Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ok so you are fine with the mostly elderly 500k dead (gotta die eventually)
    You would have had all young people go about normal lives- almost certainly would have raised the number of dead olds
    And when the hospital capacity exhausted and non covid patients were impacted?
    And to all the people with non fatal but serious covid symptoms? Some long term? You say what? My kid needs to play soccer? I'm uncomfortable wearing a mask?
    This is such a tired and virtue-based viewpoint. You seem educated, safe bet you are familiar with the Trolley Problem. So short answer to your question is NO i do not intervene and pull the switch. The trolley is heading down the track and it’s about to run over a group of 10 elderly and obese people who cant get out of the way. Alternatively you could pull a switch and intentionally change the track of the trolley to run into a parking lot of full school buses containing 500 children. The buses protect them, and few to none will die but there will be physical damage that will keep them out of school and sports for a year, the bus company will go out of business and everyone will lose their job. Widespread mental health repercussions for years. You pull the switch? You intentionally harm 100s of school kids (cuz now its on you) rather than watch 10 elderly meet their fate

Comment

fwiw he has said states should prioritize teachers to get vaccines. And Baker has something to say this morning at 9a...

and again- kids are playing soccer outdoors!
      It's clear now that much of the reaction by the State and MA soccer authorities with respect to soccer was, indeed, an overreaction. And to their credit they've pulled back on much of it. It is now also becoming clear that applying the travel rules to trips of a few hours to states in the NE for the purpose of playing an outdoor soccer game is also an overreaction. The only question is whether they will pull these rules back in time to save a spring season for those in leagues that travel across borders.

Comment

It's clear now that much of the reaction by the State and MA soccer authorities with respect to soccer was, indeed, an overreaction. And to their credit they've pulled back on much of it. It is now also becoming clear that applying the travel rules to trips of a few hours to states in the NE for the purpose of playing an outdoor soccer game is also an overreaction. The only question is whether they will pull these rules back in time to save a spring season for those in leagues that travel across borders.
        As has been said all youth sports are facing this issue. If it was only soccer it might not get changed, but i'm sure other sports are reaching out to their state reps to complain. Soccer parents and clubs should do the same.

Comment

Again the expert chimes in. CDC if you can hear this, find out who this man is and hire him quickly!
          Experts?

CDC has clearly and definitively stated that kids should be back in school prior to the roll out of the vaccine.

WHO has clearly and definitely stated that their stance is the shutdowns cause more harm than the virus.

Also note that these experts are only experts at one thing, viruses. They are not experts in sociology-economic policy, mental health, education, etc….

Politicians are afraid of being blamed for even a single death (see Cuomo) so they continue the virtue signaling policies rather than making a fact based policy. This is why emergency powers should have been removed months ago. This way Baker (and other govs) wouldn’t feel that they would hold all the blame, and people could have had true representation in the decisions.

Comment

As has been said all youth sports are facing this issue. If it was only soccer it might not get changed, but i'm sure other sports are reaching out to their state reps to complain. Soccer parents and clubs should do the same.
            I love hockey but they haven't done youth sports any favors in this regard - at least some hockey organizations.

Comment

Experts?

CDC has clearly and definitively stated that kids should be back in school prior to the roll out of the vaccine.

WHO has clearly and definitely stated that their stance is the shutdowns cause more harm than the virus.

Also note that these experts are only experts at one thing, viruses. They are not experts in sociology-economic policy, mental health, education, etc….

Politicians are afraid of being blamed for even a single death (see Cuomo) so they continue the virtue signaling policies rather than making a fact based policy. This is why emergency powers should have been removed months ago. This way Baker (and other govs) wouldn’t feel that they would hold all the blame, and people could have had true representation in the decisions.
              I blame the F'EN!!! teachers Unions. They are the ones blatantly stopping the kids from returning to school. They s*ck!

Comment

Experts?

Also note that these experts are only experts at one thing, viruses. They are not experts in sociology-economic policy, mental health, education, etc…
                Both organizations clearly state that kids should be back in schools but it should be done safely, with mitigation procedures in place and taking into account for community infection levels.

Also, read up on what CDC and WHO actually handle. Their charters go way beyond viruses and infectious disease.

Comment

I blame the F'EN!!! teachers Unions. They are the ones blatantly stopping the kids from returning to school. They s*ck!
                  Indeed!
                  When i was younger i would seek out teachers.
                  Golf ball thru garden hose level skills

Comment

Amen! Elected officials want to keep their jobs and teachers vote en masse.

Comment

Both organizations clearly state that kids should be back in schools but it should be done safely, with mitigation procedures in place and taking into account for community infection levels.

Also, read up on what CDC and WHO actually handle. Their charters go way beyond viruses and infectious disease.
                      Yes, I over simplified for the sake of expedience. Point remains that they aren’t experts in enough areas to dictate socio-economic policy.

Comment

Amen! Elected officials want to keep their jobs and teachers vote en masse.
                        Hmmmm, catering to unions for votes ... wonder which party does that?!

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the teacher's union but in some districts and schools safety protocols aren't being taken seriously. That's their complaint. It is possible to have kids in school and they are in many parts of the US. But there have to be adjustments made and plenty of supplies in place plus enforcement and strict contact tracing protocols. Do you think TX teachers are happy about Abbot tossing masks yesterday?

Comment

From my reading of the new guidelines, while everyone is still required to wear a mask while participating in moderate risk sports (soccer), there is no longer a need for "modified Level 2 cohort play".. To me, that means throw-ins are now allowed along with heading. I only see the term 'modified' used in connection with high risk sports competitions...

So soccer still can't have "tournaments", but no longer has to play 'modified' soccer.

Comment

From my reading of the new guidelines, while everyone is still required to wear a mask while participating in moderate risk sports (soccer), there is no longer a need for "modified Level 2 cohort play".. To me, that means throw-ins are now allowed along with heading. I only see the term 'modified' used in connection with high risk sports competitions...

So soccer still can't have "tournaments", but no longer has to play 'modified' soccer.
                              Wait, people have actually been playing modified soccer? Not us.

Comment

Massachusetts returned to "real soccer" back in December.... Teams should have been practicing throw ins, corner kicks and contact since then.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X