Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better, ECNL or Thorns Academy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is better, ECNL or Thorns Academy?

Only thoughtful responses please. Really trying to move in the right direction. Thank you.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only thoughtful responses please. Really trying to move in the right direction. Thank you.
    If your DD wants to play college soccer, but you don't want to waste 30-50 G's go with Thorns.

Comment

If your DD wants to play college soccer, but you don't want to waste 30-50 G's go with Thorns.
      All college coaches scout OYSA...

Comment

I think it is really up to the family. Time commitment, level of desire to focus on just soccer, goals for post high school soccer, and of course amount of disposable income available for extracurricular activities.

I don't think there is a right or a wrong choice, just what is a good fit for the athlete and her family.

Everyone in this forum wants there to be one answer, I think there are many options for girls who play soccer and that is a really good thing.

Comment

ECNL is great if your daughter is a top tier or even the middle of the pack. If your daughter is a reserve coming off the bench infrequently then it is tough to swallow. ECNL is expensive because of the travel. The competition you play is certainly far greater than what you would face in OR or FWRL. The college exposure is certainly significantly greater in ECNL than any other option.

Comment

I could pay for college with that kind of money. Or at least 1/2.

Comment

I could pay for college with that kind of money. Or at least 1/2.
              The numbers on here are inflated. I am not saying it is cheap, it isn't, but the estimates on both ECNL team websites are more accurate. It does not cost $10,000 a year.

As a parent of an Onyx player, we were already paying close to what we are paying now. U16 and U17 are the most expensive years due to more travel. We will end up at about $7,400 this year (U16), all tickets are paid and travel costs already estimated. We ended up paying about $6,000, maybe $6,500 last year. that was with no ECNL.

U14, U15 and U18 should be less as they go to less showcases.

My point is, if you are on a team that travels anyway, the costs are going to be there. If you just stay local, with maybe one showcase, then it is going to be closer to what the Thorns is costing. It is really up to the family. Soccer isn't free, it is just a matter of deciding what value you are getting for what you are paying.

Comment

ECNL rules. So suck it.

Comment

ECNL rules. So suck it.
                  How embarrassing to all who support ENCL.

Comment

ECNL is great if your daughter is a top tier or even the middle of the pack. If your daughter is a reserve coming off the bench infrequently then it is tough to swallow. ECNL is expensive because of the travel. The competition you play is certainly far greater than what you would face in OR or FWRL. The college exposure is certainly significantly greater in ECNL than any other option.
                    Actually the competition is pretty awful this year. Just check. Playing rcl in Washington is better competition than flying to Utah to play a team that can't score any goals. Or worse flying to play a team from Portland that isn't even the best in oregon.

Comment

I have some familiarity with both ECNL and the Thorns and can say both have had their hiccups this year. But note, it is the first year for both, so that can be expected, at least locally. I expect many changes for both next year and that those changes will be for the better. I do expect the girls in Oregon to benefit from both of these programs, as will the parents. I do recommend that the parents ask lots of questions of coaches as to their view of their daughter. It's important that players and parents have a realistic view of the capabilities of their dd. We look through rose colored glasses which are not always accurate.

Comment

Good Read

http://www.thebentmusket.com/2015/3/...outh-financial

Comment

Actually the competition is pretty awful this year. Just check. Playing rcl in Washington is better competition than flying to Utah to play a team that can't score any goals. Or worse flying to play a team from Portland that isn't even the best in oregon.
                          Yeah, those OYSA rec+ teams are extremely tough. Even better than the Thorns Academy, which we all know is the pinnacle of girls youth soccer nationwide.

Comment

Yeah, those OYSA rec+ teams are extremely tough. Even better than the Thorns Academy, which we all know is the pinnacle of girls youth soccer nationwide.
                            Thanks for bringing in your rancor to this thread Angry ECNL Poster. It's great that you have to take pot shots without looking accurately at your own program. You can't say that ECNL competition has been completely great, in fact more of it has been putrid (and I've spoken with ECNL parents who are pretty disappointed in it). But recall ECNL promoted itself as having this great competition. That was one of the "draws" given the cost. Fly to Orlando or Phoenix and play top teams, and I won't even mention Dallas where you got to meet and greet other teams. Those top teams were there, but playing other top teams. The Thorns didn't advertise that they would be out playing these great teams from across the country as a draw. In fact, they were pretty upfront about plaing FWRL and OYSA and let parents decide. ECNL is the group that false advertised. Bait an switch. So many ECNL parents get that. Too bad you don't.

Comment

Thanks for bringing in your rancor to this thread Angry ECNL Poster. It's great that you have to take pot shots without looking accurately at your own program. You can't say that ECNL competition has been completely great, in fact more of it has been putrid (and I've spoken with ECNL parents who are pretty disappointed in it). But recall ECNL promoted itself as having this great competition. That was one of the "draws" given the cost. Fly to Orlando or Phoenix and play top teams, and I won't even mention Dallas where you got to meet and greet other teams. Those top teams were there, but playing other top teams. The Thorns didn't advertise that they would be out playing these great teams from across the country as a draw. In fact, they were pretty upfront about plaing FWRL and OYSA and let parents decide. ECNL is the group that false advertised. Bait an switch. So many ECNL parents get that. Too bad you don't.
                              Thanks fro your continued useless BS input, TA lemming caveman. Good to know you're still out there in the wilderness that is OYSA/TA soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X