Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why do you continue to talk about Ambush and Surf. Ambush is a group of girls from the same town that have been playing together since they were 5 years old. They then decided to play together in club. To have enough for a team they added some girls from their club because of friendships they made with them and to have enough players to keep playing together. What’s the problem? As far as Puma. Stop saying they’re doing it for the money. Trust me they’re not getting rich doing this. Many have said it before that RI is small with not a lot of players. Why not try to find these players and get them together to push and challenge each other to reach their potential. LR could leave these kids on town teams where they play 3 player hero ball and think there developing players to just find out later when they get to 11v11 and realize they don’t know what they’re doing and those three heroes never developed. The only way to get RI soccer better is for our limited pool of skilled players to find each other and push and challenge each other.

Not sure if this is a case of brainwashing or complete ignorance. Over the years RI has produced many quality players. Players that grew up playing town, club and schools. Long before this LR was on the scene. To think that "skilled players need to find each other" to be successful shows how little you know about the game and more importantly the development of our children. It is the self aggrandizing behavior that is everything wrong with youth sports.

The op did not state the kids will not develop at all, doing it whatever way YOU see fit. He simply stated that to get the top talent to train/play together is the best way to challenge/develop the kids. Is it not the norm for kids to play with/against other kids at or near their skill level in every sport? Or do you feel the kids that train 5 or 6 days a week, should just play with the kids that don't, to try and help the ones that don't put in the extra work to develop? To me, that makes no sense for the kids putting in the extra effort.

Comment

The op did not state the kids will not develop at all, doing it whatever way YOU see fit. He simply stated that to get the top talent to train/play together is the best way to challenge/develop the kids. Is it not the norm for kids to play with/against other kids at or near their skill level in every sport? Or do you feel the kids that train 5 or 6 days a week, should just play with the kids that don't, to try and help the ones that don't put in the extra work to develop? To me, that makes no sense for the kids putting in the extra effort.
      Just to level set here we are talking for the most part about kids that were born in 2011 which makes them 9 years old....so training 5 or 6 days a week makes zero sense. For the "serious" players at that age, a good club will provide the necessary training without the need for these quasi club teams playing in superliga. Wow this parent group may just take the cake...

Comment

Just to level set here we are talking for the most part about kids that were born in 2011 which makes them 9 years old....so training 5 or 6 days a week makes zero sense. For the "serious" players at that age, a good club will provide the necessary training without the need for these quasi club teams playing in superliga. Wow this parent group may just take the cake...
        Totally 100% ^^^ this!
        What these overzealous parents are doing to their kids is ruining soccer for them.
        A 9 year old can play with friends outdoors, ride bikes, climb trees and try other sports to stay in shape. The clubs usually offer practices 2 times a week with games on the weekend at age 9. In the winter 1x a week with possibly a league game on the weekend or futsal. From what I am hearing and reading this group of 2011 girls are practicing and playing 5-6 times a week. when are these kids just kids? Have the coaches heard of injury from overuse, psychological burnout? They have but they gamble and push them claiming, "My child loves it and wants to go everyday..." We don't believe you. What we all know as parents is kids need a break, and time to be kids. Your are scrapping their childhood for your ego. So very wrong. THEY ARE 9!

Comment

Totally 100% ^^^ this!
          What these overzealous parents are doing to their kids is ruining soccer for them.
          A 9 year old can play with friends outdoors, ride bikes, climb trees and try other sports to stay in shape. The clubs usually offer practices 2 times a week with games on the weekend at age 9. In the winter 1x a week with possibly a league game on the weekend or futsal. From what I am hearing and reading this group of 2011 girls are practicing and playing 5-6 times a week. when are these kids just kids? Have the coaches heard of injury from overuse, psychological burnout? They have but they gamble and push them claiming, "My child loves it and wants to go everyday..." We don't believe you. What we all know as parents is kids need a break, and time to be kids. Your are scrapping their childhood for your ego. So very wrong. THEY ARE 9!

Is it possible your kid just isn't into it as much as these kids? Do you not believe in daily exercise? If they play an hour or so a day, can they not climb trees and ride their bikes before or after training? What's absurd is you throw a blanket over all kids and feel they all need the same thing. NEWSFLASH, every kid is different.

Comment

Is it possible your kid just isn't into it as much as these kids? Do you not believe in daily exercise? If they play an hour or so a day, can they not climb trees and ride their bikes before or after training? What's absurd is you throw a blanket over all kids and feel they all need the same thing. NEWSFLASH, every kid is different.
            Nah not buying it. It's not about my kid. It's about the coaches of these poor 2011 girls teams pushing girls to toss away childhood memories to play soccer every night. It's not about other kids not being as into it as you say your kid is (who is likely just trying to gain your approval) it's about the other kids having a childhood and your kid pushed to train over and over at a young age. It's really not putting your kid first. You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what you are afraid of if your daughter takes a few nights off a week and hangs with friends. Why does that frighten you. Do you know what is going to happen? She will become a teen and feel totally burnt out trying to please daddy and crave time with friends. She will find a boyfriend, and many other interests and totally drop soccer. You have to find balance of the kids do quit. Facts. Give your daughters age 9 a month off, she and you will be better off I promise Ambush dads. You might want to read some biographies of athletes like Alex Morgan who played many sports and did not over do it at age 9.

Comment

Nah not buying it. It's not about my kid. It's about the coaches of these poor 2011 girls teams pushing girls to toss away childhood memories to play soccer every night. It's not about other kids not being as into it as you say your kid is (who is likely just trying to gain your approval) it's about the other kids having a childhood and your kid pushed to train over and over at a young age. It's really not putting your kid first. You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what you are afraid of if your daughter takes a few nights off a week and hangs with friends. Why does that frighten you. Do you know what is going to happen? She will become a teen and feel totally burnt out trying to please daddy and crave time with friends. She will find a boyfriend, and many other interests and totally drop soccer. You have to find balance of the kids do quit. Facts. Give your daughters age 9 a month off, she and you will be better off I promise Ambush dads. You might want to read some biographies of athletes like Alex Morgan who played many sports and did not over do it at age 9.

You got the powerball #s in that crystal ball of yours, "townie parent"?

Comment

You got the powerball #s in that crystal ball of yours, "townie parent"?
                New poster. I have been reading this thread and am actually amazed at the level of insanity being thrown around about 2011’s (even for TS, this is a bit much).

To the poster mocking someone as a “townie parent”. First, get over yourself. Every kid has their own path in sports and putting parents and their kids down because they aren’t following your path is pretty immature.

Lots of kids that are “high level” club players at 9 will quit the sport before high school. How do I know? My kid plays ECNL and this story plays out constantly. What a kid is at 9 is not what they will be at 12, or at 15, or at 17. I’ve seen many talented kids burn out due to over involved parents that pushed too hard at the young ages, and others that simply lost interest. Some great younger players continue to improve, some plateau, and some get passed by kids that were not as strong early on. The biggest thing that I would say is that keeping things fun at the younger ages should be a priority. If a kid wants to play at a high level (note—the KID needs to want this, not the parent), it will get cutthroat soon enough. No need to rush them into that stress early.

Just my two cents from experience. I’m sure someone will come back and throw some insults.

Comment

New poster. I have been reading this thread and am actually amazed at the level of insanity being thrown around about 2011’s (even for TS, this is a bit much).

To the poster mocking someone as a “townie parent”. First, get over yourself. Every kid has their own path in sports and putting parents and their kids down because they aren’t following your path is pretty immature.
                  I personality don't see anything wrong with being a townie, so I don't think it's a particularly effective insult. However, you have to admit there is a certain irony when you are saying every kid has their own path in sports while at the same time other kids' paths in sports are being closely judged.

Lots of kids that are “high level” club players at 9 will quit the sport before high school. How do I know? My kid plays ECNL and this story plays out constantly. What a kid is at 9 is not what they will be at 12, or at 15, or at 17. I’ve seen many talented kids burn out due to over involved parents that pushed too hard at the young ages, and others that simply lost interest. Some great younger players continue to improve, some plateau, and some get passed by kids that were not as strong early on. The biggest thing that I would say is that keeping things fun at the younger ages should be a priority. If a kid wants to play at a high level (note—the KID needs to want this, not the parent), it will get cutthroat soon enough. No need to rush them into that stress early.
                  This is all true.

Just my two cents from experience. I’m sure someone will come back and throw some insults.
                  Okay. How about "you suck"?

Comment

Totally 100% ^^^ this!
                    I am one of the "overzealous parents" you might be referring to. Not the OP or FI. If my 9-year-old wants to play sports, I'm all for it. In fact, I encourage it. However, if she wants to play soccer I'm okay with that too, provided she is at least willing to try other stuff. What do out think would be a better approach for me?

Now as to practice schedules—our club offers the typical practices 2x a week with games on the weekend during the season, and 1x a week during the winter with possible extra sessions. During the season, any of our girls on town teams would be practicing those 2x plus whatever town practices they can make, plus town games. This is basically the same for any girls on our team or any other who play both club and town. If this isn't your experience then please let me know. My D played town because her friends are there. It isn't some ego trip for me—it's only because she wants to hang out with her friends and sorta play soccer. In fact I prefer if the practice schedule doesn't end up 5 days in a row (and I'm not averse to skipping some if it starts to feel like too much). How is this much different from many other school-age kids, especially multi-sport athletes?

Comment

Sure. Ok. Keep telling yourself that dad.
                      Whatever helps you sleep.
                      Live and learn. When she’s a teen, you’ll see.

Comment

Which parts of what I said do you believe to be untrue?

Comment

Sure. Ok. Keep telling yourself that dad.
                          Whatever helps you sleep.
                          Live and learn. When she’s a teen, you’ll see.
                          This person was obviously not an athlete growing up, nor to they have kids that are much into sports.

My kid started playing club to get more playing time. The intent was never to give up town soccer, because he wanted to play. He's U12 now and started club at u10. He still does both plus other add-ons at times such as futsal, private small group, ODP. He definitely gets burned out a bit every now and then, but we skip a few of the extras (anything but club typically) and he's back at it.

When he's not playing, he plays too much Xbox. He's not much into other sports although he has tried others. He likes to play soccer and Xbox. Nothing wrong with that.

I demand that he does something other than just Xbox and he chooses soccer. We don't live in a neighborhood, so he doesn't have an option to just go outside and play with friends on a daily basis. He's happy, that's all that matters. If he continues through HS great. If he chooses to play in college, great. If not, no big deal. He's smart and will focus on school.

Comment

How about we all stop telling people how to parent and just worry about your own kid. Trust me you are all wrong. Nobody has the perfect way to raise a kid. I have a kid about to graduate and kids still in elementary school. Lots of kids quit cause they become typical lazy teenagers that you got to fight to get them to come out of their rooms. Some kids quit cause they want to be one of the best players on their team and they’re not. Some kids quit cause their friends are on a team they didn’t make. Some kids quit cause they get out of shape and can’t do it anymore. Some kids quit cause they just want to make their parents proud and their parents don’t seem to care all that much. If you cheered your kid on to be a competitive eater they would probably get into that. Most kids want to make their parents happy. Until they suddenly want to make every decision on their own no matter how bad they are. That’s growing up. You do your parenting and I’ll do mine. We do seem though to be getting away from if you work hard at something you can achieve anything. Instead we show no accountability and blame others and tear down others if we don’t get what we want. I work hard every day to be great parent. I’m going to teach my kid to work hard too. If my kid after working hard embarrasses your kid that is not my problem.

Comment

^^ Thank you.

Comment

How about we all stop telling people how to parent and just worry about your own kid. Trust me you are all wrong. Nobody has the perfect way to raise a kid. I have a kid about to graduate and kids still in elementary school. Lots of kids quit cause they become typical lazy teenagers that you got to fight to get them to come out of their rooms. Some kids quit cause they want to be one of the best players on their team and they’re not. Some kids quit cause their friends are on a team they didn’t make. Some kids quit cause they get out of shape and can’t do it anymore. Some kids quit cause they just want to make their parents proud and their parents don’t seem to care all that much. If you cheered your kid on to be a competitive eater they would probably get into that. Most kids want to make their parents happy. Until they suddenly want to make every decision on their own no matter how bad they are. That’s growing up. You do your parenting and I’ll do mine. We do seem though to be getting away from if you work hard at something you can achieve anything. Instead we show no accountability and blame others and tear down others if we don’t get what we want. I work hard every day to be great parent. I’m going to teach my kid to work hard too. If my kid after working hard embarrasses your kid that is not my problem.

They are 9! Stop embarrassing yourselves. Soccer at 9 is not hard work.
                                Your kid can’t embarrass my kid because my kid would not get embarrassed if they lost the ball in a play or lost the game. Why would they? They are 9, they don’t care enough to be embarrassed. The only person embarrassed is the ridiculous dads who tell people not to tell them how to parent when deep inside they know they tossed out their child’s childhood to make themselves feel proud and ego bigger. Don’t worry nobody tells you how to parent. You do you. Just don’t come on these threads attaching kids, parents and teams because you’ve made your daughters “trainings “ 5-6 days a week your obsession and you call other people lazy etc. You don’t want to be judged or called out on ridiculous over training of 9 year olds, or called out when you grossly boast about 9 year old team?, but then you can come on here and Ambush every thread from RI to MA trying to build up and advertise your club? You want to put people down but can’t take the heat when it comes back. Get a life, seriously, for your kid get your own life and let princess go play.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X