Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A footnote maybe but I would give a pass to any kid/parent with a late-year birthday who knows their team won't really be playing the next year - by that I mean a kid who transfers during their 7th grade, when most of the team is in 8th grade and there will be no season in the fall because most of the team will be playing on a HS team.
    Which again reminds us what a disaster the move to calendar year vs school year was for most kids and families.

Comment

The large rosters serves no one better than the club. Seeing roster sizes approaching what colleges carry at U14 is nothing short of criminal. Talk about training all you want but if your kid isn't playing at these ages its not a good thing. There are exceptions to this but if your kid can't break into the starting line up or be a strong role player on a large roster team at the older ages they should find a more suitable alternative that they will be getting game time experience. They are just gravy for the club and the clubs love their gravy.
      Perfectly said!!

Comment

Which again reminds us what a disaster the move to calendar year vs school year was for most kids and families.
        I absolutely hate the calendar year over going by the grade. So tired of seeing kids lose out heading into 8th grade because the entire team left for High School. New thread... but I heard they were trying to go back to grade level, still waiting on this though.

Comment

I absolutely hate the calendar year over going by the grade. So tired of seeing kids lose out heading into 8th grade because the entire team left for High School. New thread... but I heard they were trying to go back to grade level, still waiting on this though.
          I hope it changes back but I can't see these idiots admitting they made a mistake and changing it back.

Comment

Lots of movement in RI this winter, into spring.

Lots of movement due to the new Surf club over in RI. Players leaving the small clubs for the big Surf club. We are still with the small club but it is hard to see half our daughters team leave and it's not just her team several teams and clubs are losing players and coaches. Bayside, NEFC and Liverpool lost players to Surf over the fall and winter. We don't want to leave our club, but with all her friends leaving and now the talent is lacking on her team. We will finish up the spring, not leave mid-year. Hard to explain to your kid why all her friends left for Surf. It's sad for her, the team, and our club. Her friends at another club went through the same thing and now they are rebuilding. Went from being the strongest team in RI to the weakest. Sad Surf has landed in RI. It is destroying the soccer landscape. The kids are happy to go to Surf and be with their friends but it only hurts soccer in the long run.

Comment

I hope it changes back but I can't see these idiots admitting they made a mistake and changing it back.
              it is so great having it by birth year. no more having to deal with redshirt crazy parents proud of their Joey who just happens to be 1.5 years older than everyone else.

an inconvenience for some players for one season of their youth soccer experience.

Comment

So tired of seeing kids lose out heading into 8th grade because the entire team left for High School.
                That kid who is going into 8th grade while her/his teammates are going to HS... shouldn't have been on that team to begin with, exactly to avoid the disappointment of basically having to sit out the Fall season until teammates come back from HS.

Comment

#5 Our U9 Coach asks my kid to leave the team, because despite losing every game in the Fall, he is trying to attract elite players to the team and my kid just isn't up to snuff. This was after he said that 'winning doesn't matter' and 'the only thing that matters is effort'. We showed up to every practice, every game and did all the bonus sessions we were asked to do outside of practice. Oh yeah, and my kid was a starter (yes, yes, he was the worst of the starters, but my point is that he wasn't worst kid on the roster)

My kid is a December birthday (among other 'shortcomings'), so things were already stacked against him being elite either now or later, so not overly surprised that he wasn't going to be good enough for the team at some point. I just never expected to be told in the middle of the season that my kid shouldn't expect playing time after we paid up and did everything the coach asked my kid to do. It's one if thing if the kid doesn't make the cut at tryouts, but to ask someone to leave in the middle of the season is just harsh.

So no, it's not just parent driven.

Comment

Man that sucks. Coach is an ass.

If you are going through this right now I'd suggest reaching out to the DoC and letting them know what's going on. And if the DoC is on board then get the heck out of that club!

#5 Our U9 Coach asks my kid to leave the team, because despite losing every game in the Fall, he is trying to attract elite players to the team and my kid just isn't up to snuff. This was after he said that 'winning doesn't matter' and 'the only thing that matters is effort'. We showed up to every practice, every game and did all the bonus sessions we were asked to do outside of practice. Oh yeah, and my kid was a starter (yes, yes, he was the worst of the starters, but my point is that he wasn't worst kid on the roster)

My kid is a December birthday (among other 'shortcomings'), so things were already stacked against him being elite either now or later, so not overly surprised that he wasn't going to be good enough for the team at some point. I just never expected to be told in the middle of the season that my kid shouldn't expect playing time after we paid up and did everything the coach asked my kid to do. It's one if thing if the kid doesn't make the cut at tryouts, but to ask someone to leave in the middle of the season is just harsh.

Comment

it is so great having it by birth year. no more having to deal with redshirt crazy parents proud of their Joey who just happens to be 1.5 years older than everyone else.

an inconvenience for some players for one season of their youth soccer experience.
                      In the school year scenario kids were no more than 1 year older...August 1 - July 31. The only thing they did was slide the dates but the 1 year gap remained. Only way a kid played against someone 1.5 years older than everyone else was if they were a foreign club coming here for a tournament and suddenly had to play up a year or if they were playing up in their own club.

And by the way - it screws up 2 years of youth soccer experience. Kids get hit in the front end when 1/2 team goes off to HS and they get hit in the back end when 1/2 team goes off to college. And in some cases it's 3 times as many clubs will bring back those some college players during regional or national events.

Comment

That kid who is going into 8th grade while her/his teammates are going to HS... shouldn't have been on that team to begin with, exactly to avoid the disappointment of basically having to sit out the Fall season until teammates come back from HS.
                        So you don't have a kid or you can't do math. If your kid is born Sept-Dec of 2005 your child is in the grade below the rest of the team mates that are born Jan-Aug 2005, same calendar year, two different grades. The kids born in the fall lose out when their team heads to high school, and again when their team heads to college. Sept-Dec kids are also younger, smaller, less mature and psychologically a year behind even if it looks like 6-12 most on the calendar because they end up in a lower grade they are less mature. Calendar plan screws the kids over.

Comment

This is exactly what is wrong with youth sports. This coach is a complete tool. To do this at U9 is mind blowing.

Talk to the DOC? Then what? DOC speaks to the coach your kid stays and the coach holds a grudge and treats your kid like crap. Run for this craphole.

Comment

Sounds to me like a verbal offer to end your commitment with the club. Unless that verbal offer has been retracted, I recommend reaching out to the DOC, accepting the offer and request a fund for any remaining fees for services not rendered. Find a new club as the current coach is going to make your kid's life miserable and may even drive your kid from the sport. Unfortunately your experience is not unique as there are a lot of a-hole coaches out there.

Comment

Sounds to me like a verbal offer to end your commitment with the club. Unless that verbal offer has been retracted, I recommend reaching out to the DOC, accepting the offer and request a fund for any remaining fees for services not rendered. Find a new club as the current coach is going to make your kid's life miserable and may even drive your kid from the sport. Unfortunately your experience is not unique as there are a lot of a-hole coaches out there.
                              Good advise and this is the approach to take while walking maybe even running away for this crappy coach/club. Current coach is a joke. I applaud you for not drop kicking him.

Comment

Your club has only added 60-70 players? My club added that last week.
                                dude stfu you fag

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X