Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No league can survive in Hartford. The city can’t support it. They even lost the nhl franchise to freaking North Carolina.....
    Actually there there is a significant new factor the rail line from New haven to Springfield. People can take a train to the game from south and north.

Agree it’s not going to be easy but there is potential ride the 2026 World Cup wave. If they can survive the first 4 year I think they have a shot.

Comment

Actually there there is a significant new factor the rail line from New haven to Springfield. People can take a train to the game from south and north.

Agree it’s not going to be easy but there is potential ride the 2026 World Cup wave. If they can survive the first 4 year I think they have a shot.
      Yeh that train will help bring another 50 fans

Comment

Yeah because so many new haveners want to take a train to Hartford. The only reason a few might is to save themselves from traveling on the poor roads between the two cities.

Comment

Why the negativity? Some fellow Connecticut citizens trying to build a soccer club and you find delight in their potential failure. What motivates you? You depress me.
          If you're that easily depressed you shouldn't be on TS

Comment

Isn't the minor league baseball team in Hartford doing well?
            Bridgeport Bluefish folded after almost 20 years of a decent run but not enough to keep it going. There's a reason CT doesn't have any pro or many semi pro anything teams, and not having a train until now definitely isn't one of them.

Comment

If you're that easily depressed you shouldn't be on TS
              Fact: 97.2% of the posters here are depressed and post to make themselves feel better.

Comment

Fact: 97.2% of the posters here are depressed and post to make themselves feel better.
                97.2% of OW parents post here because they think their kid is playing D1

Comment

Bridgeport Bluefish folded after almost 20 years of a decent run but not enough to keep it going. There's a reason CT doesn't have any pro or many semi pro anything teams, and not having a train until now definitely isn't one of them.
                  You don't know what you are talking about.

The Bluefish didn't " fold" . The City of Bridgeport, who owns the stadium , decided to make it a concert venue instead of a sports facility. The team will relocate . In 2016, they were 19th out of 42 teams in attendance. Although attendance had deceased, it has been down .07% this year. Most of the teams are in a similar situation.

Regarding Hartford Athletic, you aren't looking at the big picture. Just like Dunkin Donuts park is now sold out nearly every game, it has created jobs and commerce , and attracted people to come into the city. A reworked Dillon stadium may do the same.

Through a Federal Grant, $ 1.5 million has been allocated to revitalize nearby Colt Park. The last remaining undeveloped part of the old Colt Factory, the North Tower, will now be turned into housing and maybe some retail.

1000 people have already gone to the Hartford Athletic website and made a deposit for seasons tickets. The stadium will holds around 6000 people. If I was an investor, I would be encouraged by that. In addition, there is linkage to the Hartford Boys and Girls Club.

This is how cities across America are coming back. Small pockets of investment and redevelopment in partnership with private and public funds. New venues to attract families . With commerce, expansion follows. Hartford is not a major league city , and minor leagues are a good fit for the population base. The per capita income here and the percentage of youth soccer players in the state is higher than dozens of others. It appears that there would be ample support for a USL team. Seems that USL agrees.

I wish the Hartford Athletic luck and will attend some of the games if I am able.

Comment

You don't know what you are talking about.

The Bluefish didn't " fold" . The City of Bridgeport, who owns the stadium , decided to make it a concert venue instead of a sports facility. The team will relocate . In 2016, they were 19th out of 42 teams in attendance. Although attendance had deceased, it has been down .07% this year. Most of the teams are in a similar situation.

Regarding Hartford Athletic, you aren't looking at the big picture. Just like Dunkin Donuts park is now sold out nearly every game, it has created jobs and commerce , and attracted people to come into the city. A reworked Dillon stadium may do the same.

Through a Federal Grant, $ 1.5 million has been allocated to revitalize nearby Colt Park. The last remaining undeveloped part of the old Colt Factory, the North Tower, will now be turned into housing and maybe some retail.

1000 people have already gone to the Hartford Athletic website and made a deposit for seasons tickets. The stadium will holds around 6000 people. If I was an investor, I would be encouraged by that. In addition, there is linkage to the Hartford Boys and Girls Club.

This is how cities across America are coming back. Small pockets of investment and redevelopment in partnership with private and public funds. New venues to attract families . With commerce, expansion follows. Hartford is not a major league city , and minor leagues are a good fit for the population base. The per capita income here and the percentage of youth soccer players in the state is higher than dozens of others. It appears that there would be ample support for a USL team. Seems that USL agrees.

I wish the Hartford Athletic luck and will attend some of the games if I am able.
                    Will be attending as well. Also hoping to see some Open Cup matches v MLS teams hosted at Dillon Stadium.....should be exciting. Only downer is that they plan on playing on fake grass I believe. Wish they would reconsider.

Comment

The ownership seems to be local guys. This looks to be a real grass roots group with a lot of ties to CT and Hartford specifically. I hope they can pull in some of the youth groups and make this a beacon for CT soccer, we need one.

Also, looks to be an effort to bring soccer into the "urban" setting with the connections to the Hartford organizations. Might be a nice thing to see some "urban" players getting into the CT soccer landscape. Maybe there will be an academy tied to the team that will have low or no cost and not a $3000 dollar pay to play team.

Comment

The ownership seems to be local guys. This looks to be a real grass roots group with a lot of ties to CT and Hartford specifically. I hope they can pull in some of the youth groups and make this a beacon for CT soccer, we need one.

Also, looks to be an effort to bring soccer into the "urban" setting with the connections to the Hartford organizations. Might be a nice thing to see some "urban" players getting into the CT soccer landscape. Maybe there will be an academy tied to the team that will have low or no cost and not a $3000 dollar pay to play team.
                        Ownership recently stated that developing an academy is too expensive and it is not in their plans. They will establish "relationships" with local clubs and give them free tickets and do a clinic once in a while.

Comment

Ownership recently stated that developing an academy is too expensive and it is not in their plans. They will establish "relationships" with local clubs and give them free tickets and do a clinic once in a while.
                          they're not MLS so they wouldn't really "have" to do academy. But yes running academy teams is very expensive for MLS clubs. Plus, the location would make running any youth club tough (would they get a badge so close to OW?. there's lots of competing clubs making it tough to operate any youth club). They're smart to know their limitations to start out with and just focus on their key objectives.

Comment

they're not MLS so they wouldn't really "have" to do academy. But yes running academy teams is very expensive for MLS clubs. Plus, the location would make running any youth club tough (would they get a badge so close to OW?. there's lots of competing clubs making it tough to operate any youth club). They're smart to know their limitations to start out with and just focus on their key objectives.

With no tangible youth system, they are a minor league soccer "team" and not a true soccer club with deep roots in the community.

They should merge with OW.

Comment

That's called doing it on the cheap.

Comment

UCONN does that. Clinics are money makers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X