Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2021 - Predictions for June 15?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I suspect you must be a club coach by the way you react to any suggestion that scholarships can be reduced. It ruins your marketing. There are countless sources, including the NCAA’s own data, that shows that large soccer scholarships that cover most if not all the costs of college are very rare and that scholarship amounts granted can and do change over time (outside of Power 5 schools, which while they guarantee 4 year scholarships also don’t necessarily offer large scholarships on average). This is one reason why there are so many transfer student-athletes as they move around from college to college looking for a better deal when their scholarship or aid gets reduced. And yes while player performance is a factor, a lot of this are the whims of the coach. Even if they are good performers, the coach gambles that players are too comfortable to leave their college if they reduce their scholarship so they can free up money for the latest recruits. And they need to do that because as a non-revenue sport, the majority of programs cannot fully fund their scholarships. I know this because my D plays D1 and I have relatives who work for colleges, including athletic departments. Seen it firsthand.
    This is good information. Okay, so which positions on the field get the most $$? Is there data on that?

Comment

If you choose a school solely based on soccer you are an idiot.
      Really? Would you take a job based upon the food from a food truck outside the building? You are using your idea of what an apple is to make a decision about oranges. D1 is an all consuming job. Your kid ends up eating, sleeping and breathing it. If you refuse to accept that fact you take the very real risk of setting your kid up for all manner of unpleasantness. If you don't want your kid to prioritize the scholarship, that's your prerogative but don't for one moment think that there aren't consequences to that decision. Getting their money cut may actually be the least of them. It all still comes back to a targeting failure. Stop trying to make it as though everyone's kid ends up failing if they go D1. That usually only happens when you reach.

Comment

How is educational reputation being a top consideration a "problem?" This is for college, an educational environment, right? Unless you are a trust fund kid/family, any parent should help his/her child get into the right environment to succeed in school, on the field and socially. It doesn't always happen the first time around so kids need to transfer.
        No, it's a work environment where you go to school part time. The job is the first priority. If that is not your cup of tea, that's fine but that's the reality of the situation. Don't go chasing scholarships if that's not what you want for your kid. Trying to use soccer to leverage into reach academic school can really backfire unless the soccer program is more like a safety school for your kid. Just the reality of the situation.

Comment

Really? Would you take a job based upon the food from a food truck outside the building? You are using your idea of what an apple is to make a decision about oranges. D1 is an all consuming job. Your kid ends up eating, sleeping and breathing it. If you refuse to accept that fact you take the very real risk of setting your kid up for all manner of unpleasantness. If you don't want your kid to prioritize the scholarship, that's your prerogative but don't for one moment think that there aren't consequences to that decision. Getting their money cut may actually be the least of them. It all still comes back to a targeting failure. Stop trying to make it as though everyone's kid ends up failing if they go D1. That usually only happens when you reach.
          Well why take a job if the salary sucks? If the "salary" is free college classes that the "employee" can not actually attend or benefit from, that is a crappy salary.

Comment

I suspect you must be a club coach by the way you react to any suggestion that scholarships can be reduced. It ruins your marketing. There are countless sources, including the NCAA’s own data, that shows that large soccer scholarships that cover most if not all the costs of college are very rare and that scholarship amounts granted can and do change over time (outside of Power 5 schools, which while they guarantee 4 year scholarships also don’t necessarily offer large scholarships on average). This is one reason why there are so many transfer student-athletes as they move around from college to college looking for a better deal when their scholarship or aid gets reduced. And yes while player performance is a factor, a lot of this are the whims of the coach. Even if they are good performers, the coach gambles that players are too comfortable to leave their college if they reduce their scholarship so they can free up money for the latest recruits. And they need to do that because as a non-revenue sport, the majority of programs cannot fully fund their scholarships. I know this because my D plays D1 and I have relatives who work for colleges, including athletic departments. Seen it firsthand.
            Kid's really don't transfer from schools where they are finding a whole lot of athletic success at and coaches aren't nearly as whimsical as you are painting. A lot depends on the status of the program. When it's successful at whatever level it is at, usually the coach doesn't need to change things up radically. When it is not that's when coaches get fired and new ones come in needing to shake up the roster. Still all comes back to targeting.

Comment

No, it's a work environment where you go to school part time. The job is the first priority. If that is not your cup of tea, that's fine but that's the reality of the situation. Don't go chasing scholarships if that's not what you want for your kid. Trying to use soccer to leverage into reach academic school can really backfire unless the soccer program is more like a safety school for your kid. Just the reality of the situation.
              Sure. I would not want my kid to get into a school that was over her head educationally, either. But if they can do both (excel at soccer and their part time job, school), why not get the best you can with both in mind? Didn't need to chase anything. All of the scholarships landed at her feet. She was lucky to have many choices; still does.

Comment

Well why take a job if the salary sucks? If the "salary" is free college classes that the "employee" can not actually attend or benefit from, that is a crappy salary.
                Not saying it isn't just that it's not your job to convince everyone using inaccurate statements. The transfer rate amongst athletes usually isn't really all that much different from that of the rest of the student body. At most programs the turnover rate is 1, maybe 2, a year (often times none) out of the 6-7 they bring in each year. Kids leave schools for all sorts of reasons but they typically can be tied back to unrealistic expectations during the decision making process. If you want to combat the chance of a transfer, focus on making as good a decision as possible factoring in the realities of the situation.

Comment

See, this is an idiot.

While a kid is eating, sleeping and breathing it do they also go to school?

When they’re done eating, sleeping and breathing it don’t 99% of those kids need to get a job?

Comment

This is good information. Okay, so which positions on the field get the most $$? Is there data on that?
                    I’m not aware of data on that, but it probably varies by coach and their style of play and how many quality recruits are available for the positions they are primarily recruiting for that particular year.

Comment

See, this is an idiot.

When they’re done eating, sleeping and breathing it don’t 99% of those kids need to get a job?
                      Is there any data on D1 athlete employment rates and average starting earnings/10yr earnings like they have for individual colleges’ grads as a whole? Do D1 athletes really have to major in basket weaving because they have no time due to their sports “job”?

Is the D1 job grind that bad at mid to low D1s too or mostly just the top 50? Top 100? Mine is currently in the recruiting process and has at least interest from the whole spectrum. It’s hard to sift through it all when you’re 16, like almost every school and don’t really even know what you want to major in yet but are an excellent student. Honestly, she’s feeling a bit overwhelmed. One thing she does look at is the majors of the rostered players to get an idea what majors are doable while playing at that school. Any other advice?

Comment

See, this is an idiot.

You are arguing the wrong point. The reality of whether or not kid on scholarship eats, sleeps and breaths their sport is not the same as whether or not that is a good choice. The former is a fact, the later is an opinion.

Comment

Is there any data on D1 athlete employment rates and average starting earnings/10yr earnings like they have for individual colleges’ grads as a whole? Do D1 athletes really have to major in basket weaving because they have no time due to their sports “job”?

Is the D1 job grind that bad at mid to low D1s too or mostly just the top 50? Top 100? Mine is currently in the recruiting process and has at least interest from the whole spectrum. It’s hard to sift through it all when you’re 16, like almost every school and don’t really even know what you want to major in yet but are an excellent student. Honestly, she’s feeling a bit overwhelmed. One thing she does look at is the majors of the rostered players to get an idea what majors are doable while playing at that school. Any other advice?
                          My D plays in D1 so first it isn’t like a “job”. You don’t start at 8am and finish at 6pm like someone with a real job. You aren’t doing soccer 40+ hours a week like a full-time job. You do however spend a lot of time on it and that can impact your study time. Based on what my D tells me, 20-25 hrs a week in season and 10-15 hrs a week in the off-season with a lot of that time conditioning (which a lot of students do even if they weren’t playing a sport). You have a responsibility to the team, but it’s really no different than the responsibilities that students have to their schoolwork or other extracurricular activities. If you show up and perform well on the soccer field and you are keeping your grades up, that is all that is expected of you. Just like everything in life, there is always some politics and drama, but if you keep your head down and focus on what you need to do, your school experience can be as normal as any other student.

As for selecting majors, frankly I think athletes are as diverse and clueless as any other student. Some are smart and know what they want, buy many aren’t. My D is an engineering major and has a good job offer, but I’m certain that more than half her team are in some “ology” major that won’t pay well. It hasn’t been easy being in a demanding major and playing soccer, but she made it work. It took some creativity and sacrifice and there were some tearful phone calls home early on where she wasn’t sure it would work out. My best advice is to decide majors early on and have your D sit down with her academic advisor and plot out which courses she needs to do and which semesters she needs to take them while working around her soccer schedule. And be upfront with the coach about it so they can work with you.

Comment

It's all relative. The kid who has the talent to play for a low level program is going to have to work just as hard as the kid going to a top level one. Unlike at the D3 level where it is typical for many other factors to come to play in a coaches tenure, at the D1 level coaches keep their jobs based upon their results. It's a competitive environment no matter where the program sits in the rankings. Surest way for a D1 coach to end up getting fired is to intentionally setting the bar lower than everyone else his team is competing against. That being as it may, would you send your kid into their first job telling them to prioritize their side gig over it? Sounds like some of you would.

Comment

My D plays in D1 so first it isn’t like a “job”. You don’t start at 8am and finish at 6pm like someone with a real job. You aren’t doing soccer 40+ hours a week like a full-time job. You do however spend a lot of time on it and that can impact your study time. Based on what my D tells me, 20-25 hrs a week in season and 10-15 hrs a week in the off-season with a lot of that time conditioning (which a lot of students do even if they weren’t playing a sport). You have a responsibility to the team, but it’s really no different than the responsibilities that students have to their schoolwork or other extracurricular activities. If you show up and perform well on the soccer field and you are keeping your grades up, that is all that is expected of you. Just like everything in life, there is always some politics and drama, but if you keep your head down and focus on what you need to do, your school experience can be as normal as any other student.

As for selecting majors, frankly I think athletes are as diverse and clueless as any other student. Some are smart and know what they want, buy many aren’t. My D is an engineering major and has a good job offer, but I’m certain that more than half her team are in some “ology” major that won’t pay well. It hasn’t been easy being in a demanding major and playing soccer, but she made it work. It took some creativity and sacrifice and there were some tearful phone calls home early on where she wasn’t sure it would work out. My best advice is to decide majors early on and have your D sit down with her academic advisor and plot out which courses she needs to do and which semesters she needs to take them while working around her soccer schedule. And be upfront with the coach about it so they can work with you.
                              You are actually wrong. While the offseason does drop down to somewhere under 15 hours per week, between all of the countable and uncountable activities they are obligated to participate in it's easily 40+ hours per week in season. NCAA's own stats back that up. I bet you are underestimating things like travel and the athletic training room.

Comment

That's also my experience, having spent a fair amount of time around the women's team at the D1 university I went to. And although I didn't hang out with the men's team, I saw them at the bars often enough to know they had a little free time on their hands (and unlike the girls, they were/are a national powerhouse).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X