Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tryout Season already here

Clubs are pushing these things earlier and earlier and some were supposed to have begun this past week. It is crazy to think that we need to have tryouts in early March but apparently this is what we need to do to make teams for next year.

What's the general consensus on whether to attend another club's tryouts or not? If you're kid is top 2/3rds of the team, you get decent feedback and they offer good options at older ages do you just assume you're best bet is to stay put? Do you go out to see if you can have an option "just in case?" I've herd stories of clubs sending kids/parents to other rivals tryouts as spies, which sounds absurd except that i know they do it.

How on earth did kids playing sports become so complicated?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Clubs are pushing these things earlier and earlier and some were supposed to have begun this past week. It is crazy to think that we need to have tryouts in early March but apparently this is what we need to do to make teams for next year.

What's the general consensus on whether to attend another club's tryouts or not? If you're kid is top 2/3rds of the team, you get decent feedback and they offer good options at older ages do you just assume you're best bet is to stay put? Do you go out to see if you can have an option "just in case?" I've herd stories of clubs sending kids/parents to other rivals tryouts as spies, which sounds absurd except that i know they do it.

As they get older it's tougher and tougher to keep teams together.

Comment

As they get older it's tougher and tougher to keep teams together.
      Or, clubs are nervous of losing kids to better clubs and try to lock them down and make them pay before other clubs hold their tryouts.

Comment

Clubs start holding tryouts earlier each year for 2 reasons. Once players are in season with their club, gettting kids to attend a session and miss their own teams practice often leads to bad feelings in their current club, and 2-early tryouts are usually the beginning of a series of evaluations. Most of the bigger clubs are not looking for whole teams to join them, but they are looking for those stand out players. They will invite those players in multiple times before sending an invite. Holding trials early gives the club the opportunity to see the player a few times

If you are happy with your child’s training and development, you should stay with your club. If your child is no longer challenged, it’s time to move on

Comment

Yup - i think clubs usually (one would hope) talk to parents of bubble players before asking for the down payment for returnees. Then they bring in new kids to train and look for more potential kids at tryouts to see if they can improve the team with a few new players.

Comment

I'm a big believer in reassessing every year. We made the mistake of assuming all was well for the next year (my kid was happy, always started, really good coaching, nice parents). Then the team blew up in spectacular unexpected fashion and we were scrambling. In other words having a Plan B is a good idea even if you wind up not needing it.

It's also important to speak with your player about what they really want. They might want to push themselves into something higher; they might want to scale back. Dont assume you know what your player wants.

Before requesting a tryout go watch other teams you might be interested in. You'll get a good sense of the coaching, skill level and competition.

I think if you're worried a club is sending spies or will take it out on your kid you should be asking why you're with that club at all

Comment

You hit on something that has always made me so angry. My daughter used to play for Clarkstown. I brought her to a World Class tryout because all her friends played for WC and she was hoping to join them. Well guess who was standing actually filming the tryout from beyond the fence of the field complex but my daughters coaches mother. We were in shock. Never returned to that club after that

Comment

You hit on something that has always made me so angry. My daughter used to play for Clarkstown. I brought her to a World Class tryout because all her friends played for WC and she was hoping to join them. Well guess who was standing actually filming the tryout from beyond the fence of the field complex but my daughters coaches mother. We were in shock. Never returned to that club after that
                Jesus. Filming the tryouts so she could sell people out with the clarkstown club officials? Was she trying to get her kid bumped up to the top team or something? That is really messed up.

Comment

Jesus. Filming the tryouts so she could sell people out with the clarkstown club officials? Was she trying to get her kid bumped up to the top team or something? That is really messed up.
                  The post says that was coaches mother. Sounds like a great family.

Comment

No such thing as Spring

Clubs announcing tryouts in Feb/Mar before the season has even started. Can't do tryouts before a certain date? Well let's just call it a ID session then. It's an absolute joke.

Players haven't touched a ball for their current club and are already off at other tryouts. Basically a coaches job in Spring these days involves inviting outside kids to practice with their current team.

For top level coaches it becomes an environment where you can't work properly with the team you formed for the current year because you are constantly accommodating players from other clubs.

On the flip side the coaches working with the second tier are consistently missing their top players from practices and are working with lower numbers than anticipated/planned for.

All chasing the best kids no matter what the moral cost. All chasing the real important factor. The cost to the family. That next $2-$3k. Absurd.

Until US Soccer actually bothers to zoom in on the youth game then the landscape is going to continue on a downward spiral. Problem is they just don't care enough to do it.

Comment

In the good old days when most state soccer organizations controlled most of the teams, it was easy to put restrictions on tryouts and clubs would stick to it. In fact they'd all the jam the tryouts together in like the same week so families would have to pick and chose what they went to. Now, with so many leagues, even if your kid might be restricted in one league but the team they want is in a different league the restrictions don't apply.

Comment

Clubs announcing tryouts in Feb/Mar before the season has even started. Can't do tryouts before a certain date? Well let's just call it a ID session then. It's an absolute joke.

Players haven't touched a ball for their current club and are already off at other tryouts. Basically a coaches job in Spring these days involves inviting outside kids to practice with their current team.

For top level coaches it becomes an environment where you can't work properly with the team you formed for the current year because you are constantly accommodating players from other clubs.

On the flip side the coaches working with the second tier are consistently missing their top players from practices and are working with lower numbers than anticipated/planned for.

All chasing the best kids no matter what the moral cost. All chasing the real important factor. The cost to the family. That next $2-$3k. Absurd.

Until US Soccer actually bothers to zoom in on the youth game then the landscape is going to continue on a downward spiral. Problem is they just don't care enough to do it.
                        It’s a rush to get the best players so when they go to college they can take credit for it

Comment

It’s a rush to get the best players so when they go to college they can take credit for it
                          LOL yup. Player plays with Club A for 10 years and then switches to Club B for 2 and suddenly Club B is like "look at how well we did developing this kid who is now signing a NIL. Kudos to us. Parents, the line starts at the left and its $4k per player."

Comment

yes and I see the writing on the wall with my kid. we are merely a body on a da team. minimal playing time. I have asked for feedback and been ignored. Is there any repercussions of trying out elsewhere now to leave our options open. there is no transparency on their end.

Comment

WHat is the worst thing that could happen? If you're D is not playing much, what more can they do? I say find a team that might be FUN for her where she can play. Play HS ball if she's that age or do another club if she's at the younger part of the DA spectrum. Maybe a shot of energy from having fun could reinvigorate her game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X