Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prep school vs Public School soccer

Do prep school teams (playing ISL) tend to be better than top public school teams despite the size difference between most of those schools? Wondering from parents who have kids in high school. Lots of things to think about for school choice next year.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do prep school teams (playing ISL) tend to be better than top public school teams despite the size difference between most of those schools? Wondering from parents who have kids in high school. Lots of things to think about for school choice next year.
    By and large yes but there are exceptions. However it's much more important to make your choices based on the quality of education and what you can afford. Where your kid plays club also matters.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is just one of many factors we are considering. The topic came up since the fall season is "off" from the club perspective - she wants to make sure she has a great school soccer program to look forward to. We are lucky in MA, living near so many great schools, both public and private.

Comment

On average the prep schools are better, but there is a wide range of quality even there. Best preps would demolish the best MIAA schools, but an average MIAA D1 school would beat the lower end preps.

Similarly there is a wide range of academic excellence at the prep schools.

Comment

Private school soccer right now in New England is probably the best I’ve ever seen. The boys are sending guys to the pros and the girls have great players everywhere. If you can tie in a great prep experience with a great club you’re ensuring quality soccer and education year round.

Comment

On average the prep schools are better, but there is a wide range of quality even there. Best preps would demolish the best MIAA schools, but an average MIAA D1 school would beat the lower end preps.

Similarly there is a wide range of academic excellence at the prep schools.
            I agree with this take. I've had kids in both top public and top private, and the soccer played at high end prep schools rivals high end club soccer. I had a kid play high level D1 HS (i.e., league winner or runner up and sectional quarterfinals or better most years), and her best team would have had real trouble beating Tabor/Thayer/Rivers/Nobles/BBN.

The big difference, I found, was that players 8-15 on the private school teams were different. They seemed to either be very young players with great skill and potential or elite athletes playing soccer as their 2nd sport. The public schools didn't have the same depth after their top 4-6 players.

Comment

I agree with this take. I've had kids in both top public and top private, and the soccer played at high end prep schools rivals high end club soccer. I had a kid play high level D1 HS (i.e., league winner or runner up and sectional quarterfinals or better most years), and her best team would have had real trouble beating Tabor/Thayer/Rivers/Nobles/BBN.

The big difference, I found, was that players 8-15 on the private school teams were different. They seemed to either be very young players with great skill and potential or elite athletes playing soccer as their 2nd sport. The public schools didn't have the same depth after their top 4-6 players.
              I similarly have had kids in both public and private and agree 100% with this assessment.

Comment

Prep hockey for both girls and boys is the same as soccer, lacrosse. Top athletic prep schools are on a different planet. Boys prep hockey recruit the very best regional players and the best Canadian and International kids as well.

Comment

Do you think this might have something to do with seniority? Do public schools tend to give priority to older students who have been in the program a few years over stronger, younger players, where as private schools choose player quality over grade level?

Comment

Do you think this might have something to do with seniority? Do public schools tend to give priority to older students who have been in the program a few years over stronger, younger players, where as private schools choose player quality over grade level?
                    It really varies by the coach and what their philosophy is. A coach that wants to win picks based on talent. However for boys size can be a big factor because boys go through puberty later than girls. It can be tough for even a skilled freshman to keep the ball from 185 lb senior man boys. I would also say coaches are often under more pressure from pushy parents in public school (go to the AD to complain about PT) vs private, but they have their share of nonsense too.

Comment

Bingo!!

Comment

Aside from Berkshire and Worcester Academy who recruit for the sport, I don't see a big difference between the rest of the best in private or public.
                        One big difference between the two, at least regarding boys, is that the age of the private school player is older, on average, as many kids repeat a year.

Comment

Private may or may not be better. I guess it depends on how much money you have ( or don’t have) to spare for possibly better academics and/or sports.

Comment

Private may or may not be better. I guess it depends on how much money you have ( or don’t have) to spare for possibly better academics and/or sports.
                            Here's the reality of prep schools. Only send the child, and especially for a sport, if:
                            1) the grandparents are paying full tuition - a surprising number...you can't take it with you it turns out;
                            2) you live in a very poor school system and have no alternative;
                            3) your child is a prodigy that (somehow) won't get recognized in a public or your child is purely mid-pack and you are concerned about outcomes;
                            4) you receive at least 80% in financial aid;
                            5) you earn or inherited (a lot) of money so that it literally doesn't matter;
                            6) you are employed by that prep school - like 1) also a very high number. You are subsidizing these children's education. It's not right, wrong, good, or bad, simply a financial reality.

Comment

Even if you're in a poor or mediocre district it could be better to move. Even more so if you have multiple kids. Downsize to the best house you can afford in a top 10 district. Home values should rise at least some over time, and you can deduct some of your mortgage interest and state and local taxes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X