Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Typical naive dreamer - hoping that his little Mia will be "discovered" at a cattle call. If your kid can't do something to be on the coaches' radar prior to the camp (either by having the right bullets on her resume or having a great reference from a coach, etc.), then you are clueless. Buy her bright pink cleats and shave her head, because that's the only way she'll be noticed.
    Anyone discovered before freshman year isn't going to Harvard.

Comment

Typical naive dreamer - hoping that his little Mia will be "discovered" at a cattle call. If your kid can't do something to be on the coaches' radar prior to the camp (either by having the right bullets on her resume or having a great reference from a coach, etc.), then you are clueless. Buy her bright pink cleats and shave her head, because that's the only way she'll be noticed.
      Pretty sure you are the clueless one. 35 kids (top 50 D1 school) is not a cattle call, and is where my kid was first noticed in 9th grade by coach that ultimately recruited her. Stop with your nonsense.

Comment

Occassionally you can be discovered at an event but it certainly isn't easy. You need to do whatever you can to get on their radar beforehand. Some programs might not be at your team showcases. If so, send video and have coaches make calls for you. See if the coach thinks you might be a fit. Don't bother if you're not unless its really a dream school and you want to give it a shot. Above advice about researching rosters is spot on. Targeting is paramount to succees

Comment

Pretty sure you are the clueless one. 35 kids (top 50 D1 school) is not a cattle call, and is where my kid was first noticed in 9th grade by coach that ultimately recruited her. Stop with your nonsense.
          That is a very different kind of camp and the kind that is preferred. However many are not that snsll at all. They'll easily have 70+ (even far bigger too) then split off the top players they really are interested in and the rest are there for the profit. Players should ask bbn before signing up. If that is the only kind of event they have then you need to be in that top group.

Also new rules are coaches can't talk about recruiting at ID events until junior year ( but obviously can via club coaches and player initiated phone calls after)

Comment

More like the true elites can’t be bothered with TS trash talk, and the rest are wannabes.
            Where do you fall?

Comment

35 kids is really small for an ID camp, but remember they are typically only looking for 6-7 kids and they have other ways of locating talent too.

Comment

Can everyone get over themselves? The bottom line is that there is not *only* one way to end up playing in college. Sometimes kids are discovered st showcases and camps; usually they are not. Sometimes video helps, sometimes not. Sometimes the club coach is instrumental in landing a commitment, sometimes not. Etc etc etc.

Do what works for your family, try a few approaches and see what is paying off.

It is helpful, I think, for all options to be discussed so we can all learn.

Comment

35 kids is really small for an ID camp, but remember they are typically only looking for 6-7 kids and they have other ways of locating talent too.
                  My son did two that were about 40 but those seem to be few and far between. Definitely much better than the big ones. There, unless you're moved to the "special group" you're paying to scrimmage all day basically.

Also, many of the camps will say "five of our freshmen were discovered at our ID camps. In reality most were invited/already on their radar; they didn't just magically wow the coaches sight unseen. That just doesn't happen often at those events. A few times sure, but not regularly at all.

Comment

You mean, absolutely none of it is true? Except the field hockey part?

I know you might have been joking but please don't lead people on with fictitious thoughts of scholarship or academic $'s at Ivies. It just leads to more misinformation. I had my next door neighbor tell me last month that his son is aiming for a baseball scholarship to an Ivy, because his cousin had received one and they want to play together. SMH.
                    What are you getting at? My wife was a straight A student and was recruited to play field hockey for them. "Recruited' was different then than now. There was no discussion of any athletic money.

What is fictitious?

Comment

What are you getting at? My wife was a straight A student and was recruited to play field hockey for them. "Recruited' was different then than now. There was no discussion of any athletic money.

What is fictitious?
                      There is no athletic money in the Ivy league, hence no discussion to be had. No merit $ either. Only financial aid if deemed eligible.

Comment

There is no athletic money in the Ivy league, hence no discussion to be had. No merit $ either. Only financial aid if deemed eligible.
                        OK. So, what did I say that was fictitious?

Comment

"He had on my Harvard tie on. Like sure HE went to Harvard."

Comment

I find anything with the word “Harvard” in it will get a MA crowd all hot and bothered. It just stirs up the Brahmin blood. Never more true than on this thread.

It’s funny that the lawsuit that led to the admission discoveries in the article mentioned by the OP was over preference for Asian students in admissions. I’m sure Asian student athletes are in the vast minority at Harvard, particularly on the soccer teams.

Comment

I find anything with the word “Harvard” in it will get a MA crowd all hot and bothered. It just stirs up the Brahmin blood. Never more true than on this thread.

It’s funny that the lawsuit that led to the admission discoveries in the article mentioned by the OP was over preference for Asian students in admissions. I’m sure Asian student athletes are in the vast minority at Harvard, particularly on the soccer teams.
                              Asian tiger students are far too busy getting perfect test scores and perfect GPAs while accumulationg high value EC's to participate in elite level sports.

Comment

thank you , you've been hepful

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X