Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I couldn't agree more, anyone can be athletic but not everyone is an athlete; big difference. The mental part of any sport is just as important, and in some cases more important, than being physically athletic. If a player can not show a willingness or ability to grow mentally and pick up nuances of the game then they will never be a good enough player.
    Soccer is a players sport, the coach can use the practice time to make tactical adjustments and help players individually grow as a player technically but once that whistle blows the players need to adjust to the game mentally and physically.
    It's like a player who just goes in the back yard and juggles all day and never picks up any other part of the game. Yes, they will develop a great touch and yes that is the foundation of the game, but once that whistle blows what else can the do out there? How effective is that player in the other 90% of the game when they don't have the ball. Very underrated, good post.
    You guys are spot on. A truly elite player of any sport has to have a very high sports IQ and the decision making is what what makes them elite. They need to be fast and athletic and have developed good technical skills but all that are must haves at a top level and the ones that rise above are the ones that are impactful in games because of an above average way of seeing the field. It’s underrated because most parents are idiots. They see their player in training and think he/she is “just as good” as a top player and wonder why they don’t get played more, get the looks for a particular team or eventually for college.

Comment

You guys are spot on. A truly elite player of any sport has to have a very high sports IQ and the decision making is what what makes them elite. They need to be fast and athletic and have developed good technical skills but all that are must haves at a top level and the ones that rise above are the ones that are impactful in games because of an above average way of seeing the field. It’s underrated because most parents are idiots. They see their player in training and think he/she is “just as good” as a top player and wonder why they don’t get played more, get the looks for a particular team or eventually for college.
      Come back here in 10 years and let us know where your kid is at, and you as well. You know so much about what it takes to be a top player, yet I bet you nor your kid are one. I’m guessing you are the idiot, perhaps a lazy arse “ has been “ or” would’ve been” player turned coach or parent retrying to relive their lost dream through their kid.

Comment

Come back here in 10 years and let us know where your kid is at, and you as well. You know so much about what it takes to be a top player, yet I bet you nor your kid are one. I’m guessing you are the idiot, perhaps a lazy arse “ has been “ or” would’ve been” player turned coach or parent retrying to relive their lost dream through their kid.
        Not even close. I’m very happy with where my kids are and where they are going. And why the snark? What did I say that got you so worked up? I made too much sense for you?

Comment

Not even close. I’m very happy with where my kids are and where they are going. And why the snark? What did I say that got you so worked up? I made too much sense for you?
          Here’s one thing that’s for sure : “Real deals “ don’t troll around TS acting all righteous about what makes a good soccer player. Nope. Aint nobody got time for that.

Comment

Here’s one thing that’s for sure : “Real deals “ don’t troll around TS acting all righteous about what makes a good soccer player. Nope. Aint nobody got time for that.
            So what are you saying? Everyone on here is an uninformed fool, you included?

Comment

Lol. Troll much? Must have hit a nerve. The reason we are discussing this is because most of the coaching around here is crap. Coaches aren’t developing soccer IQ because either they are too lazy or don’t know how. Too easy to just throw some cones down and yell at players to play “faster” in some BS passing pattern.

I know a very talented club player, in her junior year. Technical, athletic, what’s her issue? She can’t help but over-dribble. From the back, from the middle of the pitch. Wherever. She holds the ball too long and passing lanes close and defenders move in. She can usually beat the 1st defender, but her field awareness and speed of play suffer from the head down overdribbling amd often loses the ball or misplays the pass after beating the defender. Soccer IQ. Why has no coach ever taught her when and why we dribble. When and why we pass. How defenders close down passing lanes and how to improve her speed of play and field awareness?

Simple... too easy to just applaud her individual effort to keep her and her parents happy and ignore the hard work of teaching the difficult aspects of the games tactics and theories. It’s also obvious to me she isn’t a student of the game, just a decent individual player. We need better coaches, coaches who understand how to make smart soccer players and teach the game, not just a set of soccer skills.

Comment

Lol. Troll much? Must have hit a nerve. The reason we are discussing this is because most of the coaching around here is crap. Coaches aren’t developing soccer IQ because either they are too lazy or don’t know how. Too easy to just throw some cones down and yell at players to play “faster” in some BS passing pattern.

I know a very talented club player, in her junior year. Technical, athletic, what’s her issue? She can’t help but over-dribble. From the back, from the middle of the pitch. Wherever. She holds the ball too long and passing lanes close and defenders move in. She can usually beat the 1st defender, but her field awareness and speed of play suffer from the head down overdribbling amd often loses the ball or misplays the pass after beating the defender. Soccer IQ. Why has no coach ever taught her when and why we dribble. When and why we pass. How defenders close down passing lanes and how to improve her speed of play and field awareness?

Simple... too easy to just applaud her individual effort to keep her and her parents happy and ignore the hard work of teaching the difficult aspects of the games tactics and theories. It’s also obvious to me she isn’t a student of the game, just a decent individual player. We need better coaches, coaches who understand how to make smart soccer players and teach the game, not just a set of soccer skills.
                Spot on. So few understand the need for truly seeing the field and seeing the future of plays as they happen.

Comment

No this site is full of know it alls and has been a who think they have the inside info on every club.....the pulse on the soccer conglomerate

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X