Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More SUSA tryouts????

I just got an email from SUSA that they are holding NPL/METRO tryouts.... How is this any different from the ones they had in the spring?? are they just trying to pad up the B, C, and D teams with more players?

Well, on the girls side they have ECNL, NPL, NPL Northeast and Metro teams to fill. And they aren't 4 teams team in every age group so they have a real problem.

Comment

Expect more coaches to be bribed to bring their teams over from other clubs to fill those slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I just got an email from SUSA that they are holding NPL/METRO tryouts.... How is this any different from the ones they had in the spring?? are they just trying to pad up the B, C, and D teams with more players?
        <<SUSA is excited to announce being awarded a second Girls NPL spot for the 2018-2019 year, the only club in the area with two NPL league spots. Teams will now participate in the ECNL, Northeast NPL, NYCSL NPL and Metro League this Fall.

“We are excited about the opportunity to provide more players on Long Island the opportunity to play at the NPL level” - Moussa Sy, President of SUSA

Additional tryout dates will be announced for the 2000-2007 age groups soon

For more info contact Chris Colley at chris@susaacademy.com >>

Comment

Well, on the girls side they have ECNL, NPL, NPL Northeast and Metro teams to fill. And they aren't 4 teams team in every age group so they have a real problem.
          Some age groups actually do already have 4 teams, most others have 3 with relatively large rosters. I'd bet they have enough already to fill out 4 teams each, would just be a matter of reshuffling a bit...

Comment

Some age groups actually do already have 4 teams, most others have 3 with relatively large rosters. I'd bet they have enough already to fill out 4 teams each, would just be a matter of reshuffling a bit...
            Some of you outside players that came for ECNL may be playing NPL, don't be surprised....

Comment

yes- 1 pretty strong team....... then 3 less than ok teams/intramural teams

The Susa way #SUSALIFE hahaha

Comment

Some of you outside players that came for ECNL may be playing NPL, don't be surprised....
                Coach already told us that if a player doesn't see a lot of PT in ECNL game, there's a strong chance they'll be playing in NPL that weekend. He admitted that there were several players that he looked at as "bubble players" who were on the borderline but that he wanted to give a fair shot at ECNL, but to not be surprised if they played more on NPL than they did ECNL.

I wondered how that would work with the NPL team playing in NYCSL against all different clubs with different schedules and locations and such, but now that they have NE NPL as well, it makes more sense.

Comment

This just seems like a total disaster and pure money grab. No real focus. If your not ECNL, then you're just a number

Comment

This just seems like a total disaster and pure money grab. No real focus. If your not ECNL, then you're just a number
                    Well, a number that SUSA hand's a big invoice to.

Comment

It just seems like you want to bash Susa, which is sad because I'm actually talking about my kid. My kid who decided she wants to explore playing in college and felt the opportunity to play ECNL would give her a stronger platform. We live a solid hour from East Meadow and my kid is a 3 sport athlete in school, so having her finish school sports at 5pm on practice days and race out to East Meadow to train for 2 hours and then back another hour just wasn't as feasible an option as Susa. Plus, she's coming off an NPL team so I'm not even sure she would've gotten any playing time at East Meadow either. At least with Susa, if she doesn't get a decent amount of playing time on ECNL, she can play on another team, that wasn't an option at all with East Meadow because their ECNL and NPL teams are completely seperate entities.
                      You guys can bash the club as much as you want, it was the best option for my kid. It may not be perfect, but it's perfect for us!

Comment

This is not unique

Other ECNL teams do the same thing. The bench players on the ECNL teams will play with the NPL team to get reps. This ensures that the backups are still able to get on the field. You may not like setup but it is better than being the # 16-20+ player on GDA/ECNL without that option. That's a true money grab. Some kids are not even making the game day roster. How can you develop if you are just practicing and not playing?

Comment

It just seems like you want to bash Susa, which is sad because I'm actually talking about my kid. My kid who decided she wants to explore playing in college and felt the opportunity to play ECNL would give her a stronger platform. We live a solid hour from East Meadow and my kid is a 3 sport athlete in school, so having her finish school sports at 5pm on practice days and race out to East Meadow to train for 2 hours and then back another hour just wasn't as feasible an option as Susa. Plus, she's coming off an NPL team so I'm not even sure she would've gotten any playing time at East Meadow either. At least with Susa, if she doesn't get a decent amount of playing time on ECNL, she can play on another team, that wasn't an option at all with East Meadow because their ECNL and NPL teams are completely seperate entities.
                          You guys can bash the club as much as you want, it was the best option for my kid. It may not be perfect, but it's perfect for us!
                          Not really bashing SUSA, its just fact. But I also hear what you're saying and if they follow through with what they told you, then that's all you can ask for. I agree, getting to get some reps on the NPL team definitely beats just sitting on the end of the bench with no playing time just so you can tell your friends you play ECNL. This highlights why there is no right or wrong answer. What is good for one person, may not be good for another. That's why everyone should just worry about their own kids instead of coming on these websites to trash others. Sharing info is good, but the gossip is for amateurs.

Comment

I bash SUSA all the time, but for good reason.

If you are on one of their A teams you generally get excellent training, access to high end leagues, access to high end tournaments and all that for what I consider to be a fairly reasonable price.

However, if you are on one of their lower teams you are paying the same money to be on low division mediocre teams at best that are essentially town teams, receive poor and inconsistent training and are lucky if your assigned coach bothers to show up to your practices and even your games. Plus you get rescheduled constantly and have about zero chance of being moved up to one of the top teams despite claims to the contrary. Oh, and you are playing on the same crappy fields you played on before.

But my biggest problem is how they got most of their teams in the first place. Plan A is that they approach club presidents privately and Eddie Hackett offers huge sums of money, personally to the club president, to bring over all their teams. In our clubs case the sum offered was $50,000, and we are a small club. I suspect that the presidents of Dix Hills and Commack got two to three times that figure. If they fail to persuade the club President they then go directly to the coaches and trainers and Eddie offers them straight up cash bribes to bring the teams over. From what my coaches are telling me they were offered between $3,000 and $5,000 per team to make the move.

I want to make it very clear that this money was not going to the club or anywhere else where it would benefit the players and their families. This offer was for money paid secretly to specific individuals as straight up bribes to bring the teams over. Then after a year when the parents realize that they are paying a lot of money for no reason they leave. Then the coaches that were bribed to bring those kids over don't have their "contract" renewed. And what would have otherwise been a nice town team is broken up after on one year, but hey, at least SUSA got to pump as much money out of the parents as they could for that year so it's all good, right?

Comment

I bash SUSA all the time, but for good reason.

If you are on one of their A teams you generally get excellent training, access to high end leagues, access to high end tournaments and all that for what I consider to be a fairly reasonable price.

However, if you are on one of their lower teams you are paying the same money to be on low division mediocre teams at best that are essentially town teams, receive poor and inconsistent training and are lucky if your assigned coach bothers to show up to your practices and even your games. Plus you get rescheduled constantly and have about zero chance of being moved up to one of the top teams despite claims to the contrary. Oh, and you are playing on the same crappy fields you played on before.

But my biggest problem is how they got most of their teams in the first place. Plan A is that they approach club presidents privately and Eddie Hackett offers huge sums of money, personally to the club president, to bring over all their teams. In our clubs case the sum offered was $50,000, and we are a small club. I suspect that the presidents of Dix Hills and Commack got two to three times that figure. If they fail to persuade the club President they then go directly to the coaches and trainers and Eddie offers them straight up cash bribes to bring the teams over. From what my coaches are telling me they were offered between $3,000 and $5,000 per team to make the move.

I want to make it very clear that this money was not going to the club or anywhere else where it would benefit the players and their families. This offer was for money paid secretly to specific individuals as straight up bribes to bring the teams over. Then after a year when the parents realize that they are paying a lot of money for no reason they leave. Then the coaches that were bribed to bring those kids over don't have their "contract" renewed. And what would have otherwise been a nice town team is broken up after on one year, but hey, at least SUSA got to pump as much money out of the parents as they could for that year so it's all good, right?
                              One word, WOW!!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X