Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    In theory, that's fine. In practice, though, it misses the mark. If there teams that weren't their equal being excluded, your point would fit. That's not the case, though.
    Which teams do you feel are being left out as an equal? Be honest. Oakwood, Seacoast, SSS, NYSC, countless LI teams are all NPL level teams and should be. NEFC was in the ECNL for a year under the Scorpions name and they were competitive. They took a gamble on GDA which I wonder if they regret.
    On the flip side, not every team in the NE ECNL is a home run. I believe that FSA needs a reorg. If they combined with Oakwood it would be a benefit to both teams. But that’s not an ECNL issue, that’s a club ownership issue. Time will tell if FSA’s hand will be forced to make some changes. Albertson was a bottom dweller and was replaced with SUSA, which is much more competitive. The checks and balances will work out the kinks to keep the league strong. Adding new teams will water down the product.

Comment

Which teams do you feel are being left out as an equal? Be honest. Oakwood, Seacoast, SSS, NYSC, countless LI teams are all NPL level teams and should be. NEFC was in the ECNL for a year under the Scorpions name and they were competitive. They took a gamble on GDA which I wonder if they regret.
      On the flip side, not every team in the NE ECNL is a home run. I believe that FSA needs a reorg. If they combined with Oakwood it would be a benefit to both teams. But that’s not an ECNL issue, that’s a club ownership issue. Time will tell if FSA’s hand will be forced to make some changes. Albertson was a bottom dweller and was replaced with SUSA, which is much more competitive. The checks and balances will work out the kinks to keep the league strong. Adding new teams will water down the product.
      this is a non issue. teams in the ECNL are added based on how the founders think they will impact their ability to recruit players they want. after that , they dont care. The GDA adds teams out of geographic necessity. None of this has anything to do with quality. Parents wallets/egos largely determine who makes up players 5 thru 20 on most rosters.

Comment

But, those clubs would be better if they were in ECNL earlier. And, second, there's as many ECNL clubs that shouldn't be there that are. Except for PDA/Stars, all the teams can go into a bucket and you really can't pick out what's what.

I get that some of the ECNL clubs may take offense to that, but that's the reality.

Comment

Except for PDA/Stars, all the teams can go into a bucket and you really can't pick out what's what.
          I agree with you on their top teams; their second teams aren't anything special and in a couple of age groups, just not good.

Comment

But, those clubs would be better if they were in ECNL earlier. And, second, there's as many ECNL clubs that shouldn't be there that are. Except for PDA/Stars, all the teams can go into a bucket and you really can't pick out what's what.

I get that some of the ECNL clubs may take offense to that, but that's the reality.
            That’s silly to say. Yes, there are some weaker clubs, but overall, the ECNL is heads and tails above the GDA. In the NE, it isn’t even a conversation. Top clubs in the NE compete very well nationally. PDA and Stars are the top ones, but CFC and SUSA also do well across multiple age groups.

Comment

this is a non issue. teams in the ECNL are added based on how the founders think they will impact their ability to recruit players they want. after that , they dont care. The GDA adds teams out of geographic necessity. None of this has anything to do with quality. Parents wallets/egos largely determine who makes up players 5 thru 20 on most rosters.
              Ahhhh. Another parent whose kid didn’t make it and thinks that by cutting other kids and clubs down, it somehow means their kid is less lousy. Name a top club not in the Northeast ECNL? I can think of two decent clubs. NEFC and Penn Fusion. Both were in it, rolled the dice and would kill to get back in. They’ve pretty much got it right.

Comment

That’s silly to say. Yes, there are some weaker clubs, but overall, the ECNL is heads and tails above the GDA. In the NE, it isn’t even a conversation. Top clubs in the NE compete very well nationally. PDA and Stars are the top ones, but CFC and SUSA also do well across multiple age groups.
                Sorry, and I know that hurts, but take out the two Mafia members and they'd all compete. Those teams would be weakened as some wouldn't travel to them if there was another option nearby (and that I know to be true as I know people who do).

There's no reason to drive from the middle of Massachusetts to play a Continental or whomever if you have something nearby. Other than pride, of course.

Comment

Ahhhh. Another parent whose kid didn’t make it and thinks that by cutting other kids and clubs down, it somehow means their kid is less lousy. Name a top club not in the Northeast ECNL? I can think of two decent clubs. NEFC and Penn Fusion. Both were in it, rolled the dice and would kill to get back in. They’ve pretty much got it right.
                  What you fail to grasp is the teams in GDA aren't really any worse than some of the teams in ECNL. So, why drive that far to play a team which has someone the equal nearby?

Comment

i dont get this "except for PDA Stars narrative". If you are a destination Club taking other clubs talent, then it strikes me that unless you are taking those players and putting them into colleges and YNTs that would otherwise not factor, then I get it. Thats not really the case tho.

What makes a team "belong" in a league is not necessarily what makes a great college player. It seems to mem that too many people define a club basis results on the field. They then equate clubs with big player bases # of commits to much smaller ones or they dont look at the quality of said commits.

Compare NYCFC/WCFC or Matchfit with PDA or Stars over the last 3 or so years. Results will give you one answer. Commits and college success to date may not give the same picture.

So yes, if you are all about Club results, then have at it . If the goal was to develop better players, the system would be open, talent based and have many levels within it that were determined by ability and nothing else. there would be local play to limit cost and travel. There would be scholarships for elite talent and kids would have to earn there way up the ladder AND deal with slipping down it.

Will not happen because this is just a business disguised by Club owners pretending its something else.

Comment

i dont get this "except for PDA Stars narrative". If you are a destination Club taking other clubs talent, then it strikes me that unless you are taking those players and putting them into colleges and YNTs that would otherwise not factor, then I get it. Thats not really the case tho.

What makes a team "belong" in a league is not necessarily what makes a great college player. It seems to mem that too many people define a club basis results on the field. They then equate clubs with big player bases # of commits to much smaller ones or they dont look at the quality of said commits.

Compare NYCFC/WCFC or Matchfit with PDA or Stars over the last 3 or so years. Results will give you one answer. Commits and college success to date may not give the same picture.

So yes, if you are all about Club results, then have at it . If the goal was to develop better players, the system would be open, talent based and have many levels within it that were determined by ability and nothing else. there would be local play to limit cost and travel. There would be scholarships for elite talent and kids would have to earn there way up the ladder AND deal with slipping down it.

Will not happen because this is just a business disguised by Club owners pretending its something else.
                      but it is as you say the top talent gets scholarships, they also go to college for less
                      the only thing not to your liking is the travel

Comment

What you fail to grasp is the teams in GDA aren't really any worse than some of the teams in ECNL. So, why drive that far to play a team which has someone the equal nearby?
                        because they dont want to play against in state comp- thats how this whole nutty thing started years ago
                        lose to someone close by and lose half your team to them next try=out season
                        CT used to have great in state rivalries and a bunch of good teams

Comment

Sorry, and I know that hurts, but take out the two Mafia members and they'd all compete. Those teams would be weakened as some wouldn't travel to them if there was another option nearby (and that I know to be true as I know people who do).

There's no reason to drive from the middle of Massachusetts to play a Continental or whomever if you have something nearby. Other than pride, of course.
                          Travel in the NE of the ECNL is better than the GDA so not sure of your point. And the competition isn’t even close. Could the top GDA NE teams compete in the ECNL? Of course. But they’ve designed the league to make it better in terms of travel overall. They balance it out. Don’t forget that Albertson and NEFC used to be in the ECNL and didn’t fare well. Match Fit used to dominate the NPL (which became the GDA) and struggles in the ECNL.

There’s really no comparison between the two leagues. It’s also better run and offers more college exposure. THAT’S the truth.

Comment

because they dont want to play against in state comp- thats how this whole nutty thing started years ago
                            lose to someone close by and lose half your team to them next try=out season
                            CT used to have great in state rivalries and a bunch of good teams
                            It started to make teams and players better. Which it has. In state competition used to be fun, but it wasn’t good. CFC used to dominate then as well, but they struggled out of state. Now they compete regionally and nationally. They’ve clearly improved.

Don’t forget the problems in the old days. Two games in one day. Random cup draws. Tournaments had all the power to select teams or not. There were a dozen spread out events. Now there’s the ECNL events and the Academy events. Some might go to NPL Nationals. Much more condensed and helpful for the majority of kids, although a few do get missed and need to make a little more effort to be seen.

Comment

Travel in the NE of the ECNL is better than the GDA so not sure of your point. And the competition isn’t even close. Could the top GDA NE teams compete in the ECNL? Of course. But they’ve designed the league to make it better in terms of travel overall. They balance it out. Don’t forget that Albertson and NEFC used to be in the ECNL and didn’t fare well. Match Fit used to dominate the NPL (which became the GDA) and struggles in the ECNL.

There’s really no comparison between the two leagues. It’s also better run and offers more college exposure. THAT’S the truth.
                              Not sure what you are basing this on. NPL became ECNL regional.

My kids played with GDA and ECNL and the quality and number of scouts is better at GDA, including standard non-showcase games. For instance, in the quarterfinals of ECNL we only had 6 coaches whereas we never had less than 20 at GDA playoffs.

The competition is better in NE ECNL (at least compared to 2 years ago in GDA) - but that’s a regional exception - travel is the same, and we need to pay extra for a hotel.

Comment

Not sure what you are basing this on. NPL became ECNL regional.

My kids played with GDA and ECNL and the quality and number of scouts is better at GDA, including standard non-showcase games. For instance, in the quarterfinals of ECNL we only had 6 coaches whereas we never had less than 20 at GDA playoffs.

The competition is better in NE ECNL (at least compared to 2 years ago in GDA) - but that’s a regional exception - travel is the same, and we need to pay extra for a hotel.
                                So you played NPL which got a new “ECNL Regional” name so now you claim you played ECNL. Got it. Hopefully GDA had at least as many coaches as the ECNL/NPL of yesteryear. Otherwise you are paying way too much for your new brand.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X