soccer and basketball in high school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You misunderstand. Of course the club soccer or cllub basketball star makes the varsity team in that sport in HS. I think what the OP is saying, is that that player is often on the JV team of their 2nd sport but loves to play...but is , sadly, pressured to play only his main sport because of time, coaches, and other pressures. Sad for the kids. There were many more multi sport athletes when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You misunderstand. Of course the club soccer or cllub basketball star makes the varsity team in that sport in HS. I think what the OP is saying, is that that player is often on the JV team of their 2nd sport but loves to play...but is , sadly, pressured to play only his main sport because of time, coaches, and other pressures. Sad for the kids. There were many more multi sport athletes when I was a kid.
      And most of them weren't very good.

Comment

Follow up

My dd plays club soccer...she has for 5 yrs now. About to enter HS this fall. We have already rec'd the 'suggested' HS training schedule/workouts for this summer. She will continue to play a couple of summer tournaments with her club team but start to transition to her HS team. Her goal, as a freshman, is to make the JV team. She knows she is not fast enough to make the Varsity, as a freshman, but she has the footwork/skills to at least make JV.

Her first love is definitely soccer. She has also played basketball over the past 3-4 years, at the club level. She is NOT the best player, by any stretch, but she plays and has a good understanding of the game and has a good outside shot. I feel that both sports have helped her. She LOVES her basketball teammates (maybe because there are only 8-9 and they bond much more quickly)---her soccer team carries 16-18 girls. Not easy to bond with that many girls and frankly, there are a couple that just are not her type/personality type. That's life.

We have always had MORE issues with the soccer coach than the basketball coach. Basketball coach says my practices are three nights per week, 4:30-6:30 PM. You come to practice, you will play in the games.

Soccer coach is ALL over the board---has to struggle with weather in the winter (too cold, practices are canceled, too wet, practices are canceled, holidays, same, canceled)----so, she played basketball from mid Nov until end of Feb. Never missed 1 practice and played most of the season as the 7th or 8th girl, off the bench. Not a starter but played some significant minutes.

Soccer coach says "you don't come to practice, you can't play in the games"---we say fine...Nothing happens for her team from mid Nov until spring league starts in early Feb. She is still getting a cardio workout, getting a sweat, three nights per week, and having fun.

End of the day---we left it up to her. Do you want to play both? Yes. She thinks she can make JV soccer and at least JV basketball, as a freshman. Is she a superstar? Heck no---not by any stretch. She is having fun, making some great friends, and staying in shape and out of trouble. Barely has time for homework and it's bed time. No time at all for boys. Biggest life lesson: Let them be kids and let them enjoy the sports for THEIR own reasons and THEIR own enjoyment.

Coaches will moan all they want, for their own selfish reasons, but she is a good enough athlete that she can play and do both, at a somewhat high level, and not be a detriment.

Comment

My dd plays club soccer...she has for 5 yrs now. About to enter HS this fall. We have already rec'd the 'suggested' HS training schedule/workouts for this summer. She will continue to play a couple of summer tournaments with her club team but start to transition to her HS team. Her goal, as a freshman, is to make the JV team. She knows she is not fast enough to make the Varsity, as a freshman, but she has the footwork/skills to at least make JV.

Her first love is definitely soccer. She has also played basketball over the past 3-4 years, at the club level. She is NOT the best player, by any stretch, but she plays and has a good understanding of the game and has a good outside shot. I feel that both sports have helped her. She LOVES her basketball teammates (maybe because there are only 8-9 and they bond much more quickly)---her soccer team carries 16-18 girls. Not easy to bond with that many girls and frankly, there are a couple that just are not her type/personality type. That's life.

We have always had MORE issues with the soccer coach than the basketball coach. Basketball coach says my practices are three nights per week, 4:30-6:30 PM. You come to practice, you will play in the games.

Soccer coach is ALL over the board---has to struggle with weather in the winter (too cold, practices are canceled, too wet, practices are canceled, holidays, same, canceled)----so, she played basketball from mid Nov until end of Feb. Never missed 1 practice and played most of the season as the 7th or 8th girl, off the bench. Not a starter but played some significant minutes.

Soccer coach says "you don't come to practice, you can't play in the games"---we say fine...Nothing happens for her team from mid Nov until spring league starts in early Feb. She is still getting a cardio workout, getting a sweat, three nights per week, and having fun.

End of the day---we left it up to her. Do you want to play both? Yes. She thinks she can make JV soccer and at least JV basketball, as a freshman. Is she a superstar? Heck no---not by any stretch. She is having fun, making some great friends, and staying in shape and out of trouble. Barely has time for homework and it's bed time. No time at all for boys. Biggest life lesson: Let them be kids and let them enjoy the sports for THEIR own reasons and THEIR own enjoyment.

Coaches will moan all they want, for their own selfish reasons, but she is a good enough athlete that she can play and do both, at a somewhat high level, and not be a detriment.
          This is where it is totally appropriate, and she will decide once HS starts if she can juggle it and is still enjoying it. Where I think it becomes a bigger issue is when soccer does not take a break in the Winter. My dd had New Years weekend off! No joke. So then basketball once HS started was left behind. She just felt like it was too much to juggle and made the decision herself. She did the summer open gyms for basketball and summer league but once HS soccer was over and club was in full swing she decided not too. She is now older and doesn't regret it because soccer is going really well.

My advice is take it one year and one season at a time, it sounds like she is doing just fine so far.

Comment

This is where it is totally appropriate, and she will decide once HS starts if she can juggle it and is still enjoying it. Where I think it becomes a bigger issue is when soccer does not take a break in the Winter. My dd had New Years weekend off! No joke. So then basketball once HS started was left behind. She just felt like it was too much to juggle and made the decision herself. She did the summer open gyms for basketball and summer league but once HS soccer was over and club was in full swing she decided not too. She is now older and doesn't regret it because soccer is going really well.

My advice is take it one year and one season at a time, it sounds like she is doing just fine so far.
            Isn't club soccer season during Nov Dec Jan Feb for u15+?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X