Time to take the big money making clubs down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread and some of the responses are laughable. As a parent I can decide if my son plays club soccer and can decide what I pay. So if I choose to pay $2000 because I see value and I can, then I will. Clubs here give scholarships so these comments all make no sense. If someone can’t afford it they are helped financially. If someone can pay $2000 and want to that’s there choice. Stop blaming clubs for providing a service that families choose to pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Big money making clubs ruining American soccer - happens nowhere else
      Is it really possible to ruin American soccer? Wouldn't it have to be good first?

Comment

This thread and some of the responses are laughable. As a parent I can decide if my son plays club soccer and can decide what I pay. So if I choose to pay $2000 because I see value and I can, then I will. Clubs here give scholarships so these comments all make no sense. If someone can’t afford it they are helped financially. If someone can pay $2000 and want to that’s there choice. Stop blaming clubs for providing a service that families choose to pay for.
        Sure, they offer scholarships to cover SOME of the costs.

Families still have to figure out how to keep working and driving to some of these places and those costs, which they are on their own for.

It's disingenuous to say "we give them a scholarship" and think that every player now has the same opportunity. Said differently: BULLSHlT!!

Comment

Thanks Coach get a real job, this should be a hobby

Comment

Is it really possible to ruin American soccer? Wouldn't it have to be good first?
            Exactly. The funny thing is the crap that college players play is a direct reflection of the failed American soccer experiment from youth to Pro. Watching the game played any where else but America is a pleasure for the most part. The numbers don't lie. Americans can't compete with most other countries in this sport because of the crap that starts when the kids are 5 years old.

Comment

Thanks Coach get a real job, this should be a hobby
              Having DOC's making $125k or above is laughable so go ahead pay the money because your kid will be so much better for it.

Comment

🤣best post of the day

Comment

Scholarships are rare and clubs usually require proof of need with ver low income levels. Lots of kids are left out due to fees and especially travel

Comment

Scholarships are rare and clubs usually require proof of need with ver low income levels. Lots of kids are left out due to fees and especially travel
                    Clarification, lots of more talented and athletic kids are left out because who other than the majority being White Privilege can afford $7k-$10k on soccer (this is for ECNL with travel). These numbers are exactly what we paid before the pandemic. Number will be more once things go back to traveling across the country to play twice a year.

Comment

Clarification, lots of more talented and athletic kids are left out because who other than the majority being White Privilege can afford $7k-$10k on soccer (this is for ECNL with travel). These numbers are exactly what we paid before the pandemic. Number will be more once things go back to traveling across the country to play twice a year.
                      so don't play ECNL. there are other leagues and clubs. there's town and HS. is it the same - nope. does it have to be? nope.

Comment

so don't play ECNL. there are other leagues and clubs. there's town and HS. is it the same - nope. does it have to be? nope.
                        And, that's OK.

Let's just acknowledge that the players are the best of the rich, and let's move along. No need to change anything. Accept that youth soccer in America is not a sport for everyone, which is unique across the world.

The typical American youth soccer player plays it because the already rich mommy and daddy wants to tell everyone on Facebook their kid got a scholarship (and who are those who least NEED a scholarship).

Quality of the game, and advancing to become the world leader our history of success and athleticism in all sports? Not a factor.

Comment

Time to take the big money making clubs down - anyone paying more than 1500 is just giving profit to the owners of these clubs - making of them millionaires and you are getting just as good coaching at your travel teams in most cases. I have been here on both sides for over 20 years and it is fact. Big money making clubs ruining American soccer - happens nowhere else
                          I agree...Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid have all ruined soccer.

Comment

I agree these academies are run like organized crime with some really bad kids around our kids.

So how do we take them down?
                            Tell everyone to march “peacefully” and attack the pitches where they work.

Comment

Time to take the big money making clubs down - anyone paying more than 1500 is just giving profit to the owners of these clubs - making of them millionaires and you are getting just as good coaching at your travel teams in most cases. I have been here on both sides for over 20 years and it is fact. Big money making clubs ruining American soccer - happens nowhere else
                              This assumes $1500 is worth the same everywhere and does not differentiate between the cost of real estate, employees and other overhead between different regions. So who prorates the appropriate sum that should be spent?

Nevermind the fact that "everywhere else" where soccer is not being ruined, they have different set ups for making money. Usually that is via developing and then selling players. Take a look into that practice and what it means for the 99.8% of players there and say honestly that it is a more honorable way to fund things than what we have.

Comment

The very foolish OP obviously missed his/her calling as a political activist, or is one of the few fools who got off scott free upon returning from the Capitol Riots.

Instead of threatening "to take the big money clubs down" why not just take your kids and go to a small club? Oh, wait, but then you won't be able to go to the neighborhood cocktail party and brag about how Junior is a world class soccer star in the making.

If your kid is an average soccer player you should actually take him/her back to the grass roots and play town soccer, because that college scholarship ain't happening.

If you kid is super committed and is showing signs of some talent, then you need to decide what you are willing to invest.

The Big Money clubs exist because there is a line of people willing to pay for that experience. What is wrong with that?

Most of you on TS have jobs and in those jobs you somehow address a consumer's need for the product or service you provide. The youth soccer industry is the same. So why are you thrashing about like you've been screwed?

Take a chill pill and have a think.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X