Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most scholarships are only imaginary recruiting tools for lying big club coaches who have nothing else to offer the players and families so dangle that as if there is any real chacne of happening - maybe 1 in 2000 players - wake up people
    Man you really are bitter ("imaginary... lying"). Sorry it didn't work out for you, but there are many of for whom it actually did work out. While your 1 out of 2000 players is conceptually true, the reality is that those 1 out of 2000 from all the sandlot soccer across the country gather on just a few teams in each region. For players on those teams, it is the case that 90%+ are presented with scholarship opportunities.

Comment

Agree the board is better without BTDT.

There are different strategies with recruiting, and different goals. Our family's strategy-- which isn't for everyone-- was to focus on high academic schools where the coach thought my son would be an impact player. That makes recruiting easier (impact player). There's all levels of soccer for this -- d1, Duke, Georgetown, Ivies, d3 -- Amherst, Tufts, down to Vassar.

Other kids want to play at the highest level possible, are recruited as more practice players. Those kids are believing they will work hard and earn playing time, and they may very well.

Soccer is a subjective sport though, and it is nice going in to have the coach starting out thinking you are one of his strongest players. All this btw is on the boys side.

Comment

Not going to post an entire article that is behind a paywall. That's the entire point of paid subscriptions....
        saving journalism one post at a time

Comment

Parents on "top" teams tend to think their child is destined for college soccer.

Those parents literally trip over themselves trying to get their kids on the team, keep their kids on the team and most importantly, defend the team against any and all parents that refuse to accept their kid's team as "top," or "best."

From U12 to U18 it's all about the "best" soccer.

Then, after 8+ years and $50,000 - $100,000 spent on club soccer, it's suddenly about academics?

What am I missing?

Comment

What you are missing is that you are massively overgeneralizing. And massively stereotyping. But whatever, do you feel better about yourself because you look down on "those" soccer parents? One thing I am pretty certain of is that your kid was not in fact recruited, because if s/he were ypu wouldn't be so worried about what other people do, nor would ypu be so insecure.

Comment

What you are missing is that you are massively overgeneralizing. And massively stereotyping. But whatever, do you feel better about yourself because you look down on "those" soccer parents? One thing I am pretty certain of is that your kid was not in fact recruited, because if s/he were ypu wouldn't be so worried about what other people do, nor would ypu be so insecure.
              So I touched a nerve with a simple question that points to an anomaly?

Comment

Man you really are bitter ("imaginary... lying"). Sorry it didn't work out for you, but there are many of for whom it actually did work out. While your 1 out of 2000 players is conceptually true, the reality is that those 1 out of 2000 from all the sandlot soccer across the country gather on just a few teams in each region. For players on those teams, it is the case that 90%+ are presented with scholarship opportunities.
                Not the poster you are replying to, but 90% sounds high and you need to be clearer on what scholarship opportunity they are being “presented with” or otherwise you are even telling a mistruth if not an outright lie. In D1, there’s about 320 women’s teams so if the average recruiting class is about 7 players, that’s 2,240 players. There are only 14 scholarships for the entire team so that incoming class might have 3 to give to those 7 players. 1-2 of those 7 probably will get close to a significant scholarship and the rest split the remaining scholarships or get nothing. That’s a fact. I’m sure an ECNL might hear from a college they have no interest in and be presented with a scholarship offer that covers books or something, but let’s not pretend everyone’s dream school is handing out full scholarships. It’s fair to take “commitments” with a grain of salt unless the clubs want to provide NLI and scholarship $’s for each commitment.

Comment

Not the poster you are replying to, but 90% sounds high and you need to be clearer on what scholarship opportunity they are being “presented with” or otherwise you are even telling a mistruth if not an outright lie. In D1, there’s about 320 women’s teams so if the average recruiting class is about 7 players, that’s 2,240 players. There are only 14 scholarships for the entire team so that incoming class might have 3 to give to those 7 players. 1-2 of those 7 probably will get close to a significant scholarship and the rest split the remaining scholarships or get nothing. That’s a fact. I’m sure an ECNL might hear from a college they have no interest in and be presented with a scholarship offer that covers books or something, but let’s not pretend everyone’s dream school is handing out full scholarships. It’s fair to take “commitments” with a grain of salt unless the clubs want to provide NLI and scholarship $’s for each commitment.
                  Academics can also be the major concern with D1 recruits. The Ivy League offers $0.00 in athletic scholarships. There are players headed to Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton and Yale for the academics. If your player can secure a hook at a school with a <20% acceptance rate you've already won, whether it's D1 or D3.

Comment

Acceptance rate only means a larger amount apply to that school and nothing more,of course ivy leagues acceptance rates are soo low who doesn’t want to go to Harvard or an Ivy.Who can afford it is another question.

Comment

My words were chosen carefully. When it comes to top teams 90%+ of players are presented with scholarship opportunities. I didn’t say anything about the amount of the offer nor the desirability of the college to that player. Many on team chose Ivy for no money, some chose D3 for same reasons, and others made choices that balanced offer size, program quality, and school fit. Post was direct reply to the “1 in 2000” statement implying scholarships were unattainable. While they are for many, if your kid is playing on a top team and scholarships are your families top priority there is high degree of probability that a (lower tier) d1 program will make a good offer.

Comment

Lots of factors play into college choice. Pick whats best for you and be proud.

My D picked a school with no Athletic Aid, I’m thrilled for her and cant wait to see her play at college level. Thats enough for us. I don’t see need to tell you about all of her other offers, but I do catch your tell when you reveal that D3 is a disappointment when you also feel the need to tell me “she coulda gone D1”.

Comment

Lots of factors play into college choice. Pick whats best for you and be proud.

My D picked a school with no Athletic Aid, I’m thrilled for her and cant wait to see her play at college level. Thats enough for us. I don’t see need to tell you about all of her other offers, but I do catch your tell when you reveal that D3 is a disappointment when you also feel the need to tell me “she coulda gone D1”.
                          Congratulations and good luck to her! That’s the right attitude that is missing from this conversation. The PLAYER wants to play and finds the right fit for them rather than PARENTS getting involved and directing the decision by playing the scholarship game.

Comment

Congratulations and good luck to her! That’s the right attitude that is missing from this conversation. The PLAYER wants to play and finds the right fit for them rather than PARENTS getting involved and directing the decision by playing the scholarship game.
                            Sometimes the parents can't let go of D1, sometimes it's the player. Sometimes a solid D1 offer is the only way to make college happen. Each player's circumstances, goals, opportunities are unique to them.

Comment

My son plays at a high level. Has been contacted by D1 coaches but will most likely be hard pressed to get an athletic scholarship of any significance...definitely not enough to cover the money spent on club soccer, travel, kits, etc. He wants D1 for two reasons, 1. to prove to himself that he can do it and 2. To show other people that he can do it. The NESJ article was great because I am currently doing everything I can to convince him that D1 or D3 doesn't matter. Picking a school that you want to go to if you were injured is a priority (in addition to the major he is interested in). He's done club for 9 years and I have never once thought about him getting an athletic scholarship. My thought was that soccer might give him an edge in acceptance. At some of the "top" schools his gpa is mid to low of the range of acceptance. If soccer can give him that edge then I consider the money spent to be worth it.

The part that everyone misses in these TS arguments about money is the real value has been the time you have spent with your kid. Enjoy every minute of the drive and don't let them wear their headphones or stare at their phone. Don't lecture them about their play or other players. Eventually he/she will get their license and won't need you to drive them...enjoy the time while you can.

Comment

^ it is all over before you know it and you find that you miss it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X