Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son plays at a high level. Has been contacted by D1 coaches but will most likely be hard pressed to get an athletic scholarship of any significance...definitely not enough to cover the money spent on club soccer, travel, kits, etc. He wants D1 for two reasons, 1. to prove to himself that he can do it and 2. To show other people that he can do it.
    You might want to tell him a lot of players who just had to go D1 end up quitting or transferring down in conference or division with that type of mindset. If he cares about his own happiness and actually PLAYING college games tell him to find the right program regardless of division that he will be an IMPACT player. There are a lot of very unhappy competitive players that are practice players and never get off the bench during games.

My daughter's club teammate had this same mentality and walked-on to a small college with a D1 program towards the bottom 1/3 of D1 rankings. The program is under-funded, in the middle of nowhere, and usually loses. She saw about 200 minutes of playing time in 2 seasons total and quit the team and transferred schools with the soccer piece. She was very unhappy the whole time but thought, "It's D1!" Meanwhile, my daughter went to a D3 where she played a lot and was able to do pre-med and study abroad. Both girls were CBs on their club team and my daughter played all 90 minutes whereas her friend would sub in at CB/OB.

We are going through the process again with our '22. She has 2 D1 offers with 25%-30% athletic aid at schools she believes she could be happy at. She has already said if she didn't get much playing time that it wouldn't be worth it. We will visit the campuses during Spring Break. However, she is considering attending our flag ship state school and not playing soccer. With Covid, she is re-prioritizing what she thinks she wants.. this includes a campus with a vibrant social scene. Unfortunately, D3 schools aren't on her radar because she does not want to go to a small school or a highly competitive academic school, and that is perfectly fine with me. It's actually cheaper for us if she goes to our state school.

Comment

Acceptance rate only means a larger amount apply to that school and nothing more.
      That’s how math works Einstein.

Comment

You might want to tell him a lot of players who just had to go D1 end up quitting or transferring down in conference or division with that type of mindset. If he cares about his own happiness and actually PLAYING college games tell him to find the right program regardless of division that he will be an IMPACT player. There are a lot of very unhappy competitive players that are practice players and never get off the bench during games.

My daughter's club teammate had this same mentality and walked-on to a small college with a D1 program towards the bottom 1/3 of D1 rankings. The program is under-funded, in the middle of nowhere, and usually loses. She saw about 200 minutes of playing time in 2 seasons total and quit the team and transferred schools with the soccer piece. She was very unhappy the whole time but thought, "It's D1!" Meanwhile, my daughter went to a D3 where she played a lot and was able to do pre-med and study abroad. Both girls were CBs on their club team and my daughter played all 90 minutes whereas her friend would sub in at CB/OB.

We are going through the process again with our '22. She has 2 D1 offers with 25%-30% athletic aid at schools she believes she could be happy at. She has already said if she didn't get much playing time that it wouldn't be worth it. We will visit the campuses during Spring Break. However, she is considering attending our flag ship state school and not playing soccer. With Covid, she is re-prioritizing what she thinks she wants.. this includes a campus with a vibrant social scene. Unfortunately, D3 schools aren't on her radar because she does not want to go to a small school or a highly competitive academic school, and that is perfectly fine with me. It's actually cheaper for us if she goes to our state school.
        This is why parents should always ask "can you see yourself here if soccer goes away"? never pick a school where you can't because just about anything can happen - career ending injury, burnout, quitting over PT, cuts, new coach you hate, or just wanting to focus more on academics. It's true of all levels, not just D1. My oldest also couldn't seem themselves at smaller more isolated campuses, and every school they loved had larger D1 programs. They got offers from a few but just didn't want the D1 athlete lifestyle, so they walked away and picked the best school for them (midsize D1). Plays club and on a local adult team, having a blast, doing great in school, great internships already. Several of their club and high school teammates ended up transferring for the reasons above. Non athletes transfer too of course, but do what you can to minimize the odds. You can lose a lot of credits, time and money in the process

Comment

Acceptance rate only means a larger amount apply to that school and nothing more,of course ivy leagues acceptance rates are soo low who doesn’t want to go to Harvard or an Ivy.Who can afford it is another question.
          UMass Amherst = 26,335 accepted / 40,315 applications = 65% (yield = 19%)

Harvard = 2009 accepted / 43,330 applications = <5% (yield = 82%)

Comment

This is why parents should always ask "can you see yourself here if soccer goes away"? never pick a school where you can't because just about anything can happen - career ending injury, burnout, quitting over PT, cuts, new coach you hate, or just wanting to focus more on academics. It's true of all levels, not just D1. My oldest also couldn't seem themselves at smaller more isolated campuses, and every school they loved had larger D1 programs. They got offers from a few but just didn't want the D1 athlete lifestyle, so they walked away and picked the best school for them (midsize D1). Plays club and on a local adult team, having a blast, doing great in school, great internships already. Several of their club and high school teammates ended up transferring for the reasons above. Non athletes transfer too of course, but do what you can to minimize the odds. You can lose a lot of credits, time and money in the process
            What I hate about the broken leg test is how does a 16 year old kid know? How can they see themself at a school if soccer goes away when playing soccer has dominated most of their youth? Most kids might have an idea of what type of school and experience they want for college but once you add the sports piece to it, it's a lot more complicated. Especially if they are on scholarship and depend on it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X