Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    For every list you find, there's another list that will contradict. Interesting though. I never would have considered Pepperdine, Pacific or BYU all that great but maybe it's because I rarely consider them at all. BYU was also looked at to be added to the Pac 10 but it was cut do to academic standards, among other things. The first article googled on the topic reiterates the point:

* BYU does not meet the Pac-10’s academic standards

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...m-young-issue/

That's one thing the Pac 12 has going for it. Every school is well known, and everyone understands that the schools have academic standards that places it with one of the best academic conferences around. Don't get me wrong. I understand that Stanford is elite, and the others are not Stanford. But all are good.

First of all this written back in 2010 and was re-stating the previous position which was in the 1990s.

The reason stated for not meeting academic standards is due to the fact that BYU is not a major research institution. Not really sure why being a major research institution is a big deal to be in the PAC12, but apparently it was important to someone.

In terms of a quality undergraduate education there are plenty of top schools that are not a major research institutions.

If you go by the US News ranking, then BYU is #61. Not as good as the California schools, but better than the schools in the NW.

Comment

First of all this written back in 2010 and was re-stating the previous position which was in the 1990s.

The reason stated for not meeting academic standards is due to the fact that BYU is not a major research institution. Not really sure why being a major research institution is a big deal to be in the PAC12, but apparently it was important to someone.

In terms of a quality undergraduate education there are plenty of top schools that are not a major research institutions.

If you go by the US News ranking, then BYU is #61. Not as good as the California schools, but better than the schools in the NW.
      i just learned a couple of things about byu. first, not sure if this recently changed but basically the first couple of sentences in a description of BYU, now, says "private research university".

https://www.forbes.com/colleges/brig...ng-university/

and second, tuition is super affordable.

Comment

i just learned a couple of things about byu. first, not sure if this recently changed but basically the first couple of sentences in a description of BYU, now, says "private research university".

https://www.forbes.com/colleges/brig...ng-university/

and second, tuition is super affordable.
        Pretty sure most know BYU is a top school. Ignore those that don't.

Comment

Pretty sure most know BYU is a top school. Ignore those that don't.
          Disagree. BYU is second or 3rd rate. Just my opinion but also that of the PAC 12. BYU is affordable but that’s where it ends. Sorry if that makes you feel bad but that’s how most rational people (without an agenda) think.

Comment

Disagree. BYU is second or 3rd rate. Just my opinion but also that of the PAC 12. BYU is affordable but that’s where it ends. Sorry if that makes you feel bad but that’s how most rational people (without an agenda) think.
            No agenda here. I'm not Mormon and my kids won't be going to BYU. Facts are facts and BYU is known as a great school on par with the best in U.S. I think maybe it's you with the agenda.

How long ago was it that BYU was turned down by Pac12? Would they have been the only faith based school in Pac12?

Comment

Take a look at the PAC12.

UCLA, CAL, Stanford, and USC are top 25 academic schools.

Washington is #56 and BYU is #61.

The rest of the PAC12 schools are around ranked above 100 with the exception Colorado and they are ranked #90.

I think the US News as well as Forbes ranking are more credible than your opinion. Also, you did not read the PAC12 opinion very closely and that opinion was from 1990's.

If you want to be rational then look at the data rather than from one quote from 10 years ago and then take it out of context.

Comment

Take a look at the PAC12.

UCLA, CAL, Stanford, and USC are top 25 academic schools.

Washington is #56 and BYU is #61.

The rest of the PAC12 schools are around ranked above 100 with the exception Colorado and they are ranked #90.

I think the US News as well as Forbes ranking are more credible than your opinion. Also, you did not read the PAC12 opinion very closely and that opinion was from 1990's.

If you want to be rational then look at the data rather than from one quote from 10 years ago and then take it out of context.
                BYU must have improved a lot over the last several years. It must be a top choice for Mormons.

Comment

BYU must have improved a lot over the last several years. It must be a top choice for Mormons.
                  Not a fan of BYU or their beliefs but I recognize BYU is a top level school.

#46 Pepperdine
                  #110 San Francisco
                  #110 Pacific

all ranked higher than Arizona, OSU, Wash State, Utah, ASU.....all of these schools are EASY to get admitted to.

USF has top notch nursing program and a law school
                  Pacific has a pharmacy, dental and a law school.
                  Pepperdine has a law school.

Comment

.A top pick for Mormons. Many students are older and go after their missions, making for a more mature student body.

Comment

"It must be a top choice for Mormons" - Captain Obvious

Comment

So where is the dad from Salem with is blowhard statements about Arizona being on a par in soccer with UCLA, Stanford, USC and Cal? I notice that Stanford and UCLA are still alive in the tournament and, well, Arizona is not. They won their first game and then the fun ended. Even WSU went further in the tournament. Salem dad needs to save his hyperbole for Facebook where the grandparents don't know any better.

Comment

Not a fan of BYU or their beliefs but I recognize BYU is a top level school.

#46 Pepperdine
                          #110 San Francisco
                          #110 Pacific

all ranked higher than Arizona, OSU, Wash State, Utah, ASU.....all of these schools are EASY to get admitted to.

USF has top notch nursing program and a law school
                          Pacific has a pharmacy, dental and a law school.
                          Pepperdine has a law school.
                          Why are we talking about BYU, Pepperdine, USF, and Pacific? Who cares. Solid schools but also easy to get into. And no one cares about their athletics. This is a soccer board. I’m guessing you or your children went to these schools and for some reason need us to validate. PAC 12 speaks for itself regardless of cherry picked rankings.

Comment

So where is the dad from Salem with is blowhard statements about Arizona being on a par in soccer with UCLA, Stanford, USC and Cal? I notice that Stanford and UCLA are still alive in the tournament and, well, Arizona is not. They won their first game and then the fun ended. Even WSU went further in the tournament. Salem dad needs to save his hyperbole for Facebook where the grandparents don't know any better.

I am familiar with the person you are attacking. A. his kids are really good soccer players, and B. The guy was completely supportive of his kids. Roast someone else cause the guy you are going after did a good job and is proud. Good for this family and hope UofA is awesome.

Comment

Why are we talking about BYU, Pepperdine, USF, and Pacific? Who cares. Solid schools but also easy to get into. And no one cares about their athletics. This is a soccer board. I’m guessing you or your children went to these schools and for some reason need us to validate. PAC 12 speaks for itself regardless of cherry picked rankings.
                              The fact that this is a soccer board is exactly why these schools are relevant. The WCC is an outstanding conference for women’s athletics where often they are held in much higher regard then their PAC 12 counterparts. Stop with the "if it's not PAC 12 then it's not worth talking about" non-sense. Many top-tier players simply choose to go to school and play in this conference because of the size or location of a particular school. Each of these schools have players rostered who would start and make significant contributions in the PAC 12.

Comment

Pretty sure I labeled them in the "second tier" of the PAC 12 and that caused some people to disagree. They clearly are/were in the 2nd group so what I said at the time was EXACTLY RIGHT ON.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X