X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers Alliance Clubs vs Timbers/Thorns

Let's try to keep this thread civil.

TA Clubs: How do you feel about Timbers demanding players and picking apart teams because they have no feeder system besides you?

TA Clubs: How do you feel about a start up club like the thorns poaching players and claiming elitness due to their new fangled league?

When is anyone going to hold them accountable? Do you like the way you've been treated?

Clubs? Do you like the way you've been treated?

I find it fascinating that clubs who have been around for 10-30 years are just rolling over to a a start up with just for show coaches and arrogance.

As a parent, I find the idea that the local youth club somehow "owns" my kids, or their teammates, to be obnoxious.

We're no club hoppers. We have stayed with the same club for several. Otoh, were things to go south, we would certainly move. And if Timbers/Thorns to be interested, we would be as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

TA Clubs: How do you feel about Timbers demanding players and picking apart teams because they have no feeder system besides you?

TA Clubs: How do you feel about a start up club like the thorns poaching players and claiming elitness due to their new fangled league?

When is anyone going to hold them accountable? Do you like the way you've been treated?

I find it fascinating that clubs who have been around for 10-30 years are just rolling over to a a start up with just for show coaches and arrogance.

I bet this is a similar model to how clubs, and DA operates in other states as well. Where else would players feed from, but the local clubs.
      Nobody is forcing a player to move to the Timbers/Thorns program.

Comment

I bet this is a similar model to how clubs, and DA operates in other states as well. Where else would players feed from, but the local clubs.
        Nobody is forcing a player to move to the Timbers/Thorns program.
        They have to be forced. Nobody moves to Thornz Asylum by their own choice. No one with a brain, that is.

Comment

Best thing that OYSA could do is create specific territories for each club so that they can only have players that live in their territory. Then have 1 "elite" level club that consolidates the absolute best to play in regional/national games.

Comment

They have to be forced. Nobody moves to Thornz Asylum by their own choice. No one with a brain, that is.
            So you would move your player to another club because someone told you too? Thats pretty week...

Comment

Best thing that OYSA could do is create specific territories for each club so that they can only have players that live in their territory. Then have 1 "elite" level club that consolidates the absolute best to play in regional/national games.
              Its a player/parental decision as to what club they play for. Not anyone elses decision.

Comment

Curious how you define the term "civil"?

"Demanding", "poaching", "rolling over", etc.

Clubs boards voted to decide what path to take in opting to be/not be part of an alliance. Timbers did not demand players. Clubs can also leave the alliance.

All kids, all clubs, choose whom they want to try out for.- Go to a Timbers or Thorns Academy tryout and/or club(s) tryouts. I've seen plenty choose to go to different tryouts. This is no different than others who don't go to Timbers/Thorns tryouts. Teams change all the time. My son's team only had 1 original player left on it's U18 roster from when it was formed as an U11.- 5 new members from another club came to tryouts in U16 year. In the team's U14 year, only 7 remained. Who picked the team apart over all those years?

No one poached players. No one is 'rolling over."

Yes. Everything is fine. Kids are playing where they accepted to play. If they aren't happy during a current play year, they can contact other clubs to see if they can tryout. Otherwise, they can wait until the next club tryout season. Works fine. People have choices. This is how civility works.

Comment

What is your personal connection that causes you to resort to insulting young people?

Comment

Nobody cares anymore. We had a couple players from our club experiment with the thorns and it wasn’t a good experience.

The thorns interns trying to recruit players is annoying but not a big deal. It’s like trying to sell someone a used car nobody wants.

Comment

It’s been very disappointing. No longer an interesting option.

Comment

It’s been very disappointing. No longer an interesting option.
                        Please give a specific example.

Comment

Answers

I am from a TA club, and will try to answer a few questions

Timbers/Thorns do not demand players. Players are free to tryout for the DA/GDA on their own accord. The clubs still operate separately from the Timbers but cooperate with the Timbers organization to the benefit of the players. I suppose the history is WST and EST have been where most of the players come from, but both boys progrmas still remain some of the top teams when state cup rolls around. It show the system works and both WST, EST, DA are sending players on to college and a home grown player or two. I think FC PDX sent a few players to the DA last year?

I feel fine about the GDA. The Portland Timbers/Thorns has made a national travel model very affordable and is more inclusive than the ECNL. The Boys program is basically free. While OYSA fees have not increased much, the Portland Timbers/Thonrs have implemented both a DA/GDA program. The most generous person in soccer is MP and I think it makes people uneasy that his organization has made these programs accessible to everyone in a largely pay to play model.

I like the TA and don't feel like I have to hold the Timbers/Thorns accountable for anything. The TA clubs run themselves.

Not sure why you would say the TA clubs are rolling over. The TA clubs are doing well. The WT have a very nice three field lighted complex, the EST are opening a 3 field lighted complex and WST are still a top club. Seems like the TA clubs are doing just fine.

Comment

Nobody cares anymore. We had a couple players from our club experiment with the thorns and it wasn’t a good experience.

The thorns interns trying to recruit players is annoying but not a big deal. It’s like trying to sell someone a used car nobody wants.
                            Spot on.

Comment

Buyer Beware

There is big bucks in club soccer. Lots of jobs depend on parents paying for their kids to play. The DA/GDA takes money out of the pockets of local clubs. Some clubs embrace the develop of the player to a higher level, others want to hold your child back for their financial gain.

It is easy to see what clubs are in it for the kids and what clubs are in it for themselves.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X