keep the pedal down, they also shouldn’t completely stop playing either. Both are somewhat hard to take. I’d rather a team keep playing. The official score can cap the goals shown.

Comment

In terms of this particular tournament and situation, the coach is at fault full stop. As the coach, you need to know all of the tournament rules. If one of them is a mercy rule and you don't follow it, sack up and accept the consequences. It's not up to the parents and/or the ref to understand these things and let you know.

From a generalized perspective, I think the parents and coach should grow up and enter into better tournaments with better competition. There were a million different tournaments that were happening this weekend and more next weekend. You could have found one that was better suited to the team and didn't have the rule that you're complaining about. Eat the loss and do better next time.

Comment

I don't know about this particular situation, but sometimes 10 year old kids may not follow the don't score rule.

Comment

I don't know about this particular situation, but sometimes 10 year old kids may not follow the don't score rule.
              and maybe a coach should know how to limit scoring so as not to look like an idiot and lose the tournament on a technicality.

Comment

and maybe a coach should know how to limit scoring so as not to look like an idiot and lose the tournament on a technicality.
                I don't know. I think its all BS. Why would the coach even think about a dumb azz rule like that.

Comment

That's literally your job as the coach. Develop the kids, know the rules of the game, know the rules of the competitions you enter, don't crap your pants on social media after losing a tournament because you didn't read, etc.

Comment

Slaughter rule is fine for young teams and rec level. But at a tournament? No. It's competitive soccer. What it means is two teams were very badly matched. Blame the organizers for that. Rule or not there's no need to run up the score. Sit your top players and give time to the ones wth less PT.

Comment

Slaughter rule is fine for young teams and rec level. But at a tournament? No. It's competitive soccer. What it means is two teams were very badly matched. Blame the organizers for that. Rule or not there's no need to run up the score. Sit your top players and give time to the ones wth less PT.
                      I agree it's lame, but you agree to the rules when you sign up for the tournament. Also agree there is no reason to run up a score unless you need it for tie-breakers or points.

Comment

I agree it's lame, but you agree to the rules when you sign up for the tournament. Also agree there is no reason to run up a score unless you need it for tie-breakers or points.
                        Maybe the coach is on TS and thinks results matter?

Comment

We've gone so far in the wrong direction. We're now awarding teams a trophy because the other team beat them by too much. Ridiculous.
                          Do any coaches go into small sided games expecting to roll people 8-0? I've never looked up the mercy rule prior to a tournament game, but I've (sadly) had to check it on my phone when I realized the other team was a huge mismatch and I didn't want to lose points because of stupid rules.
                          One could argue it's more embarrassing when a team is passing all around you and trying to do things like touch the corner flags instead of score on a goal your team is still trying to defend.

Comment

SORRY - But these tournaments clearly state the rule. The coach knew it and should have followed it. Next time, instead of going to a small time local to flatten local daddy teams try going to an EDP tournament and flighting yourself appropriately.

Comment

Lame Tournament

Sounds like they should just not have the tournament. If the winner isn't the winner what is the point? Does anyone know if the actual winning team pulled players/made subs etc. or just going with emotion that kids shouldn't lose too badly.

I coached years ago when son was first starting out in MOSA and they had a mercy rule. But after you pull 2 kids and play down and you have a kid on the team that has never scored a goal, you gladly pull out the wallet and pay the $50 fine when he finally scores. The smile on his face told me it was well worth it. Don't know if they still have the rule but it was $50 pop for each goal over a +6 differential. It was either score an own goal/let the other team score which was lame or pay the fine.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X