Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anybody have any information what that level needs to be?
    We heard several versions of the story about AI when my d was being recruited. We interpreted it all as follows:

1) the target avg. AI differs for the various schools. Slightly higher for HYP than the others.
    2) the target AI differs by sport, too. Since the overall athletic department AI needs to hit certain levels, some sports are held to a higher standard than others. (e.g., football target is lower than sailing or fencing or squash, etc.) Women's soccer seems to be in the mid-range.
    3) one coach admitted to having a big white board with all the data on it, and it would change as new SATs or ACTs came in. They wanted to know the score as soon as it was reported. It sounded very fluid.
    4) we heard on several occasions that certain recruits were on the list simply to boost the AI, and that they'd never really get on the field.
    5) one assistant boasted that if they really had a shot at landing a stud player, they'd simply recruit 5 geniuses who couldn't play at all just to be her classmates.

Comment

They generally won't give you one until at least the first SAT and usually want several more attempts to get the scores they need. It really did seem like a real chess match. When we went through it the different Ivies all had different expectations. My kid was a "unicorn" so they were generally given pretty easy targets. Roughly 600's and a 3.5. Generally was told not to take classes that they couldn't get at least a B+ in. Of the Ivies Princeton had the highest expectations. They wanted 700's, a 4.0 and AP classes. My kid had the grades but we chose to take the money and run. They committed almost 2 years before the Ivies told us they could give us a pre-read. Hope this give you the information you need.
      Well, aren't you special?

Comment

Well, aren't you special?
        And aren't you a quivering little vaj.

I asked a question, I have my individual story, and someone with experience shared their individual story. Sux that you troll this board like little bich-boy cuz his kid did better 'n yours

Comment

Targeting *public* schools out of state

Does anyone know, when targeting OOS public colleges/universities, if receiving in-state tuition is something the athletic department can offer even if it is not offered to general applicants?

Comment

Does anyone know, when targeting OOS public colleges/universities, if receiving in-state tuition is something the athletic department can offer even if it is not offered to general applicants?
            NO.
            They can offer a scholarship to off-set the cost, and possibly, their internal mechanisms may allow them to only charge internally against in-state, but they can not offer in-state to an oos student. illegal

Comment

NO.
              They can offer a scholarship to off-set the cost, and possibly, their internal mechanisms may allow them to only charge internally against in-state, but they can not offer in-state to an oos student. illegal
              Thanks.

Comment

Someone told me that to be an Ivy recruit you had to be a GREST athlete, and a good student. To be a NESCAC recruit you had to be a GOOD athlete and a great student.

Comment

Someone told me that to be an Ivy recruit you had to be a GREST athlete, and a good student. To be a NESCAC recruit you had to be a GOOD athlete and a great student.
                  not true. HYP is very strict about grades and scores, and makes very few exceptions if any, I've seen not so great students get into Amherst and Bowdoin. Cuts both ways academically.

Comment

We heard several versions of the story about AI when my d was being recruited. We interpreted it all as follows:

1) the target avg. AI differs for the various schools. Slightly higher for HYP than the others.
                    2) the target AI differs by sport, too. Since the overall athletic department AI needs to hit certain levels, some sports are held to a higher standard than others. (e.g., football target is lower than sailing or fencing or squash, etc.) Women's soccer seems to be in the mid-range.
                    3) one coach admitted to having a big white board with all the data on it, and it would change as new SATs or ACTs came in. They wanted to know the score as soon as it was reported. It sounded very fluid.
                    4) we heard on several occasions that certain recruits were on the list simply to boost the AI, and that they'd never really get on the field.
                    5) one assistant boasted that if they really had a shot at landing a stud player, they'd simply recruit 5 geniuses who couldn't play at all just to be her classmates.
                    How do international players fit in this? I noticed especially at Harvard
                    they had quite a few internationals on the roster, which is quite
                    troubling.

Comment

How do international players fit in this? I noticed especially at Harvard
                      they had quite a few internationals on the roster, which is quite
                      troubling.
                      In men's D1 it is a pretty significant factor. Schools won't have a roster full of internationals but often 5-8. Some have even more, some hardly any. Since those players can generally attend university back home for almost nothing they get the bulk of the scholarship $ as an enticement to come here. That leaves very little $ for the rest of the squad. They also tend to be the primary starters. Most have been training with clubs overseas but weren't quite good enough to go pro. In women's there aren't as man international players but it is growing rapidly. Always check out the team rosters to see how many they have and who is getting the most PT.

Comment

Liberal arts college nty.

Comment

In men's D1 it is a pretty significant factor. Schools won't have a roster full of internationals but often 5-8. Some have even more, some hardly any. Since those players can generally attend university back home for almost nothing they get the bulk of the scholarship $ as an enticement to come here. That leaves very little $ for the rest of the squad. They also tend to be the primary starters. Most have been training with clubs overseas but weren't quite good enough to go pro. In women's there aren't as man international players but it is growing rapidly. Always check out the team rosters to see how many they have and who is getting the most PT.
                          This is only relevant at the scholarship schools. Ivies don't care about ability to pay, for the most part.

Comment

Interesting. So if the kid (boy or girl) has both, skill and smarts, they are pretty much set. I have heard that Ivys are always different. You have to have the academics; no exceptions. They don't want the rest of the roster to carry a kid that simply can't cut it academically. You have to be academically eligible to get on the field in all the leagues. Some leagues have higher academic standards. Smart, skilled players have their choices generally.

Comment

Interesting. So if the kid (boy or girl) has both, skill and smarts, they are pretty much set. I have heard that Ivys are always different. You have to have the academics; no exceptions. They don't want the rest of the roster to carry a kid that simply can't cut it academically. You have to be academically eligible to get on the field in all the leagues. Some leagues have higher academic standards. Smart, skilled players have their choices generally.
                              Guess it depends what levels you define as both. NT and 1600 are rare. High school starter and 1400 not so much.

Comment

not true. HYP is very strict about grades and scores, and makes very few exceptions if any, I've seen not so great students get into Amherst and Bowdoin. Cuts both ways academically.
                                Yes, sounds like a NESCAC fan. All Ivies, in fact virtually all top institutions, are need blind. Not all institutions in NESCAC are. So, to expand, in order to ensure admission in a NESCAC, good student, good athlete, and outstanding at paying 70k+. If the school is non-need blind, you are placed in a different folder if you pay.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X