Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Don't agree with the OP but have always found it interesting that most of the major clubs are in fact set up as non-profits (eg Stars, NEFC etc.). Which means there are no owners in the usual sense. I'm not suggesting they are breaking the legal/tax rules but it does make it more plausible to argue they have some greater level of social responsibility than a private, for-profit club would have.

Surely you can't be serious.

I've heard a lot of things on this site, but referencing those two clubs and "social responsibility" is a new one - Stars in particular with the shanagans they pulled with their 2nd teams. There is nothing socially responsible in how they operate.

Just call it what it is: A fantastic money-making endeavor and a profitable marketing niche.

Comment

2nd teams?

Comment

I've heard a lot of things on this site, but referencing those two clubs and "social responsibility" is a new one - Stars in particular with the shanagans they pulled with their 2nd teams. There is nothing socially responsible in how they operate.

Just call it what it is: A fantastic money-making endeavor and a profitable marketing niche.
        Come on, man. I wasn't saying that they ARE socially responsible. I was saying that as non-profits you can argue they SHOULD be more socially responsible. Just saying "it's pure capitalism so leave them alone" isn't as compelling when you're dealing with non-profits. "A fantastic money-making endeavor and a profitable marketing niche" are not the first things that come to mind when you hear "non-profit".

Comment

Come on, man. I wasn't saying that they ARE socially responsible. I was saying that as non-profits you can argue they SHOULD be more socially responsible. Just saying "it's pure capitalism so leave them alone" isn't as compelling when you're dealing with non-profits. "A fantastic money-making endeavor and a profitable marketing niche" are not the first things that come to mind when you hear "non-profit".

Gotcha. I knew that didn't make sense, hence it shouldn't have!

Comment

Different poster just chiming in and I agree - non profit clubs are a farce really. Most turn a tidy "profit" that is not rolled back into scholarships or other community based assistance programs. the director(s) get paid a tidy sum, often much more than a director of a "socially responsible" non profit would make feeding the hungry etc. Club boards are usually stacked with a few friends or parents who green light everything the director(s) want.

Comment

Time to take the big money making clubs down - anyone paying more than 1500 is just giving profit to the owners of these clubs - making of them millionaires and you are getting just as good coaching at your travel teams in most cases. I have been here on both sides for over 20 years and it is fact. Big money making clubs ruining American soccer - happens nowhere else
              Which clubs charge less than $1500? Side note. If your club charges $1500, but then charges for tournaments plus futsal your club is not $1500.

Comment

NFP is a tax status. Nothing else. Ask the Clinton’s

Comment

NFP is a tax status. Nothing else. Ask the Clinton’s
                  Not to turn political but the foundation gets excellent ratings from agencies that evaluate NFPs. Soccer clubs are too small to be bothered with but reviewers would be appalled at how little these clubs give back in some socially meaningful way

Comment

The NRA is a non-profit.

Comment

Which clubs charge less than $1500? Side note. If your club charges $1500, but then charges for tournaments plus futsal your club is not $1500.
                      Honestly that would be every single club in the state.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X