Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The State of NH HS Soccer

Now that the season is over I was wondering about opinions of HS soccer in general. After Watching most of the D1 and D2 semi's and having a general idea of the returning squads for some teams, I think the outlook is pretty good. I have no clue for the smaller divisions. I'm sure there are some good players mixed into those divisions but the last time I saw a D3 or D4 game it was painfully slow.

D1 Boys - I don't see any down trends in the upper teams. Central, Bedford etc. It is pretty good soccer. Am I off to say it should be good next year?

D1 Girls - Although Central graduates a lot I think Londonderry, Exeter and Bedford come back strong. But I do think the runs of teams like South and Concord being decent come to end. Any other surprises?

D2 Boys - For me its pretty consistent here. While not at the level of D1 it's pretty good soccer with a lot of parity.

D2 Girls - I think after watching the final this year it had to be a down year for D2. The game was very, very slow and sloppy. Not sure the division bounces back next year but the loss of some decent teams to D1 had to hurt.

Speaking to the girls side, no comparison this year from top D1 teams to top D2. More size, speed and technical ability at the top of D2 last year. I agree it was a drop in overall quality in D2 but there was more overall parity. IMO last year's Bow, Hanover, and Portsmouth (and maybe even Souhegan) teams would have beaten this year's finals teams (Hanover and Milford). The lack of quality striker play and midfield play was more pronounced this year compared to last year in D2. I did feel that there was more quality defensive play (and individual defenders) this year and I was particularly impressed with several of the playoff team goalies. That was a strength this year.

I had mentioned in a post before the playoffs that I wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 6 teams would pull out championship and it ended up being 5 versus 6. But watching the end of the D2 final and then watching the D1 game I was struck by the difference in speed of play.

Comment

I agree with D1 boys assessment. I think it should be a good brand of soccer for a while. No clue on rest.

Comment

I am admitted Club snob and haven't been in tuned to the HS game for a while since graduating long ago. First, let me say that the players today are 2x what we were. I noticed that from my first U8 game.

Second, I've watched a few HS games this year and came away hugely impressed. There may be some gaps in the best players' technique if you were to compare your best HS against the best Club players, but not as much as I anticipated.

The games themselves were a mix of long ball and short passing, but in an entertaining way. Meaning, it was fast paced and direct, but not "kick it kick it kick it...get it get it get it" kinda' way. There was purpose in the passing, albeit somewhat stagnant in the movements and reactionary.

I was very encouraged what I saw and of course, you can't match the energy of a HS game vs. a club game, no matter the level.

Definitely trending up IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Speaking to the girls side, no comparison this year from top D1 teams to top D2. More size, speed and technical ability at the top of D2 last year. I agree it was a drop in overall quality in D2 but there was more overall parity. IMO last year's Bow, Hanover, and Portsmouth (and maybe even Souhegan) teams would have beaten this year's finals teams (Hanover and Milford). The lack of quality striker play and midfield play was more pronounced this year compared to last year in D2. I did feel that there was more quality defensive play (and individual defenders) this year and I was particularly impressed with several of the playoff team goalies. That was a strength this year.

I had mentioned in a post before the playoffs that I wouldn't be surprised if any of the top 6 teams would pull out championship and it ended up being 5 versus 6. But watching the end of the D2 final and then watching the D1 game I was struck by the difference in speed of play.
          Could Conval boys give Bedford Boys a game or is the disparity just as big?

Comment

Could Conval boys give Bedford Boys a game or is the disparity just as big?
            Your kidding, right? I’ve seen both teams play and it would be a 7-0 game. Not to be a dick, but Conval would match well with a Merrimack

Comment

I agree with D1 boys assessment. I think it should be a good brand of soccer for a while. No clue on rest.
              I think central, concord and Bedford are graduating near double digits, so it’s hard to say.

Comment

Your kidding, right? I’ve seen both teams play and it would be a 7-0 game. Not to be a dick, but Conval would match well with a Merrimack
                Bedford boys would hang 7 or more on ConVal… its not even a contest.

Comment

Agreed, night and day from top of DI and DII. The parity in DII within the top 8 is much better than in DI imo. Conval was a slight step better, but any of the top 6 in DII could have won this year, just look at the scores, all 1 goal games. I think the top of DII would fall in the mid to bottom of DI. Just not enough depth and talent across all positions within the DII teams.

Comment

Agreed, night and day from top of DI and DII. The parity in DII within the top 8 is much better than in DI imo. Conval was a slight step better, but any of the top 6 in DII could have won this year, just look at the scores, all 1 goal games. I think the top of DII would fall in the mid to bottom of DI. Just not enough depth and talent across all positions within the DII teams.
                    Depth is the key. You can get a player or two who can always be in a discussion for the "best" player in the state. That's been the case as long as I remember.

It's players 3-18 is where the separation occurs.

Comment

I found this thread interesting as I've been following HS soccer for some time. I agree with this post that there is no match between top D1 team versus top D2 team in boys. And after watching the 2 girls final, if Central played either of the D2 teams the goal difference would easily of been double digits. So there is no comparison between D1 top teams and any D2 squads.

But there is also a disparity between top D1 teams and rest of D1. Just look at the history of past champions.

What I think there should be is a 1A and a 1AA division. Have the perineal powerhouses such as Bedford, Pinkerton, Londonderry, Central, Concord, Exeter and maybe two others play in one division and the rest break into a new D1 with the top D2 squads. The 1A's could play a home and away to get the full schedule.

No reason for teams like Spaulding, Keene, Dover etc. to get a constant beat down by the top squads. And no reason for the middle tier teams to have no hope in playoffs.

Just a thought.

Comment

I found this thread interesting as I've been following HS soccer for some time. I agree with this post that there is no match between top D1 team versus top D2 team in boys. And after watching the 2 girls final, if Central played either of the D2 teams the goal difference would easily of been double digits. So there is no comparison between D1 top teams and any D2 squads.

But there is also a disparity between top D1 teams and rest of D1. Just look at the history of past champions.

What I think there should be is a 1A and a 1AA division. Have the perineal powerhouses such as Bedford, Pinkerton, Londonderry, Central, Concord, Exeter and maybe two others play in one division and the rest break into a new D1 with the top D2 squads. The 1A's could play a home and away to get the full schedule.

No reason for teams like Spaulding, Keene, Dover etc. to get a constant beat down by the top squads. And no reason for the middle tier teams to have no hope in playoffs.

Just a thought.
                        Or just have 5 divisions... ooops - someone already suggested that.

Comment

Fwiw,

I saw both the NH and Mass. div.1 boys state championship games. I live in Mass.

Bedford Or Manchester Central would have easily beaten both Mass. teams (Ludlow and Wellesley) by 3 or more goals. Mass. teams would have only have scored by a fluke goal.

Bedford v Manchester Central was just a fantastic game with so much talent on display.
                          I left the Mass. championship game at the end of reg. time with the score tied at zero due to being bored and discouraged. Maybe a total of 2 shots on net.

Comment

Or just have 5 divisions... ooops - someone already suggested that.
                            Is it because they enjoy 14-0 scoring results? It's time for a change. NHIAA is a run by 'Crock Pot' mentality. Set it and forget it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X