Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCAA Clearinghouse

Questions for those of you with experience....

1. What grade should your child register for the NCAA clearinghouse??
    2. What is the number of visits your child took to a school before committing?
    3. I know schools can offer official visits but do any ever do them?

TIA.

Sophmore year
    Unlimited unofficial
    Yes, plenty do

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Sophmore year
      Unlimited unofficial
      Yes, plenty do
      Agree if you're asking how many CAN they take. If you looking for a consensus, it would probably depend if your kid has a shot at their dream school or they have no idea where they want to go. My kid visited 8 schools, a number of which where up north. Our "official" visit included dinner, nothing else.

Comment

different for everyone

My son had 3 officials visits. Two were all-inclusive as they flew him up there and took care of everything. One was in driving distance so they paid the hotel.

Comment

Agree if you're asking how many CAN they take. If you looking for a consensus, it would probably depend if your kid has a shot at their dream school or they have no idea where they want to go. My kid visited 8 schools, a number of which where up north. Our "official" visit included dinner, nothing else.
          If you go during sporting event you can get up to 3 tickets also.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I was under the impression that soccer coaches really don't use funds from their budgets to host recruits on official visits.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I was under the impression that soccer coaches really don't use funds from their budgets to host recruits on official visits.
              They don't have big budgets. Look at it this what - if you were a regular student looking at the school you would still incur those travel costs.

Comment

They don't have big budgets. Look at it this what - if you were a regular student looking at the school you would still incur those travel costs.
                Agree 100%. No one in their right mind goes to a school without ever having set foot on the campus at least once

Comment

My son had 3 officials visits. Two were all-inclusive as they flew him up there and took care of everything. One was in driving distance so they paid the hotel.
                  Congrats, your kid must be a US team alternate at the very least. Airline tickets ain't normal for soccer players.

Comment

Congrats, your kid must be a US team alternate at the very least. Airline tickets ain't normal for soccer players.
                    That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read this post.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Our official visit went like this for my daughter.

I and my daughter flew up on on a Friday on our dime. Mom stayed home (her choice to save the $$)
                      We were picked up at the airport by the asst coach. Toured the campus.
                      We stayed out a local hotel and got a discounted rate. $50 for a nice Marriott.
                      Coach hosted us and couple other recruits/parents for dinner.
                      She spent Saturday with the team watching practice and was chaperoned by a couple of the players.
                      Sunday we had breakfast with the coaching staff on campus and the we along with the other recruits had private meetings with the coach at different intervals.
                      They presented their offer and what the "estimate" of what her academic grant should be based on her current gpa and current ACT score of 32. That was early April and they gave her the end of April to decide.
                      After a few more discussions with admissions and financial aid it was a go.

Mind you, all this happened after numerous emails and phone conversation between my daughter and the head and asst coach who also came to watch her play at the Winter and Spring Showcases. The spoke to her coach a couple times and asked for ALL of her social media accounts.

She is a rising senior and passed on a few local D2 schools in FL who have ins at our club and waited to make a decision until she visited some out of state schools junior year. There was some interest from USF but that did not go anywhere.

We paid into Florida Prepaid and she is probably going to qualify for Florida Bright Futures Academic which puts any Florida School for free. That was a big part of the discussion....ensuring that going out of state and taking on the responsibility of playing in college offset going to school for free in Florida with no stress.

Comment

Our official visit went like this for my daughter.

I and my daughter flew up on on a Friday on our dime. Mom stayed home (her choice to save the $$)
                        We were picked up at the airport by the asst coach. Toured the campus.
                        We stayed out a local hotel and got a discounted rate. $50 for a nice Marriott.
                        Coach hosted us and couple other recruits/parents for dinner.
                        She spent Saturday with the team watching practice and was chaperoned by a couple of the players.
                        Sunday we had breakfast with the coaching staff on campus and the we along with the other recruits had private meetings with the coach at different intervals.
                        They presented their offer and what the "estimate" of what her academic grant should be based on her current gpa and current ACT score of 32. That was early April and they gave her the end of April to decide.
                        After a few more discussions with admissions and financial aid it was a go.

Mind you, all this happened after numerous emails and phone conversation between my daughter and the head and asst coach who also came to watch her play at the Winter and Spring Showcases. The spoke to her coach a couple times and asked for ALL of her social media accounts.

She is a rising senior and passed on a few local D2 schools in FL who have ins at our club and waited to make a decision until she visited some out of state schools junior year. There was some interest from USF but that did not go anywhere.

We paid into Florida Prepaid and she is probably going to qualify for Florida Bright Futures Academic which puts any Florida School for free. That was a big part of the discussion....ensuring that going out of state and taking on the responsibility of playing in college offset going to school for free in Florida with no stress.
                        Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the information. I know there is no “normal“ recruiting process but the more information/feedback you can get the better.

My daughter is entering her junior year and is receiving interest from some out of state mid major D1 schools, some in state D2 schools, and some out of state D2 and D3 schools. One of the D1 schools has asked her to come up for an unofficial visit. She’s already been there, the head coach invited her last year, for an ID camp. They’ve brought up test scores, GPAs, and tuition cost. The in state D2 schools are not really a consideration mainly because of most of them just aren’t what she is looking for academically. The out of state D2 and D3 schools definitely have her interest because of the academics. We have Florida prepaid and also have a 529 plan. Bright futures definitely would be achievable if she stays in state. We shall see how it goes.

Any suggestions and advice are definitely appreciated. TIA

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the information. I know there is no “normal“ recruiting process but the more information/feedback you can get the better.

My daughter is entering her junior year and is receiving interest from some out of state mid major D1 schools, some in state D2 schools, and some out of state D2 and D3 schools. One of the D1 schools has asked her to come up for an unofficial visit. She’s already been there, the head coach invited her last year, for an ID camp. They’ve brought up test scores, GPAs, and tuition cost. The in state D2 schools are not really a consideration mainly because of most of them just aren’t what she is looking for academically. The out of state D2 and D3 schools definitely have her interest because of the academics. We have Florida prepaid and also have a 529 plan. Bright futures definitely would be achievable if she stays in state. We shall see how it goes.

Any suggestions and advice are definitely appreciated. TIA
                          This applies to all, not just athletes -

If finances are a concern for going out of state (will be for most) call their bursar/financial aid people. They can be very helpful giving you an idea on what you or may not qualify for, any special scholarships your student can apply for etc.

Sit down with your student and show them the hard cold numbers. How much can you contribute towards their education and what will they have to cover with all scholarships, grants and even loans. If loans, what will that debt look like after they graduate, how long will it take to pay off and what will the payments be? What do they want to major in and what kind of income might they make? Is grad school in the picture? How will that get paid for?

For athletes - keep up the communication with all coaches. Just because you haven't heard back from some for awhile doesn't mean all is lost but try ad keep it going. Keep lots of balls in the air because you never know how it will all play out in the end. Don't burn bridges - if something falls apart later on a coach may still be interested.

Comment

This applies to all, not just athletes -

If finances are a concern for going out of state (will be for most) call their bursar/financial aid people. They can be very helpful giving you an idea on what you or may not qualify for, any special scholarships your student can apply for etc.

Sit down with your student and show them the hard cold numbers. How much can you contribute towards their education and what will they have to cover with all scholarships, grants and even loans. If loans, what will that debt look like after they graduate, how long will it take to pay off and what will the payments be? What do they want to major in and what kind of income might they make? Is grad school in the picture? How will that get paid for?

For athletes - keep up the communication with all coaches. Just because you haven't heard back from some for awhile doesn't mean all is lost but try ad keep it going. Keep lots of balls in the air because you never know how it will all play out in the end. Don't burn bridges - if something falls apart later on a coach may still be interested.
                            Great advice. Especially on the part about talking about finances. I do planning for a living and some student loan numbers I see for non doctors or attorneys have been as high as $80-100k for psychology and liberal arts degrees. Not a smart decision.

Comment

Great advice. Especially on the part about talking about finances. I do planning for a living and some student loan numbers I see for non doctors or attorneys have been as high as $80-100k for psychology and liberal arts degrees. Not a smart decision.
                              Thanks. I wouldn't take any loans other than the federal max. It's good for students to have some skin in the game but it has to be manageable. Parents should never take out loans to pay for their kids college.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X