Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thank you. Yes, we would have preferred hearing talk about NESCAC coaches! I am the OP and see nothing wrong with doing homework about coaches and their respective programs. Of course the academics come first! If my kid can get in and play at three NESCAC schools, and at least one NEWMAC school, why criticize that we are researching coaches? We hear about the screwball coaches all the time and would not want to play for one.
    D3 soccer is still a part of the overall college experience, and regardless of it's level of importance in the grand picture of higher education, it is still a piece that you may have some control over when making a college choice.
    For example, Williams is a great school, and to our knowledge, has a good program with a good coach and staff. To the contrary, Colby has a poor program, has struggled for years behind the same coach of 20 years. Most other teams are somewhere in the middle, and some are consistently on top. Some have new coaches, like Conn, and there is good chatter about him. We have heard negative talk about Whiting at Tufts, and mixed on some others.
    Just looking for a few opinions, and many of you out there have one on these programs and coaches. I'm one of you, and just looking for opinions to help my kid out. Muchas gracias
    If you really want to analyze the soccer situation at a school, forget looking at the coach. Coaches have no real power over the players on a D3 level team. If you want to figure out the soccer situation first look at the rosters to figure who is going to be on the team and what level player they are. If the roster is weak then you can almost guarantee that the situation will be highly flexible and perhaps not to your daughter's liking. If the roster passes muster, then have your daughter spend some time with the women on the team during a couple of overnights to figure out if she likes them and fits with them. Women's teams are very cliquish and they will have way more of an impact on your daughter's soccer experience than the coach ever will. The leadership in that group will dictate how serious the team is or whether it is more of a social group. A D3 coach doesn't really have the power to legislate that, the captains and upper class are the ones who actually convince the team to stay focused on soccer. Figuring how your daughter might mesh with them is going to be far more productive than trying to figure out what the coach is like.

Comment

Actually the Trinity coach told the former NESCAC Freshman player of the year that she couldn't join a sorority. Then when she pushed back and the AD got involved (this is not a not a Trinity policy), the coaches made it clear that she would be cut if she came out for the team and did not give up the sorority - she moved on and Trinity is having a tough year this year. Not just the loss of one player, but the overall atmosphere.

Speaking of which, another thing to look at is attrition. How many kids quit before Jr or SR year.
      That kid had it right didn't she? The coach is the one that seems to have things out of whack.

Comment

Actually the Trinity coach told the former NESCAC Freshman player of the year that she couldn't join a sorority. Then when she pushed back and the AD got involved (this is not a not a Trinity policy), the coaches made it clear that she would be cut if she came out for the team and did not give up the sorority - she moved on and Trinity is having a tough year this year. Not just the loss of one player, but the overall atmosphere.

Speaking of which, another thing to look at is attrition. How many kids quit before Jr or SR year.
        Perfect example of why the D3 coaches don't typically exert much power. If they come on too strong, the player just quits the team and then everyone suffers. D3 soccer is about making common sense compromises and when soccer becomes too big of a priority it causes problems.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it. What is so horrible about belonging to a Sorority?

Comment

That kid had it right didn't she? The coach is the one that seems to have things out of whack.
            Yes she did, which is why you wouldn't want to cross Trinity off your list just for soccer. You pick a D3 school when you want to go to school and have a life. If the coach is trying to take those away from you, you quite the team. At the D1 level when you quit the team that usually means that you also leave the school. That is not the case at the D3 level. Big difference.

Comment

Attrition is not exactly a barometer to how how the team/players view the coach, or how the coach recruits. Most times the issue isn't the coach, but the players team mates and most likely the players in the same graduating class. Really depends on the group, and how the personalities mesh. Can the few at the top, keep the rest motivated while riding the bench and not playing. One bad apple, or one who loves drama, will kill a class faster than a bad coach. I have found that to be more of a factor in attrition, than anything else. The other big one is coaches not getting to know the players well during the recruiting process, or doing the background check with coaches, guidance councelors, team mates, opposing coaches. If every year the combined Jr and Sr class is the same number, or less as the freshmen class, you most likely have an issue.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get it. What is so horrible about belonging to a Sorority?
                My bet is it has to do with drinking. That is an issue all college athletes have to face regardless of the level. At the D3 level it is more of an honor code type of thing where rules are self imposed by the team and peer pressure is used to keep the players in line. At the D1 level they use drug testing to do this.

Comment

Not to derail from the women's conversation, but does anyone know how the new colby men's coach is doing with recruiting? He's done an impressive job organizing the inherited team.

Comment

Attrition is not exactly a barometer to how how the team/players view the coach, or how the coach recruits. Most times the issue isn't the coach, but the players team mates and most likely the players in the same graduating class. Really depends on the group, and how the personalities mesh. Can the few at the top, keep the rest motivated while riding the bench and not playing. One bad apple, or one who loves drama, will kill a class faster than a bad coach. I have found that to be more of a factor in attrition, than anything else. The other big one is coaches not getting to know the players well during the recruiting process, or doing the background check with coaches, guidance councelors, team mates, opposing coaches. If every year the combined Jr and Sr class is the same number, or less as the freshmen class, you most likely have an issue.
                    I would say that excessive attrition in any year is the real issue. If there is a revolving door does it really matter when it occurs.

Comment

Not to derail from the women's conversation, but does anyone know how the new colby men's coach is doing with recruiting? He's done an impressive job organizing the inherited team.
                      What is recruiting at this level? Think you will find that a lot of coaches can "sell" a short term vision but it is really hard to sustain any sort of competitive recruiting spin at the D3 level. Players come to the schools to go to school because there is no other inducement available. That freedom of choice means over the course of time the talent level will fluctuate. A new coach might may a big splash for a year or two but you'll need to evaluate things 10 years down the road to know whether or not they have been able to make any cultural changes.

Comment

If you really want to analyze the soccer situation at a school, forget looking at the coach. Coaches have no real power over the players on a D3 level team. If you want to figure out the soccer situation first look at the rosters to figure who is going to be on the team and what level player they are. If the roster is weak then you can almost guarantee that the situation will be highly flexible and perhaps not to your daughter's liking. If the roster passes muster, then have your daughter spend some time with the women on the team during a couple of overnights to figure out if she likes them and fits with them. Women's teams are very cliquish and they will have way more of an impact on your daughter's soccer experience than the coach ever will. The leadership in that group will dictate how serious the team is or whether it is more of a social group. A D3 coach doesn't really have the power to legislate that, the captains and upper class are the ones who actually convince the team to stay focused on soccer. Figuring how your daughter might mesh with them is going to be far more productive than trying to figure out what the coach is like.
                        I respectfully disagree with you. I think, and have seen first hand, how a coach can influence a Div 3 team in a positive way. The scenario you describe is real, and happens at a lot of D3/part time coach schools. I will not argue that, but I've seen strong D3 coaches motivate the Student/Athletes on and off the field, with constant team building, and a genuine interest in the players studies and soccer development. The good ones, at the D3 level find away to connect the student and athlete side in a way that benefits the individual and the team, and all while having complete control of the team. There are some really good coaches, who happen to believe in the D3 mission, and have found a way to keep/graduate players, and play good ball, all while respecting their team mates. It can be done, but you have to do some homework. The leadership at the top usually filters down, good and bad!

Comment

I would say that excessive attrition in any year is the real issue. If there is a revolving door does it really matter when it occurs.
                          Absolutely it is something to consider. If many bail out by junior year that's a red flag (some is normal).

Also, while the demands of D3 are less than D1 it is still quite demanding. It is a significant time and energy commitment so you better like the coach and your teammates. Ask to do an overnight with a potential teammate (or at a minimum have a meal with some of them), even attend a game or practice so you can observe the level of play. When my son was looking the schools all offered that.

Comment

I respectfully disagree with you. I think, and have seen first hand, how a coach can influence a Div 3 team in a positive way. The scenario you describe is real, and happens at a lot of D3/part time coach schools. I will not argue that, but I've seen strong D3 coaches motivate the Student/Athletes on and off the field, with constant team building, and a genuine interest in the players studies and soccer development. The good ones, at the D3 level find away to connect the student and athlete side in a way that benefits the individual and the team, and all while having complete control of the team. There are some really good coaches, who happen to believe in the D3 mission, and have found a way to keep/graduate players, and play good ball, all while respecting their team mates. It can be done, but you have to do some homework. The leadership at the top usually filters down, good and bad!
                            Glad that you have had such a great experience with a gem. We have had experience wth a coach that is the antithesis of the one you describe. Generally recruits between 8 - 10, sometimes a dozen freshmen. Last year 3 seniors, this year 4. Coincidence?

Comment

Coaches control PT. Coaches can play favorites. And at my daughters school the coach names the captains. A good coach will find and select the leaders and let them lead, but a wimp will pick pushovers that he can control. A good coach would want kids who can push back on him and at least challenge once in a while. Doesn't always work out that way though

Comment

If my daughter does an overnight can I attend too?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X