Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shin Splints

Hello Everyone, My 10 year old is playing soccer competitively now for about 2 years and lately with practice 3 times a week and some other things, it seems like they are playing almost every day. The problem I am having the last few weeks is them complaining about the shins hurting. I have been doing ice packs, advil and just ordered some inserts for the cleats. Any other advice?

Stretch the calves more.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Hello Everyone, My 10 year old is playing soccer competitively now for about 2 years and lately with practice 3 times a week and some other things, it seems like they are playing almost every day. The problem I am having the last few weeks is them complaining about the shins hurting. I have been doing ice packs, advil and just ordered some inserts for the cleats. Any other advice?
      He should take little break before it gets worse.

Comment

Mix in some exercises to strengthen both the front and back of legs. Kids who play a lot of soccer end up with poor muscle balance in their legs (stronger quad than hams, etc) and that causes problems. I guess this is also possible for 10 year olds.

Comment

Toe curls (stand on a towel and scrunch the towel with your toes) and heel drops (stand backwards on the edge of stair, lift one foot off and lower the heel of the other foot) should help.

Comment

My brother had Osgood-Schlatter disease from playing soccer which is technically more a knee issue than a shin issue, though the pain is effectively located high on the shin. That might be something to check out.

Comment

My brother had Osgood-Schlatter disease from playing soccer which is technically more a knee issue than a shin issue, though the pain is effectively located high on the shin. That might be something to check out.
              Thanks everyone for the input. Have tried shin ice packs and Advil but figured it would not really help too much. Will try a few of the exercises for now. With all the tryouts and practices on the schedule, looks like rest will have to be in June... crazy, they are only 10-11 and this is a lot of work already....

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. Have tried shin ice packs and Advil but figured it would not really help too much. Will try a few of the exercises for now. With all the tryouts and practices on the schedule, looks like rest will have to be in June... crazy, they are only 10-11 and this is a lot of work already....
                I will offer a word of caution that overuse is a major cause of them. Often, they start from Achilles issues/foot issues. So, stretching regimen is vital now as it's not going to get any better.

You mentioned ordering some inserts. Was that at the recommendation of a dr.? Not all inserts are the same and are made to solve different problems.

Comment

Not good that she's already suffering ailments. Some people are just genetically more prone to some things than others but constant use will exacerbate it. One of my kids had OS as well. It's a growing issue that can't be avoided but exercises/stretches/ice/advil to help reduce the discomfort. You can find lots of tips on line.

Comment

forgot - soccer cleats have lousy foot support, basically none. At a minimum take her to a store that has one of those foot-reading machines. A good insert (the right kind for the right issue) can really help. A podiatrist can help too, but they'll want to sell you $600 inserts.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X