Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regionals 2018

Who decided to have regionals in Hawaii?

Soccer is already expensive as is. Putting regionals in Hawaii, one of the more expensive places to travel to, is a slap in the face to fight against pay-to-play.

Airfare about $1000.
    Hotel for eight days $500.
    Coaches air/hotel $400
    Fee to US Soccer $100
    Food $300
    Vans $200

Over $2,500 per player. About 600 teams competing. Over $22 million dollars!

Entire boys teams have voted to pass on regionals this year if they win because of the cost.

When regionals are in Seattle or Boise you can cut your hotel short if you are eliminated. Can't do that in Hawaii.

It's not surprising. US Soccer doesn't seem to care about the kids or the game.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Soccer is already expensive as is. Putting regionals in Hawaii, one of the more expensive places to travel to, is a slap in the face to fight against pay-to-play.

Airfare about $1000.
    Coaches air/hotel $400
    Fee to US Soccer $100
    Food $300
    Vans $200

Entire boys teams have voted to pass on regionals this year if they win because of the cost.

When regionals are in Seattle or Boise you can cut your hotel short if you are eliminated. Can't do that in Hawaii.

Entire girls teams have opted out too. Your math is a little fuzzy but I get your point. OTOH, Hawaii teams have to dish out big bucks for every regional or ODP event. I guess letting them host once in a while is the right thing to do.

Comment

Entire girls teams have opted out too. Your math is a little fuzzy but I get your point. OTOH, Hawaii teams have to dish out big bucks for every regional or ODP event. I guess letting them host once in a while is the right thing to do.

It is understandable that Hawaii has to spend a lot of money to travel to every event/tournament. I am sure that makes it very expensive for them. It is their choice to live on an island.

The math above is not correct. There aren't 600 teams at regionals. It's 220 teams and estimated 4,000 players (source FWR website). Still at $2500 per player that is $10,000,000.00 of travel costs. You could cut that by 60% if you had it on the mainland.

I am sure US Soccer officials won't be worried about the kids that can't afford to travel while they are sitting by the pool charging another rum-colada drink to their expense account while applying suntan lotion.

Comment

1. Your math is off. It's actually more expensive than your estimate.

2. Fc Portland Ecnl who are not good flies to the east coast to play garbage teams and no one blinks an eye. Costs thousands per year to do dumb trips like that.

3. Thorns DA is pretty awful but they just spent 18k to fly and board their team to California to play a team that wouldn't even be top 5 in Oregon....subsidized? Waste of money and it won't be subsidized next year.

4. Regionals? 3k for a trip to Hawaii?? What in the actual hell...

Seems like everyone is really focused on how things look than actual logic.

Comment

It is understandable that Hawaii has to spend a lot of money to travel to every event/tournament. I am sure that makes it very expensive for them. It is their choice to live on an island.

The math above is not correct. There aren't 600 teams at regionals. It's 220 teams and estimated 4,000 players (source FWR website). Still at $2500 per player that is $10,000,000.00 of travel costs. You could cut that by 60% if you had it on the mainland.

I am sure US Soccer officials won't be worried about the kids that can't afford to travel while they are sitting by the pool charging another rum-colada drink to their expense account while applying suntan lotion.
          US Soccer doesn't care. They just don't want to have to go to Boise. Boise can be scorching hot. Hawaii is reliably sunny but not hot. Lots of great beaches, cocktails and food. Hotels have nice pools and tropical bars. Who cares about soccer or some kids that can't afford it.

Comment

I know some state associations give big bucks to support teams going to regionals. Something in the range of $4000-$6000 per team.

I assume OYSA is stepping up this year and giving big support to the teams going to regionals?

Comment

Airfare about $1000.
              Coaches air/hotel $400
              Fee to US Soccer $100
              Food $300
              Vans $200

As you know, Region IV decides where to have regionals. States put in a proposal to host and they must be able to have a minimum number of fields. The region changes up who the host state will be in order to make everything fair for all teams traveling from all over our region. Same could be said about Hawaii's teams always traveling to the mainland. Hawaii was announced in August 2017. Last time there was 2013. I had kids there in 2003 and 2008 as well as 2013. Now have a granddaughter that could go this year.

Yes. Hawaii is expensive and teams need to plan carefully, especially since our state has state cup later than many of the other states within or region. Makes it tough to rent rooms and transportation.

So tired of the "US Soccer doesn't seem to care about the kids or the game" whining. Not true. If you can't afford for your player to go, then you keep him/her off the team roster for state cup. If your team wins and can't go, then the finalist has the option to go in your team's place. If the finalist says, "No", then you pay the fines. Your team shouldn't enter state cup if it's not prepared to travel for the next level, and even the rare occasion of making it to Nationals. Your team has the option not to go. It happens. You pay fines to the region and OYSA for non-compliance. Your team could also face sanctions.

Comment

I know some state associations give big bucks to support teams going to regionals. Something in the range of $4000-$6000 per team.

I assume OYSA is stepping up this year and giving big support to the teams going to regionals?
                State Cup winners get $800 which doesn’t even cover the State Cup entry fee. The Timbers run the leagues and State Cup. They have the money and have no interest in giving back.

Teams get more for regionals when they win FWRL.

Comment

As you know, Region IV decides where to have regionals. States put in a proposal to host and they must be able to have a minimum number of fields. The region changes up who the host state will be in order to make everything fair for all teams traveling from all over our region. Same could be said about Hawaii's teams always traveling to the mainland. Hawaii was announced in August 2017. Last time there was 2013. I had kids there in 2003 and 2008 as well as 2013. Now have a granddaughter that could go this year.

Yes. Hawaii is expensive and teams need to plan carefully, especially since our state has state cup later than many of the other states within or region. Makes it tough to rent rooms and transportation.

So tired of the "US Soccer doesn't seem to care about the kids or the game" whining. Not true. If you can't afford for your player to go, then you keep him/her off the team roster for state cup. If your team wins and can't go, then the finalist has the option to go in your team's place. If the finalist says, "No", then you pay the fines. Your team shouldn't enter state cup if it's not prepared to travel for the next level, and even the rare occasion of making it to Nationals. Your team has the option not to go. It happens. You pay fines to the region and OYSA for non-compliance. Your team could also face sanctions.
                  You are being misleading. Hawaii is more expensive for EVERYONE outside Hawaii. Having a few travel for the many is far more sensible than the many traveling for the few. This is exactly the problem OYSA forces on everyone in the Metro area when teams are forced to travel to Medford etc.

You blowing off kids who can’t afford to travel and to literally unroster them is terrible. Your attitude exemplifies the pay to play model. Pathetic!

Comment

I should clarify that my daughter played for her California team in 2013 as we lived in Murietta at the time.

Comment

OYSA/timbers cough up a couple hundred bucks per team. That'll get each player a rice bowl and a gatorade after a game. Real generous if you ask me.

Low income families and kids can't might not be able to go but there are much worse things in life.

Comment

I am sure US Soccer doesn't care about the pay-to-play model. If I were them I would be more concerned about the pool bar and who is going to rub suntan lotion on my back.

Comment

I am sure US Soccer doesn't care about the pay-to-play model. If I were them I would be more concerned about the pool bar and who is going to rub suntan lotion on my back.
                          My understanding is that US Soccer charges a very high fee to get into Regionals and then mark up the hotel rooms substantially with stay and play.

Does US Soccer get a kick back on the hotel rooms they require teams to book through?

Comment

My understanding is that US Soccer charges a very high fee to get into Regionals and then mark up the hotel rooms substantially with stay and play.

Does US Soccer get a kick back on the hotel rooms they require teams to book through?
                            Most tournaments do so YES.

Comment

if there are 4,000 kids going, that's 1,000 hotel rooms for 8 nights. 8,000 hotel nights x $40 markup is a big number. Thanks US Soccer!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X