Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do We Have Good Coaches?

Does anyone else notice that many of our coaches have private training sessions on the side for $20-$30 per session? I've even seen this with ODP coaches, and it seems like the players who do the private sessions make the club teams and/or ODP. Are all of these players that good or just good enough? I've seen other kids (my kid included at times) being left off squads who sometimes are the better players. I'm an ex-college soccer player so I try to look at my kid's skill set from that competitive perspective, and he get's shafted sometimes. Fortunately, it doesn't bother him too much which makes him stronger for it. Is that the cost of privatizing coaching, compared to properly paid academy coaches?

We never experienced that. My player has done very well but never did private lessons and is always chosen. If in fact that is going on it seems like a conflict.

Comment

I have twice within the past 14 months, which is why I'm wondering.

Comment

That is too bad. It sounds like you may need to consider moving your child from that team. It is unethical don't you think?

Comment

Seems to happen

My DD's are now just gone from club soccer. Too many coaches run extra training classes for the age range they coach. Shouldn't be allowed. The worst part is they aren't that good of coaches. Their students seem to be favored.

Comment

There were probably twenty coahes at OPD tryouts, so I don't think training privately with one of them would have to great of an impact over selection. ODP coaches tend to be high quality trainers and worth $30 an hour for private sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by fchammer View Post
              Does anyone else notice that many of our coaches have private training sessions on the side for $20-$30 per session? I've even seen this with ODP coaches, and it seems like the players who do the private sessions make the club teams and/or ODP. Are all of these players that good or just good enough? I've seen other kids (my kid included at times) being left off squads who sometimes are the better players. I'm an ex-college soccer player so I try to look at my kid's skill set from that competitive perspective, and he get's shafted sometimes. Fortunately, it doesn't bother him too much which makes him stronger for it. Is that the cost of privatizing coaching, compared to properly paid academy coaches?
              No club should ever allow coaches to charge for private training with players on their team.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                There were probably twenty coahes at OPD tryouts, so I don't think training privately with one of them would have to great of an impact over selection. ODP coaches tend to be high quality trainers and worth $30 an hour for private sessions.
                If they are such high quality trainers why do they need to do private trainings? If the most talented kids are chosen they would not need private trainings.

Comment

No club should ever allow coaches to charge for private training with players on their team.
                  Agreed. You should leave that team and club if this is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by fchammer View Post

I'm not doubting you, but want to present the other side. Do you think you are being completely unbiased in your evaluations? Is your kid really getting passed over by less worthy kids? I'm not saying he isn't, just asking the question because as parents, regardless of how much someone played, you can be biased in your assessment.

I know that some kids are more skilled with the ball, but they don't impact the game as much. They dribble and dribble and "wow" the parents, but when you look beyond that, they don't necessarily impact the game nearly as much as some of our players who aren't nearly as skilled with dribbling. In an "ODP" type evaluation setting, the kid with great skills will get selected, but the kid who impacts the game is the one that many coaches would rather have. And he gets overlooked because he doesn't have the "wow" factor.

The one other thing I will add is that generally, the kids who are getting private training will tend to be better skilled. Sure they may be going to the coach for those skills, but you can't deny they have better skills, regardless of where they are getting them. After all, they are getting an extra hour or two of work every week over and above what is going on in practice. Over time, that pays off.

Comment

If they are such high quality trainers why do they need to do private trainings? If the most talented kids are chosen they would not need private trainings.
                      Wrong. The coach chooses the most talented of WHO shows up. It's all relative, not absolute. You might have 5 who are super talented and the other 28 who show up for tryouts who are all "meh". And practice isn't for skills, it's for getting the team to play together. Skills training needs to be done on your own.

Comment

Not really.

I'm not doubting you, but want to present the other side. Do you think you are being completely unbiased in your evaluations? Is your kid really getting passed over by less worthy kids? I'm not saying he isn't, just asking the question because as parents, regardless of how much someone played, you can be biased in your assessment.

I know that some kids are more skilled with the ball, but they don't impact the game as much. They dribble and dribble and "wow" the parents, but when you look beyond that, they don't necessarily impact the game nearly as much as some of our players who aren't nearly as skilled with dribbling. In an "ODP" type evaluation setting, the kid with great skills will get selected, but the kid who impacts the game is the one that many coaches would rather have. And he gets overlooked because he doesn't have the "wow" factor.

The one other thing I will add is that generally, the kids who are getting private training will tend to be better skilled. Sure they may be going to the coach for those skills, but you can't deny they have better skills, regardless of where they are getting them. After all, they are getting an extra hour or two of work every week over and above what is going on in practice. Over time, that pays off.
                        Most players that get extra training did so because they were less skilled as players than the rest of their team. They ride the bench during games. They are trying to catch up. They certainly don't magically become the best players. Nice try, but not true in the real world.

Comment

Most players that get extra training did so because they were less skilled as players than the rest of their team. They ride the bench during games. They are trying to catch up. They certainly don't magically become the best players. Nice try, but not true in the real world.
                          So extra training means worse players? What is this, bizzaro soccer world? That means the best players are the ones that sit on their ass and play video games on their off time. Clearly you are just whining to whine. Sounds as if your kid didn't get chosen because they aren't any good and you are looking for an excuse.

Comment

The idea of whether we have good coaches or not is interesting because it depends on what you consider a good coach. Personally I like to think a coach who develops his/her players and does it in a fun environment is a good coach. But it really is hard to judge. I've seen very good coaches who are bad at dealing with parents being called bad coaches by parents, but those same parents call a terrible technical coach a great coach because he knew how to deal with the parents.

From my experience the majority of parents tend to call a coach a good coach if the year goes smoothly, the coach communicates a lot with the parents, their team wins, and their kid plays a lot. Notice no where in there do I even mention how much their kid develops because as much as most parents say that's important, the things listed above seem to trump that.

Comment

My son goes to private trainings too, it definitely helps because he plays on one of the premier oysa teams. We use a couple of different ex-players that are outside of his club and ODP. I have seen some very good coaches involved in the ODP program, by the way. He's met new friends in RTC/ODP which has made him want to consider playing at different clubs.
                              Last edited by fchammer; 04-10-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X