Do We Have Good Coaches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, $20 is a pretty awesome rate for a trainer. Most seem to cost $40-$60 an hour.

Good players use private trainers, bad players use private trainers, and phenomenal players have private trainers too. Are they necessary? Not for everybody, but they are definitely helpful.

My daughter has been with a few different private trainers. At first, we started to get her a spot on the top team, then we kept it going to get her a spot on the field. Now that she is a starter, we continue the training to help her keep her spot and reach for the next level.

She wants to be the best - the best on her team, the best on the field, and the best in her age bracket. I can't teach her these things, and her regular coach, despite their credentials, can't do it all during a regular team training. My daughter likes the one-on-one time where the focus is all her, where she can truly work on the mechanics and fine-tune "the machine."

Will she play for the USWNT? Ummmmm...... I don't want to tell her "no." will she play in high school and college - if she continues to have the drive, then yes.

If she changes her mind and switches over to water polo, then I will consider her time on the field as a good experience none-the-less, because for now, it has been fun, and it gives her a reason to get her homework done and stay out of trouble.

Comment

Really ???

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So extra training means worse players? What is this, bizzaro soccer world? That means the best players are the ones that sit on their ass and play video games on their off time. Clearly you are just whining to whine. Sounds as if your kid didn't get chosen because they aren't any good and you are looking for an excuse.
      Can you not read and comprehend? Extra training most often is done by players because they are behind in overall development as compared to players on the rest of the team. Simple concept. No one is whining except you. My DD's are just fine. What has this to do with their soccer careers? Nothing, but you are simply not aware of the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Can you not read and comprehend? Extra training most often is done by players because they are behind in overall development as compared to players on the rest of the team. Simple concept. No one is whining except you. My DD's are just fine. What has this to do with their soccer careers? Nothing, but you are simply not aware of the real world.
        You are not very smart so you make up for it by being really really upset.

Comment

We keep the private training sessions down to 6 or 7 times a year. Mostly, I kick around with him and we juggle back and forth. Some players train too much, then they aren't fresh and urging to play. There's a fine line with training, players really need to enjoy playing the game to become really good.

Comment

Originally posted by fchammer View Post
            We keep the private training sessions down to 6 or 7 times a year. Mostly, I kick around with him and we juggle back and forth. Some players train too much, then they aren't fresh and urging to play. There's a fine line with training, players really need to enjoy playing the game to become really good.
            That's true. They have to enjoy it if they want to improve, it must be from within. Although I know that at the younger ages parental urging is helpful. Our trainer told us "you need to push them up to the point that they are willing to take the wheel on their own". I wish we lived near him still as he was really good. I bought some cones and my kids go out on their own fairly frequently and do the cone work he used to put them through (tick tocks, sole roll pops, tippy toe pushes, tippy toe pulls, ....). I can tell when they haven't done them in a while as their control during a game isn't as solid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X