X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasing the dream....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/s...gtype=Homepage

“We’re trying to get college scholarships — that’s the only reason we are here,” Wyatt said. “The whole goal to get these girls in a school and some of it paid for.”

This is all driven by the escalating cost of college - $70,000 for Syracuse this year. SYRACUSE!!??? $70,000???????

The percentage of kids that actually get money is so small and 95% of these parents should put the money in a 529. Not to mention the kids that actually do get money and only play for a year or two when they realize this is going nowhere and SHE is missing out on Internships, Sororities, etc. etc.

There's a balance. There is recognizing that college scholarship is really hard to attain but that it is worthwhile to put in the work to get a chance. The reason it is worthwhile is because along the way you get to enjoy the sport at the highest level you can make, you get the health benefits, friends, experiences at tournaments and the life lessons that competing provides.

YOu wont reach that level if you do not try. YOu also have the choice to hide in your town team if the uppr echelons are too scary. No one is forced to do anything and the assumption that it is a zero sum for every family is silly.

Comment

...."the industry has doubled in size over the past decade — to more than $15 billion a year, according to one company that tracks its growth — as tournament organizers, property developers and a handful of small towns target parents who share their young athletes’ dreams of glory and have the money to pursue them."....

Key idea there is pursuit of parents that have money. Not pursuit of parents that have talented athletes. It is business. Big business.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        There's a balance. There is recognizing that college scholarship is really hard to attain but that it is worthwhile to put in the work to get a chance. The reason it is worthwhile is because along the way you get to enjoy the sport at the highest level you can make, you get the health benefits, friends, experiences at tournaments and the life lessons that competing provides.

YOu wont reach that level if you do not try. YOu also have the choice to hide in your town team if the uppr echelons are too scary. No one is forced to do anything and the assumption that it is a zero sum for every family is silly.
        Doing it for the college scholarship is a fool's errand for 99% of people. But there are plenty of other good reasons to do it if you can afford it.

Comment

Doing it for the college scholarship is a fool's errand for 99% of people. But there are plenty of other good reasons to do it if you can afford it.

Agreed but the current environment forces kids to play 1 sport and that sport runs 12 months now. It also requires a major investment in money and time that seems to increase every year.

Comment

Doing it for the scholarship is the wrong reason, but one that I certainly can understand. My kids both played D3 sports in college, and many people gave us a hard time because of that. "You wasted so much money, blah, blah, blah." I totally disagree. I got to spend countless hours with my kids, and my kids learned so many life lessons from premier sports.

Comment

Agreed but the current environment forces kids to play 1 sport and that sport runs 12 months now. It also requires a major investment in money and time that seems to increase every year.
              No one is forced to do anything. Choose what you like but there is no perfect choice.

Comment

#1 rule - it should be your kids' dream, not yours. They have to want it, a lot.
                #2 rule - it may not be a realistic dream; try and figure that out by late middle school and adjust accordingly
                #3 rule - don't expect financial benefits or make substantive financial sacrifices for club soccer. If it a scholarship happens, you're a lottery winner.

Comment

#4. Colleges/Universites as we currently know them will not exist in 20 years. Plan accordingly.

Comment

#4. Colleges/Universites as we currently know them will not exist in 20 years. Plan accordingly.
                    Fine. Just starting this for first time. Been on a few tours and they spend more time on the amazing food and housing then the academics. What the heck. Is this school or a resort? No wonder the costs are out of hand.

Comment

Fine. Just starting this for first time. Been on a few tours and they spend more time on the amazing food and housing then the academics. What the heck. Is this school or a resort? No wonder the costs are out of hand.
                      No kidding! I went to a top 25 university that had a perfectly nice campus but didn't have any of the bells and whistles many schools have now. Didn't even have air conditioning or an elevator for a 5th floor walk up. It's turned into an arms race to out do one another. I'd be happy paying less for a more bare-boned approach.

Now, to a schools credit there is tons of info available online about academics and the people on tours are there for all different academic interests. But most will spend some time on what makes their education different from others. As you go on more tours you'll hear from your tour guide - "we were rated one of the best schools for our food service." Every school says it. It became a running joke with us.

Comment

You are right....look what happened overnight to the college that Bernie’s sanders wife was running!

Comment

#1 rule - it should be your kids' dream, not yours. They have to want it, a lot.
                          #2 rule - it may not be a realistic dream; try and figure that out by late middle school and adjust accordingly
                          #3 rule - don't expect financial benefits or make substantive financial sacrifices for club soccer. If it a scholarship happens, you're a lottery winner.
                          Great points, well said. thank you.

Comment

You are right....look what happened overnight to the college that Bernie’s sanders wife was running!
                            Where do i apply to trump university? I heard its great.

Comment

Where do i apply to trump university? I heard its great.
                              Be patient. De vos is getting rid of those pesky anti fraud regulations and then it can reopen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X