Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's not as simple as what playing time is expected at a certain age. It also depends a lot on what type of program you have signed up to. Is it rec, travel, premier or academy? At rec level playing time should be equal all the time, no compromise! Town Travel should be close to but not quite equal, better players will play more but all players should be given at least half a game. At Premier level parents and players of U12+ are told before signing up that 'playing time is not guaranteed'. You have to earn the right to be on the field through your attitude and performance in practice and then your time on the field. I coach a U12, U13 and U14 team and I will always give my players a chance to play. However, having a roster of 18 players at U13 (17 players for 10 outfield positions) means some players don't get as much time as others. There will always be people who are unhappy at this but at the end of the day it's what you signed up for. The flip side is that you also get parents who moan when weaker players see too much field time because they feel they are negatively impacting the team.

The point is, once you get to a certain level and certain age, competition for places becomes a real thing. The bonus is it drives players to perform harder in practice and in games to make sure they get the field time.
    Agree. Parents should try to figure out what is the correct level for their kids. On U12 and above, playing time is not guaranteed but earned. But the coaches need to be upfront about it and talk to parents/kids and let them know what they need to do to earn more time on the filed.. Sadly some of the time its just the club taking a check but knowing the kid is at the wrong level. Parents do your due diligence before joining. Ask around.

Comment

Agree. Parents should try to figure out what is the correct level for their kids. On U12 and above, playing time is not guaranteed but earned. But the coaches need to be upfront about it and talk to parents/kids and let them know what they need to do to earn more time on the filed.. Sadly some of the time its just the club taking a check but knowing the kid is at the wrong level. Parents do your due diligence before joining. Ask around.
      not at ow its who you know = amount of playing time you get!

Comment

I agree except in my kids case it’s not u12 yet and piddly play will make it impossible ti keep up. Kid has friends on team and to leave in September/October is so awkward and expensive. Kid is the type who plays 1000 times better aftwr warming up a few minutes. Sitting on a cold bench for 20 before getting in 5 mins each half isn’t cutting it. Some run out once for a drink. All about the almighty win with elementary students? Who wants to get up ***** early and drive on weekend mornings to not play?

Comment

I agree except in my kids case it’s not u12 yet and piddly play will make it impossible ti keep up. Kid has friends on team and to leave in September/October is so awkward and expensive. Kid is the type who plays 1000 times better aftwr warming up a few minutes. Sitting on a cold bench for 20 before getting in 5 mins each half isn’t cutting it. Some run out once for a drink. All about the almighty win with elementary students? Who wants to get up ***** early and drive on weekend mornings to not play?
          already been said, but after this fall you might want to start kicking and screaming and get out of the club, maybe with a partial refund. I have a kid (HS age) who's also the same in regards to needing time on the field to warm-up, so I know what that's like.

Comment

already been said, but after this fall you might want to start kicking and screaming and get out of the club, maybe with a partial refund. I have a kid (HS age) who's also the same in regards to needing time on the field to warm-up, so I know what that's like.
            I dont' know what FSA's payment structure but the clubs we've been with the last big payment is usually late November/December-ish. OP should start taking his kid to other clubs NOW (ask to attend some practices at other local clubs, go watch some games and watch the coaching), find a better spot and don't make the last payment. Technically you're bound by the contract, but by then they've gotten probably 2/3 of their money and don't want a scene.

Comment

The dream that was sold to parents around 20 years ago when " premier" and pay to play started gaining traction is the foundation for the reality of today. The lack of playing time is just a consequence of a system encouraged and supported by parents. And since then, they have doubled down time after time, putting their money in place , creating more teams more leagues , more organizations, more travel, higher costs etc.

Youth soccer is not unique , the trend has also been there in other Youth activities , but nothing like the expansion of youth soccer. If ever the phrase" buyer beware" was appropriate, it is with Youth soccer. Today's parents, you were set up like a bowling pin by many other parents over the last 20 years with their actions. Good Luck.

Comment

The dream that was sold to parents around 20 years ago when " premier" and pay to play started gaining traction is the foundation for the reality of today. The lack of playing time is just a consequence of a system encouraged and supported by parents. And since then, they have doubled down time after time, putting their money in place , creating more teams more leagues , more organizations, more travel, higher costs etc.

Youth soccer is not unique , the trend has also been there in other Youth activities , but nothing like the expansion of youth soccer. If ever the phrase" buyer beware" was appropriate, it is with Youth soccer. Today's parents, you were set up like a bowling pin by many other parents over the last 20 years with their actions. Good Luck.
                this message brought to you by the director of CJSA. Dude - get your feet off the desk and start doing something

Comment

Sounded odd that a few of you said your kid needs time on the field to warm up. But my club soccer playing kid (also hs age) seemed to stand around a lot in the first game this year while the travel players they played with years ago looked impressive and like they had a lot more spring in their step. Fast forward a few games though and now my kid has the deft touch and is the playmaker and the others look more like the travel players of old. So I guess i can see what you were saying about warming up.

For the OP, stick it out this year as you're already out most of the outlay for the year. Tell the kid to make every touch count at practice and make it obvious to the coach that they deserve more playing time (and get out in the yard 30 minutes a day to improve - and get out in front of the ipod or computer). Next year find a good smaller club with decent facilities, winter training, honest and decent coaching etc where they appreciate the kids talents. If the kids heart is in it and they don't get discouraged, the cream rises to the top.

Comment

Sounded odd that a few of you said your kid needs time on the field to warm up. But my club soccer playing kid (also hs age) seemed to stand around a lot in the first game this year while the travel players they played with years ago looked impressive and like they had a lot more spring in their step. Fast forward a few games though and now my kid has the deft touch and is the playmaker and the others look more like the travel players of old. So I guess i can see what you were saying about warming up.
                    Except that my kid is a club player too. Boy you're a d-bag. But please carry on with your dopey observations.

Comment

Except that my kid is a club player too. Boy you're a d-bag. But please carry on with your dopey observations.
                      Who said anything about your kid not being a club player?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X