Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Verbal commitments mean nothing. Until a national letter of intent - a school has zero obligation to an athlete. Not to mention letter of intent for DIII is non binding to both parties and is nothing more than a PR gimmick.

The only thing a verbal does is indicates a serious interest on behalf of the school and the athlete. However, it is nothing more than a "gentleman's" agreement between the school and athlete. It means nothing until a NLI is submitted to the NCAA from the school.
    SO TRUE - If I had a $ for every kid I have heard has had a verbal commitment and ended up somewhere else - I would be on a golf course right now and retired early. I had an athlete with a "verbal" commitment from a DII school who saw him at a couple of showcase events. Once they saw him play a series of games the following fall HS season and spring club season - no go. They offered him a walk on position.

I have seen at least 8 or 9 kids in the last 20 years get verbals from schools and the school backs out when they get another recruit they feel is a better fit. Verbal commitments only benefit the school because it allows them to hedge their bets and the athlete gets nothing until a letter.

Listing "verbal commitments" is pointless and only strokes the ego of the athlete and parents while the school is still recruiting other ids at the position or gets transfers that supplant your kid.

Comment

Wrong. Verbal commitments are not the same as the NLI but minimizing is incorrect. Vast majority works through with very few changing their minds (on either side).
      The poster said NLI and verbal commitments are different... read much?

Comment

SO TRUE - If I had a $ for every kid I have heard has had a verbal commitment and ended up somewhere else - I would be on a golf course right now and retired early. I had an athlete with a "verbal" commitment from a DII school who saw him at a couple of showcase events. Once they saw him play a series of games the following fall HS season and spring club season - no go. They offered him a walk on position.

I have seen at least 8 or 9 kids in the last 20 years get verbals from schools and the school backs out when they get another recruit they feel is a better fit. Verbal commitments only benefit the school because it allows them to hedge their bets and the athlete gets nothing until a letter.

Listing "verbal commitments" is pointless and only strokes the ego of the athlete and parents while the school is still recruiting other ids at the position or gets transfers that supplant your kid.
        This is not true for division 1. Yes I know a few but again the vast majority hold.

Comment

The poster said NLI and verbal commitments are different... read much?
          I was merely restating what the poster said and then offering a slight counter. I assume my debate skills are too complex for you.

Comment

This is not true for division 1. Yes I know a few but again the vast majority hold.
            Agreed that most hold... but the reality is that both schools and players back out more than you realize - that's why its a verbal commitment and not a NLI. Not to mention DI NCAA just changed the rules for verbal commitments making it "tighter".

Comment

You are obviously talking about lower level schools. Division 1 schools certainly go and see their prospects play several times before making an offer. I have heard of 1 D1 position being pulled and a few players pulled out of verbal committments because they recieved a better offer from another D1 school.

“Listing “verbal commitments” is pointless and only strokes the ego of the athlete and parents”? Really? Tell that to the clubs and colleges that tweet the details and TDS that lists them even with players that aren’t payed members. It’s not the parents that put the information out there.

Comment

A player had a verbal commit to BC very early in the cycle, then Harvard offered.
                Guess where is she currently playing at?

Comment

A player had a verbal commit to BC very early in the cycle, then Harvard offered.
                  Iowa?

Comment

So if Harvard offered them and they went there - the financial aide package must have been better and BC did not offer scholarship $ considering that Harvard (and the rest of the Ivy League) can't offer athletic scholarships. So their aid package must have trumped BC's offer to make it more appealing. In then end, that player was a partial scholarship athlete to begin with.

Comment

So if Harvard offered them and they went there - the financial aide package must have been better and BC did not offer scholarship $ considering that Harvard (and the rest of the Ivy League) can't offer athletic scholarships. So their aid package must have trumped BC's offer to make it more appealing. In then end, that player was a partial scholarship athlete to begin with.
                      That's my thinking. Both are good schools, but it's not apples to apples if one chooses Ivy over another

Comment

It’s highly unusual to NOT be a “partial scholarship” athlete in soccer both girls and boys. When someone boasts a “full ride” or near one they are talking about financial aid, merit and athletic money which added up can be 70-80% for a very good prospect.

Obviously the mentioned recruit could afford either school and once Harvard was offered then it didn’t matter what money BC offered, if any.

Comment

Know another who was offered BC but then chose URI for academic reasons. If you can’t keep up at a strong academic school then you can’t play soccer there either.

Comment

Know another who was offered BC but then chose URI for academic reasons. If you can’t keep up at a strong academic school then you can’t play soccer there either.
                            Both of the current boys Harvard commits turned down BC for Harvard.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X