Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Talking about recruiting. Anyone have an opinion about it?

Every coach is different. Repeat. No generalization on this board fits all circumstances. If your kid likes a school, try to find another kid who was interested in that school to fill you in on what the coach does in recruiting; some are active, some never say no, but just defer until the recruit gives up. Never think its a done deal until - at least at D3 - there is an admissions letter - and never think there is a done deal if there is a better recruit that can come along. Period.

Pick a level below where you think your kid can play. As I think about the recruits we've known along the way, almost all ended up just one step down from where they might have thought they'd play.

It is a wild ride.
    Isn't this exactly the point that keeps getting shouted down here? Too many people go into club soccer with unrealistic expectations and only get them readjustd after they have spent a ton of money and gotten a painful dose of humble pie. Why not skip all of that and cut right to the chase because you'll find that ride is a heck of a lot less wild if you know where you are going.

Comment

Pick a level below where you think your kid can play. As I think about the recruits we've known along the way, almost all ended up just one step down from where they might have thought they'd play.

It is a wild ride.
      I've seen plenty who got onto teams that were a bit of a "stretch", maybe played a bit, but often didn't have an optimal experience. Finding the right level of play should be a priority. If you can find that your player will have a better soccer (and overall college experience).

Comment

Every coach is different. Repeat. No generalization on this board fits all circumstances. If your kid likes a school, try to find another kid who was interested in that school to fill you in on what the coach does in recruiting; some are active, some never say no, but just defer until the recruit gives up. Never think its a done deal until - at least at D3 - there is an admissions letter - and never think there is a done deal if there is a better recruit that can come along. Period.

It is a wild ride.
        Depends what your after, I suppose.

For me, the point of a competitive endeavor was always to try find how far you can push your abilities. That was always where the adrenaline rush was - being out on a tight rope where there was a real chance of failure.

Comment

...Pick a level below where you think your kid can play....
          Of course, if everyone followed this "advice," there would be no one playing at some highest level. Or everyone would have to follow one misguided parent's view that reduces the personal goals of other people to ROI, playing time, national championships, and whatever else fits his own sensibilities.

Logic fail, again.

Comment

Depends what your after, I suppose.

For me, the point of a competitive endeavor was always to try find how far you can push your abilities. That was always where the adrenaline rush was - being out on a tight rope where there was a real chance of failure.
            Agree entirely. Attitude of the previous post is one of elitism.

Comment

Isn't this exactly the point that keeps getting shouted down here? Too many people go into club soccer with unrealistic expectations and only get them readjustd after they have spent a ton of money and gotten a painful dose of humble pie. Why not skip all of that and cut right to the chase because you'll find that ride is a heck of a lot less wild if you know where you are going.
              You are such a bold-faced liar. NOTHING has gotten shouted down. A few of us have asked for you to STFU, because just as you did above, you just keep saying the same thing over and over. And why are you trying to think for other people? We know you don't actually care about them, so your agenda is entirely something else.

Comment

Agree entirely. Attitude of the previous post is one of elitism.
                You agree entirely. So that means you you also disagree with the poster clamoring about unrealistic expectations and burdening themselves with the costs of overestimating and ending up in severely and permanently depressed states (which, btw, we never hear about on this site except in one person's imagination).

Comment

You agree entirely. So that means you you also disagree with the poster clamoring about unrealistic expectations and burdening themselves with the costs of overestimating and ending up in severely and permanently depressed states (which, btw, we never hear about on this site except in one person's imagination).
                  Agreed that they have nothing to worry because there's always fools like you exhorting the newbies to jump off the bridge for the rush of the experience to balance them out. Always great when you are playing with OPM.

Comment

I've got a question? D has a commit, top D1, getting 70% money, more concerned about academics than sport, knows the competition & thinks she can dumb herself down just enough to ride the bench more so than not, her idea is to collect the cash but still not have to put as much pressure on herself for the sport & be able to concentrate more on the academics, What is your thoughts?

Comment

I've got a question? D has a commit, top D1, getting 70% money, more concerned about academics than sport, knows the competition & thinks she can dumb herself down just enough to ride the bench more so than not, her idea is to collect the cash but still not have to put as much pressure on herself for the sport & be able to concentrate more on the academics, What is your thoughts?
                      Just go ahead and answer your own fictional question. Don't even worry about an implausible denial.

Comment

Surprise. Yet another fictional, disparaging, negative scenario. And we can then infer what exactly about a genuinely elite, properly motivated D1 recruit?

Comment

I think you should pat yourself on the back, sounds like you've raised a gem there! What do walnut trees make? That's right, more nuts!

Comment

This is nothing but a rather feeble attempt at baiting and exemplifies the amount of hatred directed at our local D1 prospects by elements on this forum. It also explains a lot cyberstalking that takes place here.

Comment

Getting this discussion back on track.

Committing to Play for a College, Then Starting 9th Grade

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/sp...rade.html?_r=0

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X