Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Will be taking this advice. I think we need to part ways.
    May be best, but I still encourage you to talk to the DOC first.

Comment

Is it normal that clubs hold pooled tryouts and do not tell you which team your kid will be on when they offer a spot on a roster? My kid's club just sent the "you have been selected for a place on the 2018 team" and only a month or so later did they provide the actual team rosters, where you knew you were on the A or B team. Is this how it usually works?

Comment

Is it normal that clubs hold pooled tryouts and do not tell you which team your kid will be on when they offer a spot on a roster? My kid's club just sent the "you have been selected for a place on the 2018 team" and only a month or so later did they provide the actual team rosters, where you knew you were on the A or B team. Is this how it usually works?
        No. My experience is that the club offers you a spot on a specific team if it's a pooled tryout. It is also my experience that players are told that they can be moved up or down based on effort, performance, and need. I have seen players decline to move up, and understand it, but every player I have seen who was moved down left the club of their own accord at the end of the season. Of course, all of this, about team placement, promotion, and relegation, was verbal and not written into any contract.

Comment

Yes, it is a slap in the face. The club used you in the Fall... Needed players and/or wanted you as a paying customer so put your daughter on the team. Now, after you paid for a certain level/certain coach/certain situation, for what was assumed to be an entire year... your daughter was bumped down. You should ask for a refund unless it works to your benefit (better situation for your daughter).
          Correct - this is the major problem with Club Soccer here in NH. It is a business first, winning second, & player development comes third.

The sheer numbers of "clubs" in a state like NH is crazy. I lived and coached in NC for the better part of 12 years and the club structure here amazes me - not in a good way. The club I coached for had over 250 kids in the girls side and we were very clear about the 1 year commitment to the player and our placement of them within the levels of teams.

I have only seen 3 clubs in NH that I think do right by the kids and parents - just saying.

With that said I will say take your money, time, and energy and invest it into Futsal and Samba training and play a smaller club schedule. Play middle school and high school soccer, add one season of club and do Futsal & Samba - indoor "hockey soccer" is an abomination of the game.... and go from there.

Comment

Don't sign up for that. I've never seen an offer that didn't outline the team, which level it is, and where they are playing.

Comment

I have only seen 3 clubs in NH that I think do right by the kids and parents - just saying.
              Which clubs have you had the positive experience with?

I believe LHIFA is doing a great job (http://nhpr.org/post/low-cost-high-l...on-opportunity).

Up in central NH we are trying to be a player first and financial stability (all volunteer) second at Lakes Region United.

I've also seen some great dedication from Mount Washington Valley Soccer Club volunteers.

I'd be interested to hear about other clubs that people think are trying to 'do it right'!

Comment

Correct - this is the major problem with Club Soccer here in NH. It is a business first, winning second, & player development comes third.

The sheer numbers of "clubs" in a state like NH is crazy. I lived and coached in NC for the better part of 12 years and the club structure here amazes me - not in a good way. The club I coached for had over 250 kids in the girls side and we were very clear about the 1 year commitment to the player and our placement of them within the levels of teams.

There's really only 3 clubs that are legitimate clubs anyway. Anyone else is playing in glorified rec leagues and is a waste of time. Trying to compare NC to NH is a worthless exercise at best, offensive at worse.

With that said I will say take your money, time, and energy and invest it into Futsal and Samba training and play a smaller club schedule. Play middle school and high school soccer, add one season of club and do Futsal & Samba
                I don't see why it's an either/or scenario. You can play futsal, a large club schedule, middle-school and high-school if you want. First hand experience here (just saying)

- indoor "hockey soccer" is an abomination of the game.... and go from there.

Correct. This cropped up in NE a couple of decades ago and utilized existing hockey facilities. Over time, more places are in place without the boards. I cannot stand those and they are dangerous and bad habit-forming.

Comment

"I don't see why it's an either/or scenario. You can play futsal, a large club schedule, middle-school and high-school if you want. First hand experience here (just saying)

Kids need some recovery time. Soccer is fast becoming the leader in overuse & chronic injury in youth and high school sports, especially in girls.

Play a smaller club schedule (spring only) while doing Samba (summer) and playing school schedule (fall in NH - when I was in NC it was a spring sport) and Futsal in the winter. That summer break doing Samba and some exposure clinics will be more beneficial. This way the player get their technical growth through Samba & Futsal - very technical game - and tactical in HS & Club.

As a college recruiter we are seeing more freshmen with chronic overuse injury who end up missing time and even red shirting die to injury until we get them where they need to be.

Comment

Why don't you just start your own Samba recruiting thread and be done with it?

Ok program, nothing outstanding.

Overuse isn't a problem if you mix up the activities within the game itself. Practices should mixing in strength, conditioning, video reviews, skills, games and on/off the court and field. It won't be a problem.

The problem with sticking with schools vs. clubs is coaching and pitches. Neither are up to par, and more of the problem with injury than anything else. I've seen blown knees just by walking across a "field" and hitting a hole.

Comment

Why don't you just start your own Samba recruiting thread and be done with it?

Ok program, nothing outstanding.

Overuse isn't a problem if you mix up the activities within the game itself. Practices should mixing in strength, conditioning, video reviews, skills, games and on/off the court and field. It won't be a problem.

The problem with sticking with schools vs. clubs is coaching and pitches. Neither are up to par, and more of the problem with injury than anything else. I've seen blown knees just by walking across a "field" and hitting a hole.
                      Blown knee is acute injury and not chronic. Acute injuries happen in every sport. Chronic injuries like tendonitis, PFS, Medial Tracking Syndrome, compartmental syndrome, and ITB strain are overuse injuries that result in the body not having time to recover from the repetitions placed on it.

BTW - not recruiting for Samba - just seen how our players benefit from it vs. the kids who have not used it.

Comment

Blown knee is acute injury and not chronic. Acute injuries happen in every sport. Chronic injuries like tendonitis, PFS, Medial Tracking Syndrome, compartmental syndrome, and ITB strain are overuse injuries that result in the body not having time to recover from the repetitions placed on it.

BTW - not recruiting for Samba - just seen how our players benefit from it vs. the kids who have not used it.
                        It was a reference to the crappy facilities most schools play on.

And, yes, you are recruiting for Samba. When you constantly say "Play Samba", what in the world could that possibly mean otherwise?

If you are with a serious club, there is no repetition. That's the point behind varied trainings.

Comment

I need clarification I think. It sounded to me like the OP was talking at a younger age, even below where school soccer is to be considered. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

But, other than the facilities question for Middle School - which is a crapshoot - you can do what is the comment was without much trouble. That level school is just for enjoyment anyway and is pretty low stress. Lower than a club scrimmage most of the time.

As you get to HS, clubs at a high level don't do a fall season (unless you are in DA) anyway so no concern there.

I agree...sounds like an agenda was being set for marketing purposes that didn't really apply to the question at hand. Thread looks like something on the MA board...

Comment

I need clarification I think. It sounded to me like the OP was talking at a younger age, even below where school soccer is to be considered. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

But, other than the facilities question for Middle School - which is a crapshoot - you can do what is the comment was without much trouble. That level school is just for enjoyment anyway and is pretty low stress. Lower than a club scrimmage most of the time.

As you get to HS, clubs at a high level don't do a fall season (unless you are in DA) anyway so no concern there.

I agree...sounds like an agenda was being set for marketing purposes that didn't really apply to the question at hand. Thread looks like something on the MA board...
                            OP here. Yes, I was speaking of an age group right below middle school. I haven't any idea what samba is so not sure why all the talk on that. I do think our club does a good job on varied training but we play indoor and not futsal.

Comment

OP here. Yes, I was speaking of an age group right below middle school. I haven't any idea what samba is so not sure why all the talk on that. I do think our club does a good job on varied training but we play indoor and not futsal.
                              OK sounded like it. I'd say you have a few years before worrying about those concerns.

Playing "indoor" per se isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on what the trainings are like. If they are games with the hockey boards...I am not a fan at all. Players get lazy with their passing (i.e. no reason to find feet....just dump it in the corner and it won't go out), players cherry-pick and hang off-sides, plus it's way too rough. Now, if they just use it as a warm place to practice and do drills, that's fine especially at younger ages.

Futsal is a completely different animal and most of the programs around here only recently have embraced it as a training tool. But, I don't want to go too far down that path.

I will say I am not a fan of how your club is going about this. I have seen clubs bringing in players and making the team more competitive, and making players compete for spots and playing time as you get a little older (12+), but to "demote" someone down I think deserves a direct conversation with the Coach or DoC.

Good luck

Comment

OK sounded like it. I'd say you have a few years before worrying about those concerns.

Playing "indoor" per se isn't necessarily a bad thing, depending on what the trainings are like. If they are games with the hockey boards...I am not a fan at all. Players get lazy with their passing (i.e. no reason to find feet....just dump it in the corner and it won't go out), players cherry-pick and hang off-sides, plus it's way too rough. Now, if they just use it as a warm place to practice and do drills, that's fine especially at younger ages.

Futsal is a completely different animal and most of the programs around here only recently have embraced it as a training tool. But, I don't want to go too far down that path.

I will say I am not a fan of how your club is going about this. I have seen clubs bringing in players and making the team more competitive, and making players compete for spots and playing time as you get a little older (12+), but to "demote" someone down I think deserves a direct conversation with the Coach or DoC.

Good luck
                                Thank you. We do both train and play games with the hockey boards. Our coaches do punish those who use the boards but it happens. Maybe we look into futsal for next season.

I will say this. Maybe I'm more upset than my D. Something for me to think about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X