Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thorns Academy Tryouts????

Are there even going to be tryouts for the Thorns Academy this year? Or is it truly over? Or maybe they're happy with picking up the left overs after the ECNL clubs take first pick??

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are there even going to be tryouts for the Thorns Academy this year? Or is it truly over? Or maybe they're happy with picking up the left overs after the ECNL clubs take first pick??
    I thought I saw something that they were also going to do U18?

Comment

I thought I saw something that they were also going to do U18?
      Have to do U18 and U16 at a very minimum if they want to even try to be relevant. It'll be a huge stretch for them to field even one team total though.

Comment

Crickets? Guess even the most ardent supporters of the Thorns Academy and Timbers domination of youth soccer have jumped ship.

Comment

Holy crickets, Batman!

Comment

Evidently the Thorns Academy is dead.

Comment

Evidently the Thorns Academy is dead.
              I don't think they'll shutter Thorns Academy just yet. There should be some tweaks and they'll give it another go this year.
              They can't do much worse with the program.
              I'm not criticizing the players - in different circumstances my DD could be one of them.
              But the planning, coaching, management and execution around the program seems to be second or third rate.
              I wouldn't buy what they're selling just yet, but there's no where to go but up from here.

Comment

We got an email last week about their camp (our daughter was ODP junior year).This is part of the email regarding the residential camp and is says they are adding U16 and U18.

The popularity of the Thorns Residential Camp continues to be at an all-time high and with the Portland Thorns adding a U16 and U18 academy team to their program next year, this camp becomes another identification opportunity for not only players looking to play in college, but players looking to play in the Thorns Academy. This camp has sold out or come close to selling out every year and we anticipate this camp to fill up fast. One of the highlights of this camp is seeing players from all over the country come to Oregon. I would say about 40 percent of the players who attend this camp are players from outside of Oregon and Washington which is an amazing experience for your players to play against different types of players.

2015 Timbers Residential Camp Dates
                July 6-9 Pacific University, Oregon

The camp itself serves as a fantastic prep camp for high school teams, ODP and RTC tryouts in August and future Timbers Academy players. Our Timbers Academy staff attends this camp every year to evaluate players for potential academy play, and with the U16 Thorns Academy being added this year, it’s one more opportunity to be seen by our staff.

Comment

We got an email last week about their camp (our daughter was ODP junior year).This is part of the email regarding the residential camp and is says they are adding U16 and U18.

The popularity of the Thorns Residential Camp continues to be at an all-time high and with the Portland Thorns adding a U16 and U18 academy team to their program next year, this camp becomes another identification opportunity for not only players looking to play in college, but players looking to play in the Thorns Academy. This camp has sold out or come close to selling out every year and we anticipate this camp to fill up fast. One of the highlights of this camp is seeing players from all over the country come to Oregon. I would say about 40 percent of the players who attend this camp are players from outside of Oregon and Washington which is an amazing experience for your players to play against different types of players.

2015 Timbers Residential Camp Dates
                  July 6-9 Pacific University, Oregon

The camp itself serves as a fantastic prep camp for high school teams, ODP and RTC tryouts in August and future Timbers Academy players. Our Timbers Academy staff attends this camp every year to evaluate players for potential academy play, and with the U16 Thorns Academy being added this year, it’s one more opportunity to be seen by our staff.
                  If this is even remotely factual, then it looks like the Thorns will miss the boat by several months. All of the ECNL tryouts will happen in May so the Thorns will be picking up the leftovers in mid-summer. But, then again, that's probably about right for a team playing in OYSA...

Comment

If this is even remotely factual, then it looks like the Thorns will miss the boat by several months. All of the ECNL tryouts will happen in May so the Thorns will be picking up the leftovers in mid-summer. But, then again, that's probably about right for a team playing in OYSA...
                    There's been a Summer camp at Pacific for a few years now - that part at least is factual. So I'd assume the part about trying to do u16, u17, and u18 is something they'll do.
                    Remember that the Thorns Academy hasn't been a planned development for girls soccer in Oregon, but it's a reaction to ECNL starting locally and the fear of losing ALL of the good players. So scheduling is not going to be on target.

Comment

There's been a Summer camp at Pacific for a few years now - that part at least is factual. So I'd assume the part about trying to do u16, u17, and u18 is something they'll do.
                      Remember that the Thorns Academy hasn't been a planned development for girls soccer in Oregon, but it's a reaction to ECNL starting locally and the fear of losing ALL of the good players. So scheduling is not going to be on target.
                      I know this isn't true because there were rumblings about the Thorns academy 4 or 5 years ago. In my opinion it is too bad that they did not get it up and running before ECNL bids were accepted.

Comment

Why should it be any different from ECNL which has only a handful of premier level players per team? Again, thanks to all of you mediocre players for keeping the costs down for us. It helps with the budget and it gives numbers for practice. We would appreciate it however if you would stop emailing the coach and posting on here about your daughter flying all the say to SD and then getting to play a grand total of 10 minutes. It was a showcase and the coach didn't want her to showcase her terrible skills, lack of athleticism and inability to make decisions. He will get her more time next weekend in Salt Lake City.

Comment

Crickets? Guess even the most ardent supporters of the Thorns Academy and Timbers domination of youth soccer have jumped ship.
                          No, your act has just gotten tiresome and ineffective. Even the ECNL crowd ignores your act. You don't have to worry about any other tryouts as you can't buy your dd's way onto other teams so you need to stick with your crossfire ECNL team where your dd is player number 22. Be happy for those five games a year she gets to play in.

Comment

No, your act has just gotten tiresome and ineffective. Even the ECNL crowd ignores your act. You don't have to worry about any other tryouts as you can't buy your dd's way onto other teams so you need to stick with your crossfire ECNL team where your dd is player number 22. Be happy for those five games a year she gets to play in.
                            You've hit the nail on the head. The whole Timbers/Thorns involvement in youth soccer has become quite tiresome. They should bail out immediately and leave well enough alone. Things were in much better shape before they got involved and will get much better much faster once they leave. Good riddance!

Comment

You've hit the nail on the head. The whole Timbers/Thorns involvement in youth soccer has become quite tiresome. They should bail out immediately and leave well enough alone. Things were in much better shape before they got involved and will get much better much faster once they leave. Good riddance!
                              Sorry that they fired you but your coaching sucks. Which explains why Fraser hired you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X