Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D1 Dead Period Extended Again through May 31, 2021!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Here's a harsh reality rarely anyone discusses esp at P5 programs. Coaches will "recruit" players knowing they will never see anytime (or very little time) on the field if that means parents will pay a substantial amount of money to attend there when the player is on little-to-no scholarship. Why do you think some rosters are 30-40 players deep? Coaches have enormous pressure to bring in revenue for the school. If a player is offered "book money" and signs an NLI but pays $40-70k/year (even with merit aid), that is a win-win for the school, youth club, and the parents that flex they have a collegiate D1 athlete.
    Lol you think that doesn't happen in D3 also? Doesn't cost the school hardly anything so a big roster is nearly all profit. That plus alumni dollars from athletic programs are things thay won't show up on a budget or financial statement in such a way, but schools know the benefits.

Comment

I wish offers were more transparent like those in head count sports. There have been cases where players we know on older teams within our club were recruited to what seemed like great programs and schools even though their skill level didn’t match the level of play for that program. Looking at playing time, one player got zero another got 25 min total for a season all played in one game. I just thought how terribly sad it must be for them. One of these players isn’t on the roster this year. Guessing she quit.

Comment

I wish offers were more transparent like those in head count sports. There have been cases where players we know on older teams within our club were recruited to what seemed like great programs and schools even though their skill level didn’t match the level of play for that program. Looking at playing time, one player got zero another got 25 min total for a season all played in one game. I just thought how terribly sad it must be for them. One of these players isn’t on the roster this year. Guessing she quit.
        You've hit why it's very important to do your own research when starting the process. Before you even put a school on the list look at their roster - who's on it, what's their background and how much PT do they get? If the ones playing the most have much stronger resumes than yours then be warned you might not play much. It's normal for freshmen to not get much PT but getting none is not a good sign. Pull rosters for a few years and look to see if as sophomores they get more, or is there a ton of turnover (red flag!).

Don't rely on a club to ever share this information with you - reality hurts their business model. They love to have prestige placements as a marketing tool to recruit more players. Most could care less what happens to players once they go to school. A quality club or coach will help you find a good soccer fit to improve your odds of success. With Covid screwing up recruiting it's more important than ever to target well.

Comment

5th year only applies to those who had their season canceled. However some players red shirted or deferred a year south theywill also be around longer. It's made recruiting a mess and thrown the usual planning timeliness out the window. Yes, fewer spots, less money but that doesn't mean you should give up on something you want. More so than ever, targeting the right programs will be critical to success. If you're a 22 keep hustling, make sure to video all your games, and plan on ID events this summer. Go see schools you're targeting if you can - very few have tours but you can at least walk around campus and see if you like it. All campuses look great in the online tours but it won't show you if its next to a lousy neighborhood or nothing in the way of shops and restaurants nearby
          The 20-21 season does not count towards eligibility whether they had a season or not.

Comment

The 20-21 season does not count towards eligibility whether they had a season or not.
            All NCAA sports were granted 1 year at one point or another. No one will have 2 years unless they RS or injury exception. Then they would potentially have 6 years.

Comment

Headcount sports aren't totally transparent either. Most girls get a full scholarship for only some of the years, usually 2, and those are the back 2. Coach takes little risk.

Comment

Headcount sports aren't totally transparent either. Most girls get a full scholarship for only some of the years, usually 2, and those are the back 2. Coach takes little risk.
                Wait, what? My dd played D1 basketball and I'm not aware of any recruited player that was on full scholarship their freshman year having it taken away in later years.

Comment

Those extra years are not free full pay regardless of scholarship.

Comment

I coach Women's Soccer at a D1 University and here are some roster/program facts (which would pretty much hold true at any school)

1) Most college rosters these days average between 26-32.
                    2) As a parent/player, I would be hesitant to consider any program with over 33 or 34. That is simply too many players to manage, and you may end up on the 'farm team'
                    3) We have never received "pressure" to recruit just to land more tuition dollars for the school (!?)
                    4) To train effectively at college level, it's necessary to be able to play full field. Even with a roster of 30, it's barely feasible at times (you may have 4 GKs, and half a dozen injured at any given time). We don't necessarily like having to manage 30 players, but it is necessary to create the most effective and functional training environment
                    5) Do the math----with 30 players, more will NOT play than do play. We can only put 11 on field

Some facts resulting from the 2020 Covid mess/extra year of eligibility:

1) The extra year will have significant impact for the 21s/22s/23s/24s
                    2) You would be very surprised how many parents ARE willing to pay money for an extra year because of how badly they feel for what these kids have been through. We had already committed a full slate of 2021s before shutdown and have no money to continue scholarships for any seniors yet 3 or 4 are going to stay for the Fall semester and pay for it themselves just to have another season.
                    3) There are currently 404 players in the D1 WSocc transfer portal and that number will be much higher when the spring season concludes in a couple months
                    4) Experience is KING. it's a no brainer for us to pay to have a four year seasoned 22yr old stay as opposed to bringing in an unproven 18 year old. Many of them are in situations where Mom and Dad are willing to pay for Grad school since they had a scholarship for undergrad OR some are getting underload waivers where they graduate and are just taking a class or 2, which doesn't cost much.
                    5) The situation is creating a logistical nightmare for us recruiting-wise as we try to project our depth charts for '23 and '24 classes. For example, if the current freshmen and sophomore players that we have and would want to stay do stay, we have 32 on our 2023 roster without having committed any 2023s yet!

My personal opinion is that this mess will create anywhere from 25% to 60% less total available roster spots across all programs through 2024.

Comment

Take whatever deal you have on the table ASAP.

Comment

Wait, what? My dd played D1 basketball and I'm not aware of any recruited player that was on full scholarship their freshman year having it taken away in later years.
                        Didn't say they had it taken away.
                        The offers I am seeing in Volleyball (also headcount sport) are for scholarship Jr and Sr year. Family pays Fr and So

Comment

Didn't say they had it taken away.
                          The offers I am seeing in Volleyball (also headcount sport) are for scholarship Jr and Sr year. Family pays Fr and So
                          A few programs were already doing that, or stating low and adding more each year - you have to prove yourself and earn you pay. It's pretty smart on the schools part. After two years if you don't get money or get cut or quit are you going to leave a school you probably like and are settled in?

That said, such a plan would probably only work at high demand academic schools and not for Bball or football

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X