X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Enemy of Excellence in Youth Sports

http://changingthegameproject.com/th...-youth-sports/

A good read on what parents and coaches can do to get out of the self destructive cycle.

I like this part:
    Parents:
    Start educating yourselves on the organizations you are a part of, and the science of athletic development, performance, and child psychology (click here to grab my eBook on this topic). So many parents are allowing their kids to be short changed, led by lousy role models, and even bullied, in order to win a $10 trophy or two.

Start letting your kids compete with other kids like you used to as a child, and stop competing with other adults though your kids (and posting the results on Facebook and Instagram).

Stop worrying about winning and find better ways to measure the success of your child’s sports program!

Please demand that your schools and youth sports clubs hire transformational coaches who value your child and treat him or her with the respect and dignity they deserve in victory and defeat, and then support those coaches!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    http://changingthegameproject.com/th...-youth-sports/

A good read on what parents and coaches can do to get out of the self destructive cycle.

I like this part:
    Parents:
    Start educating yourselves on the organizations you are a part of, and the science of athletic development, performance, and child psychology (click here to grab my eBook on this topic). So many parents are allowing their kids to be short changed, led by lousy role models, and even bullied, in order to win a $10 trophy or two.

Start letting your kids compete with other kids like you used to as a child, and stop competing with other adults though your kids (and posting the results on Facebook and Instagram).

Stop worrying about winning and find better ways to measure the success of your child’s sports program!

Please demand that your schools and youth sports clubs hire transformational coaches who value your child and treat him or her with the respect and dignity they deserve in victory and defeat, and then support those coaches!
    Worst part about youth sports......ADULTS!

Comment

agreed

Comment

Are there any oregon clubs that get this right? Our DKs are at a well respected club, but we still struggle not to get caught up in this. All the clubs talk about possession and player development. How many clubs have a plan?

Comment

Are there any oregon clubs that get this right? Our DKs are at a well respected club, but we still struggle not to get caught up in this. All the clubs talk about possession and player development. How many clubs have a plan?
          Read through some of these threads. Parents are at war with one another using their children and how they "rank" in soccer

Coaches are selling products that are ridiculous for the level of the child with no remorse. I think possession and player development are great but much of that is simply playing and having fun at an earlier age.

Comment

Pick the closest club to your home. When they are teens and you know they are going to keep playing, then move to a club that has premier teams if your kid is at that level. No need to drive many miles at young ages. Just an opinion.

Comment

http://changingthegameproject.com/ou...c-achievement/

Comment

Pick the closest club to your home. When they are teens and you know they are going to keep playing, then move to a club that has premier teams if your kid is at that level. No need to drive many miles at young ages. Just an opinion.
                really. do this. (i'm a coach, i played in college.) you'll know if your kid is better than everyone else, because you'll get invited to play for other teams.

Comment

Oregon clubs are going in the wrong direction. They are using misleading tactics to line their pocketbooks and to stoke their egos. They will sell high level play to anyone who will buy it....

Comment

Not the worst part.

Worst part about youth sports......ADULTS!
                    The worst part are coaches that can persuade gullible parents that they know what is best when they are youth coaches mainly because they haven't the ability to coach in college or the professional ranks.

Comment

The worst part are coaches that can persuade gullible parents that they know what is best when they are youth coaches mainly because they haven't the ability to coach in college or the professional ranks.
                      I'm not arguing your point other than the part about them not being able to coach college or professional and that is why they coach youth sports. In some parts of the country, maybe not Oregon, the HS football coach makes significant money. I also know of club soccer coaches who bring down $125,000 or more a year. The head of the Dallas Texans was profiled in the news a few years back and he makes $500,000 a year (now he runs one of the most successful soccer clubs in America but still). If I'm making 6 figures coaching club ball, I'm probably making more than many college coaches.

Comment

You are correct.

I'm not arguing your point other than the part about them not being able to coach college or professional and that is why they coach youth sports. In some parts of the country, maybe not Oregon, the HS football coach makes significant money. I also know of club soccer coaches who bring down $125,000 or more a year. The head of the Dallas Texans was profiled in the news a few years back and he makes $500,000 a year (now he runs one of the most successful soccer clubs in America but still). If I'm making 6 figures coaching club ball, I'm probably making more than many college coaches.
                        Some club coaches earn a good income. But they are the top 10%, not the other 90% that are not DOCs or full time. This 10% may make as much as some college coaches, but certainly not top D-1 coaches at good programs.

Comment

One other thing

I will add to this list of worsts is the "production" attitude every seems to chase. A club does not PRODUCE an elite player, they provide an atmosphere where players can grow.

Clubs are not machines that pump out elite player after elite player. A better comparison for clubs than manufacturing is farming. Clubs are the rich s#!t that the seeds of a young player can mature in.

It sounds like a superficial difference, except a manufacturing process assumes one after another coming off the line, a farming process acknowledges that it is still the strong plant that will grow.

Comment

I will add to this list of worsts is the "production" attitude every seems to chase. A club does not PRODUCE an elite player, they provide an atmosphere where players can grow.

Clubs are not machines that pump out elite player after elite player. A better comparison for clubs than manufacturing is farming. Clubs are the rich s#!t that the seeds of a young player can mature in.

It sounds like a superficial difference, except a manufacturing process assumes one after another coming off the line, a farming process acknowledges that it is still the strong plant that will grow.
                            I couldn't agree more!

Comment

Yep, totally agree! This is why younger players that show promise move to clubs where they perceive they can progress. That club did not "make" them but brought them together with other players and gave them the structure and guidance to be the best player they can be. There are other players that show the same promise at 10, 11, 13 and do not have the benefit of that type of environment and then conversely do not get better as they get older.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X