X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    invest 30k for a 30-50k scholarship?

invest more time in academics and most of the money for school is covered. Soccer is the extra.

Invest 12k into soccer and the other 28k into a mutual fund and you'll do much better than a soccer scholarship.

There's more than one way to skin a cat
    Maybe for some your number is correct. Our daughter has received a scholarship worth in excess of 180,000.00. Yes it is a private college never the less it is what she will receive over four years. All just to be a soccer player at college. I would think all total that we will have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000.00 Plus on her soccer as a youth player. If you have a quality player it's not to much to pay for ECNL. You will get a return on your investment. Yes there are other ways to afford college, a mutual fund being one of them ( good on you for that ) but there is a life experience that goes with being an elite soccer player that you can't get from a mutual fund. ECNL will not be for everyone but for some it is perfect. Letting the individual families decide which is best for them is in order at this time.

Comment

Many people would not agree with me? I can tell you I have more experience than you do in this area and just because this is your first go at things doesn't mean you get to ignorantly speaking without any support. My kid is going d1 without ecnl and I've seen how this process works, talked to coaches who came to see my kid after one lousy showcase tournament.

And supporting my daughters ability is simply just letting her commit to the game without me playing it for her (YOU) and know I have an experienced coach to make sure she gets the right advice.

You need this. I get it. But don't be surprised when you look back at all of this and say. *** was I thinking.
      Did you just say you have more experience than another anonymous person on the internet? You bought yourself zero credibility champ!

Comment

There is a lot of ignorant people out there. Clearly there are some who will say ecnl gets you a brand new coach, scholarship, and skills just by joining on and will say anything to get you to feel like its worth the ridiculous cost.

There is also a lot of ignorant people who don't think ecnl needs to be here and will say anything hope that it fails.

Facts are facts.

Ecnl costs do not make any sense if you are riding on a college scholarship. Might as well play the lotto.

Ecnl "experience" is better than the status quotient right now. And don't try to argue that.

Development wise, you can't make a claim for either side because there are good players from either side getting forward and bad players from either side getting ignored.

You don't need ecnl to get seen. You actually don't need a top club team to be seen. I

If you want to play at a school, go to a tournament they are at or go to their id camp. If that doesn't work, doing ecnl won't help and all your doing is fooling yourself.

If our club doesn't have what we need when my dd gets to 16 or 17, we ll go find a club that does ecnl or not. Until then, I'm not going to be part of an expensive experiment because a few crazy parents I know think this will make their kids dreams come true.
        Thank you for a honest response. What is funny is that FC Portland was getting a lot of players on to good schools. Now they will do the same thing yet make it cost 4x as much.

Doesn't make a lot of sense. I see the league is better but everything else is negligible considering you could charge half that and go to 4 top tournaments and get equal competition as well as attract a bigger pool of players.

Comment

Everyone is free to stay home and play locally. Soccer should be fun! Do what you want. Many people want to push themselves to the next level. ECNL is that level.

It's your choice.

Comment

Maybe for some your number is correct. Our daughter has received a scholarship worth in excess of 180,000.00. Yes it is a private college never the less it is what she will receive over four years. All just to be a soccer player at college. I would think all total that we will have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 40,000.00 Plus on her soccer as a youth player. If you have a quality player it's not to much to pay for ECNL. You will get a return on your investment. Yes there are other ways to afford college, a mutual fund being one of them ( good on you for that ) but there is a life experience that goes with being an elite soccer player that you can't get from a mutual fund. ECNL will not be for everyone but for some it is perfect. Letting the individual families decide which is best for them is in order at this time.
            There will be no more than 6-8 d1 players from this area in each graduating year.. Some will pay 40,000 and stupidly say its a good investment. Others will spend 10k and laugh at someone like you who doesn't realize that if your kid got a few more B s in school they wouldn't give a crap about her soccer ability.

Comment

Elite...Hahahahahahahahhahaah.

People so say anything . Like the parent who said because it says elite in title means you are an elite player. So funny!

Be honest at least. There are some pretty bad ecnl players and teams and you need to yoke yourself with them which is probably more accurate considering this state rather than yoking yourself with SoCal players.

My kid played in 4 tournaments with SoCal teams that were real good and said ecnl on their name. Does that mean my kid is elite too?

There something about being a elite parent who lives through their kid to make up for their life. Hate to think what the kids goes through to match their parents ego.

You all know the parents I'm talking about.

Comment

IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT COST, JUST DON'T DO IT.

Everything is going to cost more than the official quote from the club. It always does with everything soccer related. That's ok. If you are really worried about another $2000 out of your budget, you are probably pushing the limits of your capacity. There are lots of good opportunities that cost 1/10th the price.

Last year, my son's team won OYSA state cup and next thing you know we are booking airfare and hotel for a week for regionals. There was $6000 that we didn't budget for. But that was ok, because it was totally worth it.
                If regionals = Hawaii. Airfare was $1400 for three people. Condo for eight days was $5600 split two ways, only $2800. Hotel share for my player $700 (room was $2800 split four ways). Food and other costs was about $1500. So more like $6,400.

Great trip though.

Comment

People so say anything . Like the parent who said because it says elite in title means you are an elite player. So funny!

Be honest at least. There are some pretty bad ecnl players and teams and you need to yoke yourself with them which is probably more accurate considering this state rather than yoking yourself with SoCal players.

My kid played in 4 tournaments with SoCal teams that were real good and said ecnl on their name. Does that mean my kid is elite too?

There something about being a elite parent who lives through their kid to make up for their life. Hate to think what the kids goes through to match their parents ego.

+1

My older made a national pool. But we aren't doing ecnl......

Damn it! I guess this means they aren't an elite player and I'm not an elite parent!

I wish they changed our club name or at least put elite in front of it so my kid can be considered elite .

Comment

I'm a Thusc parent and I know there will be scholarship money available for ECNL players. Our second and third team will help fund it as well as our boys teams. We are already getting a lot of interest from everyone. If players don't make the ECNL team they will be placed on our lower teams, with a promise that they'll get to train against our top notch players. As long as they pay their fees our lower tiered players will not only help fund our ECNL teams, but they will be promised a possible future spot on ECNL teams, as well as getting to train weekly against the very best in the state.

Comment

There will be no more than 6-8 d1 players from this area in each graduating year.. Some will pay 40,000 and stupidly say its a good investment. Others will spend 10k and laugh at someone like you who doesn't realize that if your kid got a few more B s in school they wouldn't give a crap about her soccer ability.
                      First off there is no possible way for an elite player to only spend 10k over a youth carrier no matter where they play. Even an average player on a club team cannot spend less than 4k a year during her high school years. Ecnl is more $ but not by much if you are currently playing for a top club traveling and doing show case tournaments. You have discredited yourself.

Comment

I'm a Thusc parent and I know there will be scholarship money available for ECNL players. Our second and third team will help fund it as well as our boys teams. We are already getting a lot of interest from everyone. If players don't make the ECNL team they will be placed on our lower teams, with a promise that they'll get to train against our top notch players. As long as they pay their fees our lower tiered players will not only help fund our ECNL teams, but they will be promised a possible future spot on ECNL teams, as well as getting to train weekly against the very best in the state.
                        Go away you lying piece of *****.

It is clear there are a lot of clubs worked up over this. ECNL is here. It's your choice to participate or not.

Comment

You sound like gw now.

Comment

I would think an elite player would be one that is getting a substantial scholarship

Comment

You sound like gw now.
                              Or Cony!

Comment

You are stating the obvious. All clubs do this, no news here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X