Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 3 > Florida

Notices

Florida Discussions about Florida soccer.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered-J View Post
Thanks for the candid responses. We are still early in the competitive process. I heard another parent this evening complaining about parents on her DA team this evening. I said the solution was to grow local soccer leagues. Kids shouldn't have to travel to get competitive quality play.

Better coaching and each reasonably sized city could have their own decent competitive league. And from what I've seen while club soccer is indeed better than rec soccer I'm not convinced it has much better coaching on the whole.

It seems like each club has a few good coaches and then a bunch of very mediocre ones.
Like traveling to Chicago at age 11...Boy I hope my kid goes pro
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The colleges aren't supposed to be using race, economic level, or zip code but they do to keep the diversity balanced to a tee. UF and FSU have become big business and out-of-state students will be admitted at a high percentage to get back the exact 23-25% of out-of-state fall freshmen enrollment.
While you are an idiot, you are at least persistent.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
While you are an idiot, you are at least persistent.
I knew a team of 10 year olds that went to South America. Ridiculous !!! I'd pull my kid off that team if that was me.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Because outside of big football and basketball (that et big $ from TV and advertising) every other sport costs schools money. Sometimes schools have to prioritize and make tough choices. It's hard enough to have enough female athletes to counter football. Add in soccer and there's an additional hurdle. There are 100 fewer men's D1 programs than women's, so those are not the only schools opting out of men's soccer
What women's sports could be added for UF and FSU to gain mens soccer to balance?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
What women's sports could be added for UF and FSU to gain mens soccer to balance?
UF will never have a men's soccer team. UF is the quintessential southern college - its all about football, and they aren't about to change that, and they very definitely would never spend a penny on men's soccer. Women's , sure, but since soccer is universally viewed as a game for foreigners and kids who can't play real sports UF will never have a men's team.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
UF will never have a men's soccer team. UF is the quintessential southern college - its all about football, and they aren't about to change that, and they very definitely would never spend a penny on men's soccer. Women's , sure, but since soccer is universally viewed as a game for foreigners and kids who can't play real sports UF will never have a men's team.

Sad and true.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
At UF, over fifty percent of the students getting their graduate degrees are international students. UF is not a teaching university and only cares about research money. Football isn't as big as it once was at UF and the students might prefer going to watch soccer in the future.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
At UF, over fifty percent of the students getting their graduate degrees are international students. UF is not a teaching university and only cares about research money. Football isn't as big as it once was at UF and the students might prefer going to watch soccer in the future.
Lolololol

Nobody cares what the students want to watch!

They care what the big money alumni want and where they make their millions from TV and SEC conference money. It ainít soccer.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Lolololol

Nobody cares what the students want to watch!

They care what the big money alumni want and where they make their millions from TV and SEC conference money. It ainít soccer.
Alumni are changing and also how they make donations. Many UF and FSU alumni are not giving back to the schools and investing in their own and kids futures knowing their kids will not be getting into UF or FSU. UF and FSU have no choice but to try to become Ivy league type schools because of their poor locations. UCF and USF have the big I-4 corridor money rolling in. UCF has its downtown new campus, new medical campus, and at the main campus is clearing more land for new buildings and living areas with lazy river pools. UF and FSU can catch up to UCF and USF in the future with adding men's soccer.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

UF has been begging for money every week. The newest pitch is having a bat named after the person if they donate thousands. The bats will be sent out into the night to spread their wings like the graduates.