Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not ours. ODP is an even bigger joke here than what it sounds like there in FL. B team players, practices used to be almost weekly, now it's sometimes only once a month! All the top players are in the top leagues and having no trouble getting recruited or NT looks if they're good.

- another poster with a dead state TS board
    Lol,, at least they get 1once a month. We get 2 weekends a year and a camp. Lolol
    And a tryout that consists of phone calls

Comment

ODP is a playing opportunity. In many states, it is a good way for kids that live in rural or urban areas to be exposed to higher level coaching and games. Most places don’t offer DA programs, or players live where it is difficult geographically to train weekly at a more advanced level. ODP was a helpful tool for players in the late 1980’s to early 2000’s when DA and ECNL programs didn’t exist. I don’t think anyone thinks that ODP is at the top of a development pyramid, or that all the best players participate, so what is the problem with kids using it to have more playing opportunities? If my child wasn’t good enough to play DA or to be selected to the top club team and ODP was an option I might sign him up.

The problem is it costs $700+ to go to Region camp...it’s a waste of money

Comment

Lol,, at least they get 1once a month. We get 2 weekends a year and a camp. Lolol
        And a tryout that consists of phone calls
        ^^^This^^^

Comment

Correct,as well as B players or kids that never went to tryouts on Top team for 03s and 04 is everyone that showed up at trials
          Heck- my daughter made first team and never went to a single event. She doesn’t even have the kit.

Comment

Is it any ore of a fraud then anything else in youth sports?

I mean, yes there are kids who will reap the benefits of ODP, DA, ECNL..., but let's be honest, those talented kids are far and few between. Teams need to fill out the rosters...at all levels and parents are sold on the idea that their kid can do it as well. Everything is about money in youth sports. Baseball, BAsketball, Softball...all have their own little ways of getting kids to that level and it cost $$$$.

Comment

I'm not naïve to know what ODP is in 2018. But for a kid that is 13 years old, its a cool experience. We would have paid the same amount of money for her to attend a college soccer camp, so what's the difference? She can now meet/play with some players that she normally competes against and build more relationships. Do I see this being anything that leads to anything bigger at 13 years old? Most likely not. She will get more opportunities from her ECNL team. Of course we are not with the best players in the state due to DA not allowing it and a-hole parents who talk down on it. Take it for what it is worth. Its a fun experience for the kids.
              This x100.

It's a fun experience for a 13 yo. Don't make it more than that. After 13, there are better options for serious players.

Comment

Heck- my daughter made first team and never went to a single event. She doesn’t even have the kit.

LOL, mine too! Quit, never went and still got an invite to Alabama.

Comment

Have any U.S. Club Soccer ID2 or PDP programs been running in Florida or the southeast? When and for what ages?
                  There was an ID2 in North Carolina a couple of months ago, not sure if any FL kids were invited.

Comment

There was an ID2 in North Carolina a couple of months ago, not sure if any FL kids were invited.
                    No FL ECNL kids worthy of ID2? Are the FL ECNL clubs identifying and sending their players to ID2 or how do they get scouted?

Comment

No FL ECNL kids worthy of ID2? Are the FL ECNL clubs identifying and sending their players to ID2 or how do they get scouted?
                      Response from DOC when asking about this opportunity, "What's ID2?"

Comment

LOL, mine too! Quit, never went and still got an invite to Alabama.
                        Yep Strickland at its finest

Comment

To the OP: when you say fraud what are you referring to? Will being part of ODP automatically get your child a roster spot an any college team they want? No it will not and neither will being part of DA/GDA/ECNL, etc. What are you wanting to get out of it? My daughter did this for a number of years until recently. She's about to go off to college and she's dialing things back a bit. Here's what you get from ODP: it's a great college-like experience, especially for the younger kids. There is no parent involvement and the kids are on their own when they make it to the state team. The coaching was great and many of the coaches are college coaches, so there is exposure. When the kids get older there are typically colleges scouting at the AL campus too. Even though it's not quite what it used to be, being in ODP and on a state team still gets the attention of college coaches. We have been told this by many coaches. We're at the tail end of all this with a child going off to play soccer in college. There's also something to be said about the kids player with other good players that they may not know all that well. Our daughter loved the ODP experience. One thing I've noticed is that when you see college rosters they are filled with players from all leagues, not just the tops ones. In the end, the kids all end up at a lot of the same schools. ODP was well worth the money. You will notice though the older players dropping out toward the end as the camps often conflict with college ID camps and other events. Our daughter dropped off near the end as she was playing ECNL and getting tons of exposure and great training already. For younger players or players not in a top league already, it's a great program.

Comment

This is our first year and we don’t know what Alabama will be like. What I do know is that it is cheap, it appeared to not be political. How could it be when players from different corners convene in hopes of making the pool and the the state team. So far the experience has been incredible. Playing with kids from all over the state, and new coaches has in essence created a completely different outlook for my son and really improved his quality of play. I’ll update after Alabama but I can’t imagine anything negative when the program is so affordable offering opportunities for kids that might not have access to a local DA or afford the expense of DA.

Comment

To the OP: when you say fraud what are you referring to? Will being part of ODP automatically get your child a roster spot an any college team they want? No it will not and neither will being part of DA/GDA/ECNL, etc. What are you wanting to get out of it? My daughter did this for a number of years until recently. She's about to go off to college and she's dialing things back a bit. Here's what you get from ODP: it's a great college-like experience, especially for the younger kids. There is no parent involvement and the kids are on their own when they make it to the state team. The coaching was great and many of the coaches are college coaches, so there is exposure. When the kids get older there are typically colleges scouting at the AL campus too. Even though it's not quite what it used to be, being in ODP and on a state team still gets the attention of college coaches. We have been told this by many coaches. We're at the tail end of all this with a child going off to play soccer in college. There's also something to be said about the kids player with other good players that they may not know all that well. Our daughter loved the ODP experience. One thing I've noticed is that when you see college rosters they are filled with players from all leagues, not just the tops ones. In the end, the kids all end up at a lot of the same schools. ODP was well worth the money. You will notice though the older players dropping out toward the end as the camps often conflict with college ID camps and other events. Our daughter dropped off near the end as she was playing ECNL and getting tons of exposure and great training already. For younger players or players not in a top league already, it's a great program.

Exactly right. My daughter has done it for 3 years. Last year she made the Region 3 team and went to the Interegional Event down in Boca. Great experiences for her in ODzp and exposure to college coaches. One of the coaches- major D-1 SEC school - has followed her for 2 years and is the school she is about to commit to. So ODP does offer value- especially for those who don’t have ECNL or DA available to them. The closest one to us is 5-6 hours a way.

Comment

I am 100% certain that 90% of these players didn't have their kid picked for the state team lololol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X