Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Player Movement

Is it common for players to switch teams in the winter. Seems like a crappy thing to do to your current team.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is it common for players to switch teams in the winter. Seems like a crappy thing to do to your current team.
    Not common, but it does happen.

I'm always leery of a player joining mid-season, since in the past they don't last more than a year and then hop again.

Usually parent-driven.

Comment

It is when you have clubs looking to add more revenue to their business

Comment

Happens more than you might think - usually it's someone who is pretty unhappy with their current situation but sometimes it's someone who knows they plan to move in the Fall and want to get ahead of it. I agree it is crappy for the current team on the one hand but I've also accepted that you ultimately do have to do what is best for you with these clubs since they don't necessarily look out for your best interest. As for your current team it can also create opportunity for existing players. You might also be surprised how quickly the clubs can fill those holes with new players.

Comment

I moved my kid in the winter because by the end of the winter session, after being with a club 6-7 months. The fall season went well enough, but there was zero development through the winter and it became clear that the club he was at was just not going to be the challenge he was looking for.

Comment

I moved my kid in the winter because by the end of the winter session, after being with a club 6-7 months. The fall season went well enough, but there was zero development through the winter and it became clear that the club he was at was just not going to be the challenge he was looking for.

See...parent-driven.

Comment

See...parent-driven.
              Parent-driven doesn't necessarily mean bad - at least not in every case. We are talking about kids after all.

Comment

We have added 60-70 players across our teams from November. There’s more movement than in years’ past.

Comment

Crappy for the club? The team will not give a refund and then fill the slot with someone else. The club makes more money in my experience.

Comment

We have added 60-70 players across our teams from November. There’s more movement than in years’ past.
                    Your club has only added 60-70 players? My club added that last week.

Comment

A parent has to look out for the best interest of their kid. Why waste 3 or 4 months if the coaching, training and development is not helping your kid and the director of coaching doesn't do anything about it?

The current club is not going to refund the money and they will actively recruit a replacement player. Its business no matter how much clubs try to push the false "player first" narrative. If it was truly player first then clubs would spend more time making sure that there is a consistent training and development approach across their teams.

Comment

Coach here, definitely does happen. Usually:

1. kid is having a crappy experience and family wants out
                        2. parent thinks kid is too good to be on a team that didn't win enough in the Fall season.

For NEP (likely others as well), there's a rule that players must be paid up in full to be able to join a new club, which some parents get pissy about when trying to leave, but it's there to protect clubs against families just jumping from club to club to club. Though in many cases the new club will take a hit (not charge/or not charge much) for the player to jump over so they can pay their dues at the prior club and come across mid year with the hope they'll sign and pay for the following year.

Comment

Coach here, definitely does happen. Usually:

1. kid is having a crappy experience and family wants out
                          2. parent thinks kid is too good to be on a team that didn't win enough in the Fall season.

For NEP (likely others as well), there's a rule that players must be paid up in full to be able to join a new club, which some parents get pissy about when trying to leave, but it's there to protect clubs against families just jumping from club to club to club. Though in many cases the new club will take a hit (not charge/or not charge much) for the player to jump over so they can pay their dues at the prior club and come across mid year with the hope they'll sign and pay for the following year.
                          From what I've seen, far too often point #1 is actually related to point #2. When a parent is screaming at a kid and is always on the coach's ass about something, it gets labelled as a "crappy experience", but in reality they're the ones who create the experience.

Be weary of any player who has as many clubs under their belt as years playing. That's a cancer, and you'd all be better off without.

Comment

3. Club has not been able to field a full team and family is tired of club having to call up younger players to fill the roster.

(maybe that happens less now that GPS is no longer with us)

Comment

4. Team travels out of state for a tournament and coach shows up totally hung-over for first game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X